Westerdam or Nieuw Amsterdam?

Moriah

Looking at the exact same itinerary, leaving one day apart this coming spring - Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam. Westerdam pricing is a couple hundred dollars per person less. I'm taking my sister - first cruise of her life - we are sisters in our late 50's and early 60's just in case that matters...

Any opinions on which ship would be a better choice? Oh one other thing - I love the spa and will probably purchase us thermal suite passes for the week - anyone know how the two spas shape up?

Thanks in advance for any and all info and opinions!

I sailed on the Westerdam and loved it. However, given an identical itinerary I would say go for the Nieuw Amsterdam, only because it has the Tamarind restaurant. It's an Asian restaurant you pay extra for. Westerdam doesn't have it. If that isn't important to you, either toss a coin or go with the cheaper option. Either way you will have a great cruise on HAL.

With the exception of the Tamirind and size (Nieuw Amsterdam = 2106 passengers, Westerdam = 1848 pasengers) they are very much alike. Both are terrific. JMHO, but as its your sisters first cruise I'd save the couple hundred and go with the Westerdam. Then take the NA after you get her "hooked". Anyway, you certainly won't go wrong with either ship.

Having been on both the N.A. and the Westerdam......

(and yes, I liked the Tamarind)

I found the service better on the Westerdam when we were on.

The ship seemed very 'happy' and we are booked on her again.

The N.A. experience was my least favourite on HAL ships. Now, I was probably unlucky, but the Westerdam has the highest returning passenger ratio of the HAL ships next to the Prinsendam. That's pretty impressive IMO.

I'd go with the Westerdam and hope she is the Queen of Horns that day :)

? Queen of Horns?

Yes, when the right captain is on, she toots forever as she is heading out.

Some of us sail a way addicts watch her on the webcam as she puts on quiet a show.

She is the Queen of Horns for ships sailing out of Port Everglades.

She sails today by the way:)

Yes, when the right captain is on, she toots forever as she is heading out.

Some of us sail a way addicts watch her on the webcam as she puts on quiet a show.

I LOVE that! :)

So far nobody is saying "N.A. is absolutely worth the extra money..." I've been on Eurodam so I'm familiar with Tamarind and liked it a lot but don't think I'd pay the extra just for that... So I'm leaning toward the Westerdam right now.. with the prices the way they are we might even get a signature suite.. still would like to hear anyone's impressions of the N.A. Spa (thermal suite and hydropool) and how they compare to the Westerdam's?

I LOVE that! :)

So far nobody is saying "N.A. is absolutely worth the extra money..." I've been on Eurodam so I'm familiar with Tamarind and liked it a lot but don't think I'd pay the extra just for that... So I'm leaning toward the Westerdam right now.. with the prices the way they are we might even get a signature suite.. still would like to hear anyone's impressions of the N.A. Spa (thermal suite and hydropool) and how they compare to the Westerdam's?

sorry as to the spa, I didn't see that much difference.

sorry as to the spa, I didn't see that much difference.

No difference in the spas between the two ships except maybe a different color scheme in the Hydrothermal Pool area. (Don't remember for certain.) But, physical layout and facilities, they are identical.

No difference in the spas between the two ships except maybe a different color scheme in the Hydrothermal Pool area. (Don't remember for certain.) But, physical layout and facilities, they are identical.

Thank you!! I just let my TA know... The Westerdam it is!! As said, just for Tamarind I can't justify an extra 600 dollars for the cabin. Thanks all!

Thank you!! I just let my TA know... The Westerdam it is!! As said, just for Tamarind I can't justify an extra 600 dollars for the cabin. Thanks all!

Have a great time!!! $$ had nothing to do with my recommendation. I hope the Queen of Horns is as great for you as she was for us last time we were on and hopefully she will be again in April:)