10 newbie questions (carnival, first time, kids)

sunnymw

First, about us. We are a family of five, but six of us will be going on this trip---possibly 8.

It will be me, my boyfriend, 3 kids (8 and 6 year old boys, 3 year old girl), and my mom for sure. Also joining us could be her boyfriend, and a close friend and coworker of mine. The whole premise at this point is that my mom took us to Germany last year, and so we are surprising her with a cruise this year (I told her to bring a swimsuit, we may be going to the beach since we live close to the beach--and thankfully, as a German citizen with green card, she always carries her passport/ID/cards everywhere already).

So, questions:

1. We are looking to sail out of Tampa, FL... during the week of March 25-Apr 5 (my kids' spring break). I see a cruise with Carnival that's 5 days (sailing 3/30). Are there any others I should be considering? It will be our first, and I'm trying to stay within a budget. I'll be using a tax refund to book in mid to late February. If all of us go, there will be a law enforcement officer per room, and I know some lines offer discounts. Adjoining/close rooms nice, but not a deal-breaker.

2. When we traveled to Germany, I had to have a notarized statement from my ex husband allowing international travel with the kids (which no one asked for). Do I need this for the cruise?

3. I've read about holds being placed on credit cards. If I'm taking mostly cash, is there a way to avoid this altogether? My intention is to also pay off my car with the rest of my refund (about $2k, woo!) but if I need to wait until that hold is lifted and do it when I get home, that may be doable. :\

4. Weapons. It's unlikely we will drive without service weapons. Am I correct in assuming no firearms are allowed on board? What about pocket knives and the like?

5. The cruise I'm looking at is on the Carnival Paradise. What is there for KIDS to do on this ship? (8, 6, 3) I am absolutely terrified that they're basically going to fall over the edge and drown. I have no problem spending the whole cruise with my kids, but a few hours on one of the days ALONE would be cool too... ;)

Also, less important, I heard something about them doing a dry dock to remodel this winter since it's an older ship?

6. The sign and sail cards... I'm assuming kids have those too? Can I keep them from being able to charge anything on them, or set a limit of some kind? Is there an FAQ on what exactly it is/does?

7. Cell service. I'm sure their dad will want some form of daily check in. Is there an astronomical charge to check in either via text or internet once a day? We're on Verizon.

8. Wine. One bottle per adult, correct? (And we could buy more at the ports of call?)

9. What EXACTLY is included (in the price of the cruise)? Any drinks? Tea? Soda? Juice? Just water? Water with lemon? All the food except what? All the room service except...?

The gym? The sauna? Obviously not spa treatment stuff?

(I understand gratuity will be expected, of course)

10. Is check-in the same as an airport? One suitcase and one "carry-on"? Complete TSA workup and all?

I'm sure there will be more to come, but thank you so much for reading and answering in advance. I've read a few threads here or there but I'm hoping for specific answers in relation to this ship/line if possible :)

(also, if I missed a thread that covers something entirely, I won't be offended if you just link to that thread of course!)

Thanks!

Yes...if the Father isn't going, get a notarized letter giving permission...better to have it, IF you need it!

Cash is fine....it's "DEBIT" cards that get the aggravating holds...not credit cards!

NO GUNS or knives over 3" allowed...do NOT attempt to bring them on the ship!

Everyone gets a card...for the small kids, YOU keep their card...unless they're alone on the ship, they don't need to carry it...it's the cabin key as well as ID for leaving and rebounding the ship.

e-mail is the cheapest way....if you're only getting 1 text a day, it shouldn't break the bank.

Wine is only for bring on at home port..if you buy it in another port, they will hold it until the cruise is over.

Include in your fare: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast. Also, your meals in the dining room and buffet, and usually some other venue...depends on the ship. The gym is included, but not classes! I believe the sauna is also included.

You may bring liquids onto the ship...so it's not quite the same. There is really no luggage limit on the ship. You will go thru a metal detector, but that's about it.

Edited by cb at sea

Limit on luggage is the size not quantity, and that is only for those you are carrying on. Must be airline carry on size so as to fit thru the xray scanner. Larger luggage you can check in with the porters, as many as you want and as huge and you want.

Just don't bring so much that you have issues storing it all in your cabin.

First, about us. We are a family of five, but six of us will be going on this trip---possibly 8.

It will be me, my boyfriend, 3 kids (8 and 6 year old boys, 3 year old girl), and my mom for sure. Also joining us could be her boyfriend, and a close friend and coworker of mine. The whole premise at this point is that my mom took us to Germany last year, and so we are surprising her with a cruise this year (I told her to bring a swimsuit, we may be going to the beach since we live close to the beach--and thankfully, as a German citizen with green card, she always carries her passport/ID/cards everywhere already).

So, questions:

1. We are looking to sail out of Tampa, FL... during the week of March 25-Apr 5 (my kids' spring break). I see a cruise with Carnival that's 5 days (sailing 3/30). Are there any others I should be considering? It will be our first, and I'm trying to stay within a budget. I'll be using a tax refund to book in mid to late February. If all of us go, there will be a law enforcement officer per room, and I know some lines offer discounts. Adjoining/close rooms nice, but not a deal-breaker. There are several cruises and cruise lines out of Tampa - stick to your budget. Carnival is a good value line.

2. When we traveled to Germany, I had to have a notarized statement from my ex husband allowing international travel with the kids (which no one asked for). Do I need this for the cruise? Good idea to have it.

3. I've read about holds being placed on credit cards. If I'm taking mostly cash, is there a way to avoid this altogether? My intention is to also pay off my car with the rest of my refund (about $2k, woo!) but if I need to wait until that hold is lifted and do it when I get home, that may be doable. :\

4. Weapons. It's unlikely we will drive without service weapons. Am I correct in assuming no firearms are allowed on board? What about pocket knives and the like?

5. The cruise I'm looking at is on the Carnival Paradise. What is there for KIDS to do on this ship? (8, 6, 3) I am absolutely terrified that they're basically going to fall over the edge and drown. I have no problem spending the whole cruise with my kids, but a few hours on one of the days ALONE would be cool too... ;)

Also, less important, I heard something about them doing a dry dock to remodel this winter since it's an older ship? There is a kids camp on board with counselors. Lots of activities for them so you can have some time alone. There will most likely be a slide for a pool, plus sports courts to play basketball, maybe mini golf.... Lots for the kids to do.

6. The sign and sail cards... I'm assuming kids have those too? Can I keep them from being able to charge anything on them, or set a limit of some kind? Is there an FAQ on what exactly it is/does?

7. Cell service. I'm sure their dad will want some form of daily check in. Is there an astronomical charge to check in either via text or internet once a day? We're on Verizon. Cell phone usage is extremely expensive on board. You can buy a package of internet minutes and the kids can be in touch with their Dad via email. If your ports are American (San Juan, St. Thomas...), then you can probably use the phone for the kids to call their Dad.

8. Wine. One bottle per adult, correct? (And we could buy more at the ports of call?)

9. What EXACTLY is included (in the price of the cruise)? Any drinks? Tea? Soda? Juice? Just water? Water with lemon? All the food except what? All the room service except...?

(I understand gratuity will be expected, of course) Meals in the main dining room, buffet, coffee in the buffet and main dining room, 'tap' water, maybe lemonade, tea (iced?) are included. You can purchase soda by the can or buy a soda card. The soda card, however, cannot be shared and your kids will need their own. I don't know if there is a child's soda package. Room service is generally included with a possible surcharge for some items or during certain hours. The gym is included in your fare - spa treatments are additional charges (and way overpriced).

Gratuities are charged automatically to your account every day. They are per person. You do not need to tip everytime you buy a drink as the gratuity is automatically charged to you account. Grats for drinks and spa treatments are 15%. You can always give an additional tip if you feel your service was exceptional.

10. Is check-in the same as an airport? One suitcase and one "carry-on"? Complete TSA workup and all? No suitcase limits for the cruise - that is number of suitcases. However, cabins are small and storing the suitcases can be problematic. You can store 2 - maybe 3 - under the bed. The carry on can fit in the closet.

I'm sure there will be more to come, but thank you so much for reading and answering in advance. I've read a few threads here or there but I'm hoping for specific answers in relation to this ship/line if possible :)

(also, if I missed a thread that covers something entirely, I won't be offended if you just link to that thread of course!)

Thanks!

Enjoy your family cruise.

Debbi

--and thankfully, as a German citizen with green card, she always carries her passport/ID/cards everywhere already).

Thanks!

Better tell her to bring everything ... Maybe she flies in and you know 100% that she will take passport and green card with her. The ship's manifest will have her as a German citizen with green card.

Be careful with the phones. They are accumulating roaming charges even if you don't use them. Ours is always switched off completely. Somebody more technology savvy will be able to tell you exactly what to do.

Do any of you like camo clothing/hats/bags/scarves? Leave all of it at home. It is illegal on several islands and in some countries.

Edited by Floridiana

So, questions:

1. We are looking to sail out of Tampa, FL... during the week of March 25-Apr 5 (my kids' spring break). I see a cruise with Carnival that's 5 days (sailing 3/30). Are there any others I should be considering? It will be our first, and I'm trying to stay within a budget. I'll be using a tax refund to book in mid to late February. If all of us go, there will be a law enforcement officer per room, and I know some lines offer discounts. Adjoining/close rooms nice, but not a deal-breaker. I think the only one that give a LEO discount is Royal Caribbean. Carnival is great, especially since you have kids. They do a military on board credit for current and vets, so that might help some, too, if any of you served.

2. When we traveled to Germany, I had to have a notarized statement from my ex husband allowing international travel with the kids (which no one asked for). Do I need this for the cruise? Definitely. Saw someone get turned away from a cruise once for not having this!

3. I've read about holds being placed on credit cards. If I'm taking mostly cash, is there a way to avoid this altogether? My intention is to also pay off my car with the rest of my refund (about $2k, woo!) but if I need to wait until that hold is lifted and do it when I get home, that may be doable. :\ They only do holds on debit. But, you do not have to use a card, you can just plunk down cash. They let you know when it gets low.

4. Weapons. It's unlikely we will drive without service weapons. Am I correct in assuming no firearms are allowed on board? What about pocket knives and the like? Cannot take on firearms. I would hate to leave it in the car, as it isn't unheard of for cars to be robbed in the parking garages. But, easy fix... call the police stations/sheriff's offices where you're sailing from and ask if they will store your fire arm as a favor to another LEO. We have a friend who is a Fed, and she stores hers that way, as she can fly with hers, etc., just can't take it on the ship. They stored it for her in Ft. Lauderdale.

5. The cruise I'm looking at is on the Carnival Paradise. What is there for KIDS to do on this ship? (8, 6, 3) I am absolutely terrified that they're basically going to fall over the edge and drown. I have no problem spending the whole cruise with my kids, but a few hours on one of the days ALONE would be cool too... ;) Carnival isn't my favorite cruise line, but I still had a lot of fun. That said, I think it has the best kid's program outside of Disney, just from what I've seen. There is a whole children's program, there are tons of pools, etc. You probably won't see them for hours at a go. Most kids adore the kid's program.

Also, less important, I heard something about them doing a dry dock to remodel this winter since it's an older ship?

6. The sign and sail cards... I'm assuming kids have those too? Can I keep them from being able to charge anything on them, or set a limit of some kind? Is there an FAQ on what exactly it is/does? with older kids, you can set theirs to where they can't charge. Not sure if you can put a set amount of not, but ask as you embark and get your cards. They'll know for sure.

7. Cell service. I'm sure their dad will want some form of daily check in. Is there an astronomical charge to check in either via text or internet once a day? We're on Verizon.

10. Is check-in the same as an airport? One suitcase and one "carry-on"? Complete TSA workup and all?

Thanks!

See the red above! I think others have answered most of the stuff I had no clue about. Enjoy your cruise, it's a great way to travel with family!

So, questions:

1. We are looking to sail out of Tampa, FL... during the week of March 25-Apr 5 (my kids' spring break). I see a cruise with Carnival that's 5 days (sailing 3/30). Are there any others I should be considering? It will be our first, and I'm trying to stay within a budget. I'll be using a tax refund to book in mid to late February. If all of us go, there will be a law enforcement officer per room, and I know some lines offer discounts. Adjoining/close rooms nice, but not a deal-breaker.

Be aware that it is also spring break for the college crowd and they tend to flock to the shorter-than-7-day cruises. You may find that waiting until the last minute to book will likely leave you with few cabin choices and those available will be scattered around the ship. All the balcony cabins have already been sold for the sailing you are looking at.

I'm not aware of any professional discounts other than military.

2. When we traveled to Germany, I had to have a notarized statement from my ex husband allowing international travel with the kids (which no one asked for). Do I need this for the cruise? Yes

"Holds" seem to be a problem with debit cards. You can use cash to settle your onboard account.

A list of prohibited items can be found at: http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-544510

Ship specific information can be found at: http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-paradise.aspx

Also, less important, I heard something about them doing a dry dock to remodel this winter since it's an older ship? Currently scheduled for drydock/upgrades February 2015. Last upgrade was 2008

6. The sign and sail cards... I'm assuming kids have those too? Can I keep them from being able to charge anything on them, or set a limit of some kind? Is there an FAQ on what exactly it is/does? Yes to all these items.

7. Cell service. I'm sure their dad will want some form of daily check in. Is there an astronomical charge to check in either via text or internet once a day? We're on Verizon. Contact Verizon for coverage and cost information

8. Wine. One bottle per adult, correct? (And we could buy more at the ports of call?) The allowable limit is one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only in their carry-on luggage)

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-food/?shipCode=PA

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/view-all-onboard-activities/?shipCode=PA

While there is no limit on the amount of luggage you bring aboard, Carnival does ask you try to keep limit yourself to two "checked" bags per person weighing no more than 50 pounds each. Carry-ons must be able to fit through a typical airport scanner.

Thanks!

I have answered a number of your questions above. Most of the information you are looking for can be found on the Carnival web site. Cruise line specific questions are best asked on the forum for that cruise line.

I'm not sure how you plan to travel (ie: number of cabins and how many in each cabin.) It isn't often you find a cabin that will accommodate 5.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

Another question. All adult passengers are vapers (but no longer smokers). Is vaping allowed on board or only in certain places? Or is it regulated at all?

Carnival policy: Cigarette, E-cigarette and personal vaporizer smoking will continue to be allowed in designated exterior open deck areas, as well as in our night clubs (except Carnival Sunshine), on ships with designated jazz clubs (See ships below), and in certain areas within the casino (for playing guests) and casino bar.