Getting diamonds reset -- would you share your experience please?

CowPrincess

I love vintage look costume jewelry. I would probably wear them as is-if they are wearable. I almost bought a ruby and opal wedding set years ago from the 1870's. I didn't because the gold on the ring bottom had worn super thin, plus they were too small of course (sz 4)since people were smaller then. I was afraid a jeweler would charge more than they cost (which was a lot because the ruby was about 30 points and the 2 opals tiny as seed pearls,th erice was based on age not quality for sure) Plus if the jeweler did a louzy job, they would lose their integrity to boot. The person selling the ring set was at his booth (an antique mall near Franklin ,NC in an old school) was also a jeweler and he said he would never dream of touching them, that they were a collector's item only. That convince me I did not want them lol!

I told him I wish he would copy the style and make a set I could wear. He took down my phone number, he was going to call me with a quote, but never called. This was over 20 years ago, before internet was common.

I love vintage look costume jewelry. I would probably wear them as is-if they are wearable. I almost bought a ruby and opal wedding set years ago from the 1870's. I didn't because the gold on the ring bottom had worn super thin, plus they were too small of course (sz 4)since people were smaller then. I was afraid a jeweler would charge more than they cost (which was a lot because the ruby was about 30 points and the 2 opals tiny as seed pearls,th erice was based on age not quality for sure) Plus if the jeweler did a louzy job, they would lose their integrity to boot. The person selling the ring set was at his booth (an antique mall near Franklin ,NC in an old school) was also a jeweler and he said he would never dream of touching them, that they were a collector's item only. That convince me I did not want them lol!

I told him I wish he would copy the style and make a set I could wear. He took down my phone number, he was going to call me with a quote, but never called. This was over 20 years ago, before internet was common.

Oh I did have my original engagement ring set into a pendant. it is 32 point solitaire. Hubby bought me Past present future ring (75 points)when we were married 20 years and at 25 years he upgraded the center stone 37 points to 1 carat.

At 30 years i told him to save the money for a trip lol! I rarely wear my ring, as I find it a bit ostentatious for every day wear. I know many love big rings, but I don't.

Well, I'm not wearing them at all now despite being a fan and owner of a lot of fine vintage jewelry. One reason is that I have unpierced ears (as did my grandmother, whose diamond earrings I now have) and I am terrified of losing one of the earrings. As for the rings, my hands take a lot of abuse every day, so rings are only worn occasionally. And I really don't care for the look of the ones I've inherited, except for one garnet ring from my grandmother. I have long slender hands, and the tiny rings that were in style back in the 1890s/1900s look really odd on me.

Can you remember the opal wedding set well enough that you could get a local jeweler to remake it? Custom jewelry is expensive, though, so you may not get enough pleasure out of them to justify the cost :)

Oh I did have my original engagement ring set into a pendant. it is 32 point solitaire. Hubby bought me Past present future ring (75 points)when we were married 20 years and at 25 years he upgraded the center stone 37 points to 1 carat.

At 30 years i told him to save the money for a trip lol! I rarely wear my ring, as I find it a bit ostentatious for every day wear. I know many love big rings, but I don't.

Is it a solitaire pendant that you got made? I've thought about a pendant with the 3 biggest diamonds. I already have a large-enough solitaire diamond pendant, AND 3 large-ish diamonds, so if I do a pendant, it needs to include at least 3 diamonds.

Your "upgraded" ring sounds like a real eye-catching piece!

"Save the money for a trip" -- I love that. :D

Thanks very much for sharing your experience! It is giving me more to think about. :)

Well, I'm not wearing them at all now despite being a fan and owner of a lot of fine vintage jewelry. One reason is that I have unpierced ears (as did my grandmother, whose diamond earrings I now have) and I am terrified of losing one of the earrings. As for the rings, my hands take a lot of abuse every day, so rings are only worn occasionally. And I really don't care for the look of the ones I've inherited, except for one garnet ring from my grandmother. I have long slender hands, and the tiny rings that were in style back in the 1890s/1900s look really odd on me.

Can you remember the opal wedding set well enough that you could get a local jeweler to remake it? Custom jewelry is expensive, though, so you may not get enough pleasure out of them to justify the cost :)

Is it a solitaire pendant that you got made? I've thought about a pendant with the 3 biggest diamonds. I already have a large-enough solitaire diamond pendant, AND 3 large-ish diamonds, so if I do a pendant, it needs to include at least 3 diamonds.

Your "upgraded" ring sounds like a real eye-catching piece!

"Save the money for a trip" -- I love that. :D

Thanks very much for sharing your experience! It is giving me more to think about. :)

Yes, he set it into a solitaire. I picked a flower setting (I think they call it buttercup?) he had a catalog that I looked through and chose. But you know now that I am 60 and my neck is full of wrinkles a dainty pendant just does not work anymore. Now I wish I had left it in my engagement ring as I would wear that a lot more often than my past present future ring. I may just put it back. I still have the ring. Of course it would make sense to use the 37 point stone as I have that too and just give the pendant to my daughter.

I have a couple do pieces of jewelry I inherited. My mother's wedding rings were stolen when I was a kid. Her diamond wedding band my dad bought to replace her rings my sister got. I got her 14k gold watch and her mother's ring from the 70's which is all genuine rubies and 14 kgold as all 4 of us were July babies. Mom was not big on jewelry but what she had was good and as she wore them all the time she wanted what she had to be good..I do not wear neither, but I can't get rid of them either,as they bring back memories of my mom.

My grandfather had 2 maiden aunts that never married. One had some jet beads that my mom inherited when he died. She never wore them just kept them in her jewelry box. No one wanted them when mom died so I took them. They are well over a 100 years old I am sure. I doubt though they are worth much,but the fact that my mom kept them I will keep them. I told my daughter,after I am dead, if she is not interested, to make sure they stay in the family, if none of her cousins want them then make sure one of my maternal cousins get them.

I have been married 46 years now (still takes me by surprise:p) and my engagement ring from 1968 was a plain band with a single diamond in a flower like setting that was raised. At 30 years, I used some inheritance money from an aunt to buy a diamond channel band -- from Diamond's International on a cruise:p (probably would not do that now!). Loved the channel band but had to add a diamond when I got home. By 32nd anniversary my engagement ring had "caved in" broken on one side. We took it to a local jeweler and had the diamond mounted in a very similar setting and that setting put in the middle of a channel band that almost matched exactly the channel band from Jamaica. Best of both worlds -- when I look at the ring it is the setting we chose when I got engaged but in a more modern (1990's :D) style. I wear the original thin wedding band with the two channel bands.

My DMIL had a few nice pieces that were split between her 2 daughter in-laws.

Her large diamond family heirloom engagement ring was reset into a garnet and diamond ring. I tried to wear this but just too heavy for my smaller hand so cut off the shank and made a pendant on chain -- looks good and worn sometimes. 3 large diamonds from 2nd marriage wedding band made into 3 lovely pendants for each of 3 granddaughters while 2 smaller diamonds given to 2 grandsons and used later placed in engagement ring settings. The diamonds from 25th wedding anniversary ring were remade into anniversary ring for sister-in-law. An antique setting 2 diamond ring from another family member that showed up in a sock drawer -- I wear everyday and just love -- like it was made for me. So that about sums it up. We have worn in the setting, we have split and made new designs, we have repurposed and changed form and stayed true to the old while making something new. All involved are happy with the results and remember fondly the woman who loved us all dearly. Make a decision but make the decision to not keep beauty hidden in a jewelry box.

If you do decide to sell the rings/jewelry, consider taking the items to your local coin and gold shop or look for a coin show near you. I have bought wonderful items at about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of like items in jewelry store. If you have gold chains/watches/rings/silverware/broken jewelry anything with real gold or silver, the coin shop can buy it at the price of gold or silver. You do have money hidden in the jewelry boxes and drawers of the house! I buy all my gold chains from the coin shop. Just a different way to buy jewelry.

I had a ring set with 4 small princess cut white diamonds, and replaced it with a blue diamond. It was done in Aruba in a store near the port. I can't remember the name, but it was the store with all the police badges on his wall.

I am very happy with the reset and wear the ring every day. The blue diamond reminds me of the oceans I am so fond of sailing on. :D

007.jpg

543-1.jpg

momofmeg, thank you! I just saw a ring setting that I quite like, so I'm sort-of now tending towards a ring. I completely understand you not wanting to get rid of something because of the memories. I struggle with that! ( have a great-uncle's signet ring -- enormous; my dad's baby ring; a setting from my paternal grandmother; and all kinds of other jewelry, in addition to the items I'm going to get re-made. I understand that "memory" attachment!)

Bowie Me Me you said " All involved are happy with the results and remember fondly the woman who loved us all dearly. Make a decision but make the decision to not keep beauty hidden in a jewelry box." That is profound. Thank you for the encouragement :D

Spendogirl, thank you for the picture. I agree, that re-set looks GORGEOUS :)

If you have several stones, rather than setting them all into a single ring, why not access the gold content from the jewellery and have them fashioned into a bracelet? You mentioned having a gold bangle made, and I think if you had the stones set into the bangle, it would be something you may choose to wear more often than a big sparkly ring. Just my 2 cents worth.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

Edited by ger_77

ger_77, if I could actually use all the gold bits I own, it'd be one "killer" bangle :) From what I understand, though (from a lot of internet research, but I have not yet tried to nail down my jeweller) any gold that I turn in would get sent to a refiner who would then give me some credit towards different gold that had already been re-refined from someone else's gold. So I would get a credit of some sort of "wholesale" value, then be charged retail for my "new" gold.

Given that one of the "bits" is a gold medal my grandfather won in 1917, and another is an enormous signet ring that a great-uncle owned, I'm reluctant to turn those back into the "gold pool". I'd be okay with knowing that those items were part of my NEW item, but not okay knowing I'd sold them off. So that reduces how much gold I'd be refining. Without those two BIG chunks, the bangle will be a lot smaller.

I do like the idea of a bangle with diamonds, especially seeing as I have a whack of smaller diamonds that could be used as pavè (wrong accent, I think).

I agree that I'd probably wear a bangle a lot more than any other type of jewelry. And no one would ever guess it was real, which is quite appealing ;)

If I were you, I would seek out a goldsmith and have it custom made. If you can find an independent who does their own melting/refining/casting, I believe that would be the way to go.

Let us know what you finally decide - and then post a pic, I'd love to see the final piece.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

ger_77, if I could actually use all the gold bits I own, it'd be one "killer" bangle :) From what I understand, though (from a lot of internet research, but I have not yet tried to nail down my jeweller) any gold that I turn in would get sent to a refiner who would then give me some credit towards different gold that had already been re-refined from someone else's gold. So I would get a credit of some sort of "wholesale" value, then be charged retail for my "new" gold.

Given that one of the "bits" is a gold medal my grandfather won in 1917, and another is an enormous signet ring that a great-uncle owned, I'm reluctant to turn those back into the "gold pool". I'd be okay with knowing that those items were part of my NEW item, but not okay knowing I'd sold them off. So that reduces how much gold I'd be refining. Without those two BIG chunks, the bangle will be a lot smaller.

I do like the idea of a bangle with diamonds, especially seeing as I have a whack of smaller diamonds that could be used as pavè (wrong accent, I think).

I agree that I'd probably wear a bangle a lot more than any other type of jewelry. And no one would ever guess it was real, which is quite appealing ;)

Again if you decide to "sell" bits and pieces of gold jewelry, chains, medals etc we have found that over the years a large coin store (including those with internet site -- we use Golden Eagle) or if you live in a major city visit a coin show and they will give you a better price on the gold. Your jeweler is just another middleman but jewelry has a much higher mark up than the coin store does because they do not put in a "artistic" factor. Again work on that idea that the memory of the person really is not founded in an object but in your own mind and relationship with that person. Helps to clear up your possession cluttered life -- so much stuff to take care of that really we do not use anymore but it was my Mom's or Aunt Dot etc. I have a cousin doing this now and also a brother-in-law. Clearing up houses and possessions of a dearly loved relative who just didn't take responsibility for finding the wheat among the chaff. You know 3 generations from now that adorable 5 year old grandson is not going to be wasting time deciding if his great grandfather's ring should be kept in the giant jewelry box that is now needed to keep all the former generation's memory pieces. At some point there is not a memory at all just an object. Do those who come after you a favor and take the items that you truly like and use them and the rest have to go. Convert those things that have monetary value to money and buy some good either for yourself or for others. Many of my great grandparent's possessions were sold and the money used to buy a beautiful organ for their small church and that organ is still spreading their love of people and God today. True I am not very sentimental type I guess but I also think of the Biblical parable of hiding the 'talent (gold/possession/talent) in the ground so that it would not be lost or damaged' and the master was very displeased with his servant and took the talent away. Your uncle's massive ring is really not doing any good and maybe it could.

Of the 4 people in Canada that I would trust with this, I think one may in fact be able to do the melting/refining. I'll talk to his ex-wife and find out where he is working :) Oh yes, I will definitely post a picture when it is done!

So much good luck on this project. It has been fun thinking through solutions for you. When I got tired of polishing all the silver that I got for my wedding and my Mom's and Mom in love's, my daughters in their 30's went through it all in about 30 minutes. Just one question for keeping -- is it sterling or plate? :D Not hard for them to make decisions.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I loved having jewelry remade just for me.

My husband had a brooch of his mother's that we had made into a wedding ring for me (combo engagement/wedding). The stones were very old mine-cut diamonds and the gold was, well, gold.

We finally found a jeweler who not only helped us design a piece unique to me and the diamonds. I really like channel set diamond jewelry but because of the cut (and size variation) of my stones, I couldn't have a true channel.

ring.jpg

Then I realized I was hanging on to my mother's engagement ring from her second husband (a really nice diamond along with a dainty pendant she had made from the diamond from my father and some other jewelry. I'm not dainty and would never have worn her engagement ring so we had this pendant made.

IMG_2832JPG.jpg

And while rooting around my jewelry box, I found a half tennis bracelet (diamonds only on half of the bracelet) that I had converted to a dangling pendant.

journeyJPG.jpg Haven't really worn it much so it might turn into something else someday.

Bowie Me Me said

At some point there is not a memory at all just an object.

I think I need to have this painted (or embroidered) and framed :D Thank you!

and

work on that idea that the memory of the person really is not founded in an object but in your own mind and relationship with that person.

Thank you for those wise words. I have moved literally TONS of stuff out, after I had a similar talk with myself a million times :D You are absolutely correct, the "stuff" is just "stuff". It is not my great-uncle OR my grandfather or the grandmother I never met. It is just a "thing". I needed that reminder. Sincere thanks. (My DH doesn't understand this issue at all, nor do any of my friends except one. And she is a hoarder :eek: so not much help with this problem!) :D

Hahaha on the "sterling or plate" .... absolute truth there!

RobinAnn, thank you for those pictures. Your new jewelry is lovely!

I think I am convinced :D

Seriously, thanks to all who have contributed and encouraged me! It really helps!

I have been scouring the internet looking for ideas. This is the closest (so far) to my vision. Yes this is costume jewelry, but it could be made as non-costume

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Alexis-Bittar-Polished-Golden-Torn-Cuff-with-Pave-Crystals/prod168620446/p.prod?ci_src=14110925&ci_sku=sku151032505&ecid=NIALHy3bqNL2jtQCAN

I better get busy selling off the "bits" :D

I also like the cuff. Nice look. Be careful to have the diamonds set without prongs. They could catch on many fabrics and could produce pulled threads. Look into invisible setting, maybe bezel setting, to see if you like that.

Edited by sail7seas

ger_77, RobinAnn and Sail, thanks for the feedback!

Sail, interesting you raise that point because I had gotten to that thought, too. I don't want anything really protruding. I have a whack of 5 and 10 point diamonds that could be set pavé (hah! found the right accent ;) ) ....

so then I was thinking I could just do that ... use up all my little diamonds for the cuff ..... and then realized that does not solve my "big diamonds" issue :D which is what started all of this. I do know that if I spend the $$ to have that cuff made in karat gold, that will be the end of my spending for jewelry for a good long while. :eek:

I definitely need to discuss this with a jeweller!

ger_77, RobinAnn and Sail, thanks for the feedback!

Sail, interesting you raise that point because I had gotten to that thought, too. I don't want anything really protruding. I have a whack of 5 and 10 point diamonds that could be set pavé (hah! found the right accent ;) ) ....

so then I was thinking I could just do that ... use up all my little diamonds for the cuff ..... and then realized that does not solve my "big diamonds" issue :D which is what started all of this. I do know that if I spend the $$ to have that cuff made in karat gold, that will be the end of my spending for jewelry for a good long while. :eek:

I definitely need to discuss this with a jeweller!

OR

Take a trip to Dubai - prices are very reasonable for gold workmanship:D

OR

Take a trip to Dubai - prices are very reasonable for gold workmanship:D

Hahaha :D I can hear my dear grandma saying "Penny wise and pound foolish" .... and it isn't the workmanship cost I'm concerned about; it is all the gold I'll need if I can't re-use what I own :D

Hahaha :D I can hear my dear grandma saying "Penny wise and pound foolish" .... and it isn't the workmanship cost I'm concerned about; it is all the gold I'll need if I can't re-use what I own :D

I suspect your jeweler will weigh the gold you want to use, will credit you for the value you both agree upon and will make your new jewelry piece from his own gold. The various pieces you have all melted together may produce a different color or could even be more costly than using the jewelry maker's gold and getting credit for your own.

Please let us know if that is the case,,,,,,, if you ask the jeweler. That interests me.

Edited by sail7seas

Sail, back in post #11, middlehaitch mentioned having her gold melted and reused. Her comment also mentioned that she ended up with a variety of colours of gold. I would really really like that, if I can get it done. It would help with the "connection" to the pieces I melted, if in fact my (preferred) jeweller can melt the items. She has a pretty amazing set up, so I'm hopeful! If she can't I'll check with my 2nd choice and see if he can do it. Failing that, I've got a few contacts for selling my gold without involving the jeweller.

I'll keep everyone in the loop :D

I also like the cuff. Nice look. Be careful to have the diamonds set without prongs. They could catch on many fabrics and could produce pulled threads. Look into invisible setting, maybe bezel setting, to see if you like that.

Great reminder--thanks!