Passport Needed

So my DH and I are leaving in February on the Oasis Of The Seas, sailing to Nassau Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Marteen do we need passports for all three ports? Im wanting to make sure before I send out the need paperwork and pictures to get ours renewed? Thank you in advance.

Is travel insurance required? No

Do you need travel insurance? Yes

Is a passport required? No

Do you need a passport? Yes

Take your expired passports as they can be renewed easier with than without if you ever get caught out :)

Edited by fishtaco

Except that cards often don't carry the info. It's usually in another database that you access. For your idea to work, every country would have to agree to a format and pay for the infrastructure to make it work. It would not work.
Yeah, for that idea to work we'd need some type of web accessible by anyone -- and it'd need to be world wide. That could never happen. And a common format, well, that'd take organization and cooperation. Like, maybe as much organization and cooperation as it takes now for other countries to physically inspect passports.

I maintain that in 2014 we shouldn't still be using paper books. A better system is possible. I mean, in the 80s I had to stand in line to register for my college classes; today my daughter does it via computer. Today we can order a Jimmy John's sandwich or a pizza over the internet. We can watch a cruise ship pulling away from the port -- live. Businesses are embracing technology and change because people want it. Why are we still using the same old-fashioned passport system with all its warts and bumps?

Actually, I could say the same thing about voting, but that's another topic altogether.

And yes, we came from St. Thomas so I believe if you come from another island via an excursion you have to have a passport :)
Yes, depending upon your island plans, a passport may be a requirement. This is up to each individual to research and determine for himself.
Why not? It is an acceptable form or identification. You can use it when filling out an I9 when beginning employment.

We haven't always, but all it took to convince us was the airline not spelling my name correctly. The first thing out of the TSA agent's mouth was "do you have a passport?" I did, but it was locked in the safe at home. A bunch of random items that I could pull together with my correct spelling later, I got through security in neigh time to walk on the plane and take off.

Yes, it really was the airline's fault. Years ago when you could reprice all airfare and get future credit. Some airlines had you make reservations with the call center to use the credit. When I got the confirmations the next day I notified them if the error. They "noted it in the system," but didn't change it. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Further, I've never been scared of losing my passport. It hasn't happened yet.

Would the airport have rejected a state-issued driver's license as a form of identification? My husband, who is a junior, is constantly irritated at the airlines; his company's travel agent makes his flight reservations, and they frequently mess up his "junior". All it takes is a glance at his license, and he's on his way.

I've never lost my passport either -- but I have a friend (not an idiot friend either) who did. And I've read about it happening plenty of times on this board.

Btw you need a passport to re-enter the US from Canada or Mexico. And on a cruise not having a passport only works if the cruise leaves and returns from the same US port. I have started using my passport on domestic flights. I know no one expects to be stuck in a foreign country but just read the posts and the increasing number of people who have to get sick are removed in an emergency. Clearly not something any of us plans.

Just makes sense to travel with them.

always travel with ours. one never knows when you will need it.

Just flew with my 94 year old mother and TSA refused to allow the use of her expired (3 months) California Drivers License. I told him that he was lucky it was expired (no grin). She did have a passport but that was expired also. Luckily she had her military dependent ID (no expiration date) and they took that. Doesn't seem to make sense to not allow use of an expired ID card if you can clearly see the person is who it says it is. But, heck it's the government!

My father has no passport and no DL, and he flies. He gets there early and answers their questions. And gets on a plane. There's even a section on the TSA site about it. They *wanted* your mom to have ID with her, but ultimately she didn't *have to*, as long as she had time to spend and the answers to the questions...

but one copy will last you your whole life

Then why am I on my 3rd? :confused:

They won't always last your whole life. My first two cert BCs disintegrated with use (mainly once I hit college and for some reason school officials wanted to see the BC all the time.)

Yes, it really was the airline's fault. Years ago when you could reprice all airfare and get future credit. Some airlines had you make reservations with the call center to use the credit. When I got the confirmations the next day I notified them if the error. They "noted it in the system," but didn't change it. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

It shouldn't be that difficult for them to spell "Phred" :D:D:D

Btw you need a passport to re-enter the US from Canada or Mexico. And on a cruise not having a passport only works if the cruise leaves and returns from the same US port. I have started using my passport on domestic flights. I know no one expects to be stuck in a foreign country but just read the posts and the increasing number of people who have to get sick are removed in an emergency. Clearly not something any of us plans.

Just makes sense to travel with them.

It does, not arguing that at all, I travel with mine and it stays current. Our next cruise though the "kids" will all be traveling with BC and DL and we don't expect issues - we attempted to get college kid renewed but she ran into so many loopholes trying to since you have to use a check to pay and she's paperless and by the time I could have gotten her the check we were in expedited timelines. I fully admit I should have been more on top of it but I blink and months pass I've been so busy so we will go on a wing and a prayer :)

But just wanted to say you need a passport to reenter from Mexico or Canada by air - a US citizen cannot be denied entry into their home country at a border - No, it won't be a smile and you waltz right in, you'll need to prove yourself and get some secondary inquisitions but it could be done.

Travelling without adds extra stress but sometimes that's how it is!

My father has no passport and no DL, and he flies. He gets there early and answers their questions. And gets on a plane. There's even a section on the TSA site about it. They *wanted* your mom to have ID with her, but ultimately she didn't *have to*, as long as she had time to spend and the answers to the questions...

Then why am I on my 3rd? :confused:

They won't always last your whole life. My first two cert BCs disintegrated with use (mainly once I hit college and for some reason school officials wanted to see the BC all the time.)

I dunno. I have only owned one in my 48 years. Are you especially rough on things?

Ok here's a stupid question.

My passport's coming up for renewal in July 2015. If I send it in in April does it keep the original expiration of July or will it be whenever you send it in for renewal?

No not July, they will begin your next 10 years whenever you apply for renewal. They cheat you out of the extra months. :rolleyes::D

No not July, they will begin your next 10 years whenever you apply for renewal. They cheat you out of the extra months. :rolleyes::D

What? The State Department cheating people? :rolleyes:

Thanks. That's what I kind of figured. After 10 years I was so use to that expiration date.

Would the airport have rejected a state-issued driver's license as a form of identification? My husband, who is a junior, is constantly irritated at the airlines; his company's travel agent makes his flight reservations, and they frequently mess up his "junior". All it takes is a glance at his license, and he's on his way.

I've never lost my passport either -- but I have a friend (not an idiot friend either) who did. And I've read about it happening plenty of times on this board.

I had to pull out credit card, debit card, voter registration, etc in addition to my license. it was my first name misspelled. The airline left out a letter in the middle of my name. It should've been ...rina... It said ...ria... The experience wasn't pleasant at 05:30. So I don't rely on my license at all anymore.

Date of birth/social security # would be adequate to get a replacement passport. They can look it up from that alone. Same as well for credit cards lost. Have customer service # and that's all you need. Photo copies of front/back of card is very unnecessary and could add to fraudulent activity if gotten in the wrong hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this. If you want to take all that info with you, might as well take the real thing. If not, leave the passport on board - it won't make a bit of difference if you have to visit an embassy/consulate whether you have a copy or not. The consular officers can look you up without it.

Ok here's a stupid question.

My passport's coming up for renewal in July 2015. If I send it in in April does it keep the original expiration of July or will it be whenever you send it in for renewal?

Usually when they update the passport will be from date they do the passport.