Ease My Fears & Some Advice...

Shop 2 It

Don't yell, don't make fun.

I'm going on my first cruise on Saturday on the Freedom out of FLL. I'm worried about being seasick. I went on a small cruise years ago from FLL to Bahamas and everyone was so sick on the ship. I didn't get sick but it's only because I stayed on the top deck outside and laid down and slept for the few hours it took to get there. I ended up flying back to FLL just so I wouldn't have to go on the ship again. Please tell me that the Freedom will be better than the silly Bahamas cruise.

Also have a question about getting picked up when we return. We will take our own luggage off the ship. What time should I have my friend pick us up at? We want as early as we can as my friend I'm cruising with has a flight at 10:30 out of FLL.

Thanks.

i can't tell you categorically that freedom will be better than 'that silly bahamas cruise'...

if it was 'years ago' - maybe you were on a smaller ship... perhaps there were rough seas. without more information, i can't exactly evaluate the situation to give you pros and cons, etc. chances are though if it was 'years ago', freedom may be a larger and thereby more stable ship...

you can get seasick meds at the guest services desk or infirmary onboard. or bring some on yourself! anything from over the counter type pills like bonine to patches to 'sea bands', and things like ginger. also it is commonly suggested you eat salty type foods - like chips, pretzels, or BACON, along with bread and such to keep a full stomach, etc.

the exact time you'll get off will depend on how many others are also taking luggage off the ship and when you get there / in line. you should probably fine getting of by around 8.00 with self assist - MOST TIMES - but it will vary based on exactly when you dock and the ship is cleared.

enjoy your cruise, and welcome to cc :)

Don't yell, don't make fun.

I'm going on my first cruise on Saturday on the Freedom out of FLL. I'm worried about being seasick. I went on a small cruise years ago from FLL to Bahamas and everyone was so sick on the ship. I didn't get sick but it's only because I stayed on the top deck outside and laid down and slept for the few hours it took to get there. I ended up flying back to FLL just so I wouldn't have to go on the ship again. Please tell me that the Freedom will be better than the silly Bahamas cruise.

Also have a question about getting picked up when we return. We will take our own luggage off the ship. What time should I have my friend pick us up at? We want as early as we can as my friend I'm cruising with has a flight at 10:30 out of FLL.

Thanks.

If you have a tendency towards seasickness you might want to go to your doctor and get a scopalamine patch. I don't know if it will be possible for your friend to make it to a 10:30 flight. They don't let anyone off the ship until approved by customs so it is typically 830 by the time they even allow the Platinum self assist to get off. Next in line are the regular self assist so if you do that it would still be 9:30 or so before you are done going through customs and are totally off the boat and most flights require that you check in at least an hour before the flight. So I don't see how you can do that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I really like Bonine. I believe the generic name is meclazine. I get mine at Walmart, but I heard it can be bought at Costco for $5 for 100 pills. It doesn't make me drowsy at all. I love it! I also took ginger, and Hylands motion sickness tablets. We uses all of them, and thought the Bonine was the best. Also, the only time I felt ill, I looked to the horizon and felt better right away. Have fun, and good luck!

Sent from my ZTE_N9511 using Forums mobile app

I can't say specifically about this ship but I have been on other ships with RC, Carnival and HAL and only experienced seasickness one or twice, but not terribly bad. I know smaller ships can be problematic for seasickness. The larger and newer ships today have such great stabilization systems that the swaying is minimal, often during storms too.

I always wear seabands on my wrists and pack dramamine in case. The seabands have worked almost all of the time, then the dramimine for the other. Try to be prepared and follow the suggestions on seasickness prevention that are out there.

If memory serves, I think you are given beginning debarkation time on your paperwork. I know you have to wait for the ship to be released for any passengers to leave. My last cruise it was 7:00. You could check your paperwork. If there is a delay for the ship to be released that could be a problem for your friend. Others more experienced with Carnival and FLL might have more info on that issue.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Not so worried if she misses the flight out of FLL she can get another from PBI which is on the way home for me. I guess I'll just tell my friend to be on stand by to pick us up around 8-ish. And if he has to wait, then he can wait. :)

The cruise I took to Bahamas was on a small ship that makes day trips to the Bahamas.

Not so worried if she misses the flight out of FLL she can get another from PBI which is on the way home for me. I guess I'll just tell my friend to be on stand by to pick us up around 8-ish. And if he has to wait, then he can wait. :)

The cruise I took to Bahamas was on a small ship that makes day trips to the Bahamas.

This is also a much larger ship. I have a tendency to get car sick really bad and was really worried when I went on my first cruise. I went to the doctor and got meds for seasickness just in case. Which is what I would recommend.

But in all honesty this ship is going to be so large you probably won't even realize it is moving...

There are significant differences between that shuttle and the ship you are going on. I would say that your chances of getting sick like that are more unlikely than likely. Sure, it can happen, but not too common. That small shuttle ship doesnt have the stabilizers and the sheer size to help keep it smooth.

In 5 week long cruises I got sick one night, as we ran from a tropical storm. That next port day the pretty much steam cleaned the entire ship from people getting sick :rolleyes:

We took the Freedom in February and the only time I felt woozy was when we were at the bottom of the ship in the infirmary. Otherwise I never felt anything else really. The swaying was a little noticeable in my bunk sometimes but it felt like being in a hammock on a windy day.

I just want to be sure you are not misled.

Yes the larger ships reduces chances of being seasick no question, but some people do still get sick so don't rely on it being bigger to eliminate that for you. I would talk to your doctor and see what he/she feels would work best for you. If you are prepared it then is much more unlikely you will be seasick. Do not just simply take meclizine without consulting a Doctor.

Edited by Tampa8

I just want to be sure you are not misled.

Yes the larger ships reduces chances of being seasick no question, but some people do still get sick so don't rely on it being bigger to eliminate that for you. I would talk to your doctor and see what he/she feels would work best for you. If you are prepared it then is much more unlikely you will be seasick. Do not just simply take meclizine without consulting a Doctor.

Meclizine is fine. I take it frequently for vertigo. Sometimes you have to ask the drugist for it, as they keep it behind the counter. It is inexpensive. Also it will give you the best night sleep you have ever had.

It's not fine for some people.

Not to be taken, as just one example if you have asthma or have asthma like symptoms. There are other contraindications including if you are a heavy drinker, or have a few other ailments.

Edited by Tampa8

I am one who is prone to motion sickness, but I am also a cruise addict (20 cruises so far). The prescription scopolamine patch worked well for the first few cruises, but then I started having bad side effects from it. After that, I pretty much tried everything! What works for me is taking one Bonine every night, beginning the night BEFORE the cruise. My back up plan is ginger gum. It's awesome! You can find ginger gum in some large drug stores, but you can also order it from Amazon. It is sold by the same company that makes Seabands. If you hit some rough water and start to feel queasy, just pop a piece of ginger gum in your mouth, and you will be fine. It has a bit of a "bite" to it on the first chew, but you get used to it. I keep a piece in my pocket at all times on a cruise. I rarely need it, but when I do, it works.

I can tell you with certainty that the Dream will provide a much smoother ride than the small ship that took you to the Bahamas. I can't handle the motion of small ships! It has been my experience, that a big ship like the Dream has more of a bumpy type motion than the side to side sway of a smaller ship. It's that sway motion that makes you sick. But you might get lucky and have glassy smooth seas for your whole trip. If you go to a port that has tender boats to take you to shore (Grand Cayman or Belize), be sure to have a pack of ginger gum with you! You'll need it on the tender boat more than on the ship! Have fun!!

Seems you've gotten lots of good advice and the only things I would emphasize are start early if you're going to take Dramamine or meclazine-1 to 2 days before.... A dose at bedtime should let you take advantage of any drowsiness. :D

Also, try not to "talk yourself into" being seasick, by focusing on it too much. Put some prevention in place and think about the fun things to see and do instead. :cool:

We've been on the day trips to the Bahamas, those ships aren't equiped with the stabilizers that the Carnival ships have. Despite this you can still get sea sick, try one of the suggestions that are listed above, they are all good. And try to enjoy your cruise and don't think about being sick.

You were probably on the "Bahamas Celebration" when you were seasick. That ship is no where near as large as the mass market ships. for example, the weight and dimensions for the "Bahamas Celebration"

35,483 gross tons

673 feet long

79 feet wide

holds 1900 passengers

Vs

The "Carnival Freedom"

110,000 gross tons

952 feet long

116 feet wide

holds 2984 passengers

Basically, the bigger the ship, the smoother the ride, and the Freedom is one of Carnival's biggest ships sailing.

Hope all the other advice here regarding candied ginger and different medications really help you out. As for your freind and that (gulp!) 10:30 am flight out of FLL:

1) Gave them re-check the current flight details online, as the airlines can change the flight times. If it is later, then that is a good thing! If much earlier...Houston we have problem.

2) Alert the customer service desk asap about the need to get the earliest disembarkation possible, and the flight times for your freind, so they have a better chance to not miss their flight.

3) Have fun and don't stress :)

Ginger gum works WONDERS!:D:D

They sell it at Walgreens, if you have one in your area.

You should be fine.

Depending on where your cabin is located, the newer, bigger ships, such as the Freedom have better technology. Half the time you don't even know you are on a ship.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!