Wifi phone calls in port

hac82

Has anyone used their iPhone or Android in ports to make wifi calls to landlines or to cellphones that do not use an app to receive them? What do you use, are there any costs for the calls even if you find a free wifi service in the port?

I have a Samsung galaxy phone which has Wi-Fi calling already installed and I have T-Mobile. I use my Wi-Fi calling to make calls from around the world (I travel a lot for work) and it works great. Mine works just like I am calling from my phone no extra apps required for me or anyone I call. I believe T-Mobile also now has this available on their I-phones.

Hmmm I think what you found was that cellular service is free in those locations because they are US thus treated as domestic call coverage. No wifi needed. When you are in other places in the Caribbean where you are wifi dependent, you can use Skype and/or Google Voice--there are a few differences between them as to which calls are free and which involve a small charge. But based on my experience in the islands with wifi cafes and similar Internet outposts accessible by tourists, it can be hard to get connectivity that is reliable and strong enough to support VOIP calls. If it's important that you connect by phone, better to purchase an international plan from your cell carrier--prices are a lot more reasonable than they used to be.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

FaceTime audio works marvelously if you're calling iPhone to iPhone and otherwise, Skype is a go to app.

Keep in mind, as mentioned above, certain ports (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas or US Territories) are free to use normal cell service in depending on your carrier (AT&T for sure covers the above).

^ this is def a cool feature, all other carriers lagging behind on it, AT&T delayed rollout to sometime in 2015, Sprint to follow, Verizon apparently says it won't offer!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app