Excursion to Angkor Wat from port

psygist

I will be on the RC Legend of the Seas next summer calling on the port of Sihanoukville in Cambodia. Does anyone know if they will offer a shore excursion to Angkor Wat from the port? It looks to be some distance away so I was wondering if the cruise line had an excursion there.

Certainly some cruise lines offer an excursion to Phnom Pehn, about 3hrs 30 from Sihanoukville.

But Angker Wat is more than twice as far, 340 miles, around 8hrs each way.:eek: And I don't believe they offer it as a day excursion by air.

What they may offer is a two to three day excursion by air, probably from Bangkok & catching up with the ship - perhaps at S'ville or perhaps at Saigon.

That was offered on our cruise at an add-on of around $3000 IIRC. And of course you miss a chunk of the cruise as well.

Folk do take up that excursion, but it's surely much more sensible to privately arrange Angkor Wat as a pre or post-cruise extension - as some CC members have done.

JB :)

We just finished a tour to ankor wat yesterday. No, you can't do it from the port. If your crusie begins or ends in

Singapore it is easy to do. We took silk air of singapore airlines non-stop flights about 2 hours plus each way. We had our hotel provide us with

pick up and return. Had been there before contacted a guide service. We had a driver, car a guide for two for about 55 usd for the two of us.per day. We did all the major sites, including sunrise and sunset.

Hotel for four nights and breakfast and transfers was 210usd. 4 stars central location. Cost of the three day pass is now 40usd. also 20 usd

for a couple of sites away from the main area. Shopping is also great. suggest the night market by the river. Also you can do it from

Vietman, Dang Nan and HCMC easily. I would suggest at least three

days of sites, two of flying and shopping. Very interesting place

especially the out of the way temples.

bcvncanada,

DH & I are planning to go to Siem Reap pre cruise from Singapore so were happy to read your report. Would you share the name of your hotel? How far in advance did you book the Silk Air tickets? Do you feel it is necessary to book a driver in advance or just rely on the hotel? In your opinion, which sites are not to be missed?

Thanks for any and all information.

Edited by jmlh

I can recommend Bopha Ankor which is near the river and just across the bridge from markets, etc. Check tripadvisor for recent reviews, though.

There are larger, more modern hotels near the temples but I think it's nicer to be closer to markets, restaurants, bars for a wander during the evening.

It is easy to reach the temples via mototuk (recommended) or taxi. You will find the same drivers "stick" outside the same hotels and are usually then recommended by the hotel.

we stayed at the Somadervi Angkor Resort and Spa.

It is close to the park hyatt hotel and close to

the new market and pub street. You also can

walk to the day market. It has a great pool.

We have stayed at this property twice and

enjoyed it. They do have a nightly show by

their pool-dancing and food for 2 hours nighlty.

Can't here it in the room though. We have booked

through booking.com and with the hotel. We got

a better deal with the hotel. We were there at the

end of the rainy season. As for Silk air, the earlier the

better. Prices go up as it is one of the few airlines

with non stop flights. Malayasia has a very cheap one

connecting thought kl. You can contact singapore air and

they will help you with silk air. Hotels and guides are

groups, suggest you contact someone. There are over

1000 guides in the area that are licensed and speak English.

We used chhouk Sophean, who spoke excellent English, had

good knowledge. bayon_sophorn@yahoo.ca. He can arrange

a car and driver also. You will have to bargin to get a

proper price. Check out what you want to see and let

them know the sites. Shopping for clothes is very cheap

and name brands are there. Many people for Austrialia, come

for a couple of days and purchase everything. We meet several

that had three cases of 30 kl. each.

Thanks so much for your responses. I think that a lot of research will be required for this holiday and the more information I receive the better the plan will be.

I am thinking 4 nights & 3 full days. Is this about right?

• 3 weeks later...

If you are not already considering this, put it on your must do list. It was a fantastic day trip. I recommend using Tuk Tuks as your mode of transportation. We stayed at the Saem Siem Reap hotel and would highly recommend it. We never booked trips in advance but let the hotel staff make arrangements the night before. Prices were unbelievably cheap. $56/nt for 4 star hotel, $15 per day for TukTuk which includes driver. Restaurant meals $5-$10 per person.

We just did this. 4 nights and 3 full days was plenty of time to visit the temples. We stayed at the khmer Mansion Boutique Hotel. Very convenient location near Pub Street and lots of restaurants within walking distance. Highly recommend and they will help arrange your tours. $15 a day for a Tuk Tuk driver.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the lovely Rose Apple Boutique B&B. It has great breakfasts served in the dining room which opens to the pool. It is walking distance to downtown and close to some good restaurants.

We spent three days touring the temples and on Tonle Sap visiting the stilted village of Kampong Phluk. We spent a fourth day visiting the silk farm (very interesting), the war museum (we spent a long time with our guide, who saw the Kmer Rouge kill his father, but joined them anyway as a child soldier, having no where else to turn), and the national museum.

Our wonderful tuk-tuk driver was Savuth: http://www.angkortuktuk.net/

• 1 year later...
We just finished a tour to ankor wat yesterday. No, you can't do it from the port. If your crusie begins or ends in

Singapore it is easy to do. We took silk air of singapore airlines non-stop flights about 2 hours plus each way. We had our hotel provide us with

pick up and return. Had been there before contacted a guide service. We had a driver, car a guide for two for about 55 usd for the two of us.per day. We did all the major sites, including sunrise and sunset.

Hotel for four nights and breakfast and transfers was 210usd. 4 stars central location. Cost of the three day pass is now 40usd. also 20 usd

for a couple of sites away from the main area. Shopping is also great. suggest the night market by the river. Also you can do it from

Vietman, Dang Nan and HCMC easily. I would suggest at least three

days of sites, two of flying and shopping. Very interesting place

especially the out of the way temples.

Hi, this sounds like what we had been looking for. Would you be able to email me the details, guide, hotel, etc. please, if you still remember. Thank you so much. Nicole 48nickynoo@gmail.com