Prices rising next year

CarnieAddict

You do realize that this statement was made by the Carnival Corporation President and CEO Arnold Donald, and was not specific to CCL alone.

His statement was made to travel agents, and was to tell them he felt their commissions would increase. He said it is a goal to increase fares. He said in part that there was a "dramatic increase in capacity" in the Caribbean and that dampened fares. He says there will be a near double digit reduction in capacity next year.

The part I thought was funnier was his comment about not chasing down passengers to book direct with Carnival, and the company is not in competition with Travel Agents.

Again, temper all this with he was speaking to 900 travel agents at the time.

Here is the article.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/carnival-ceo-donald-cruise-fares-could-be-headed-up-next-year.html

Thanks for the link!

You do realize that this statement was made by the Carnival Corporation President and CEO Arnold Donald, and was not specific to CCL alone.

His statement was made to travel agents, and was to tell them he felt their commissions would increase. He said it is a goal to increase fares. He said in part that there was a "dramatic increase in capacity" in the Caribbean and that dampened fares. He says there will be a near double digit reduction in capacity next year.

The part I thought was funnier was his comment about not chasing down passengers to book direct with Carnival, and the company is not in competition with Travel Agents.

Again, temper all this with he was speaking to 900 travel agents at the time.

Here is the article.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/carnival-ceo-donald-cruise-fares-could-be-headed-up-next-year.html

Who uses travel agents anymore? People that still have a betamax?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

It seems to me that I am paying less for a cruise than I paid in 1994 and I don't mean in adjusted dollars either. I remember paying $1850 for two people in 1994 on the Festivale for an ocean view for a week in the Southern Caribbean. That is more than I paid for three people with a balcony recently on the Valor.

I still use a travel agent. I just used one to purchase my latest cruise and he beat the carnival rates by 25 bucks. Its not much but its something. And if I have a problem I call him directly and he fixes it. So its a betamax with cheaper prices and actual customer service so yea I still use one. Supposed progress is not always actually better.

Edited by rferr

Obviously a lot of folks, which is why there are a ton of online TA sites and smaller operations. Your idea simply isn't reality. Lots of people us TAs for all different types of trips.

The market will decide where cruise pricing will go. Strong demand will equal higher prices, weak demand lower prices. My March 2015 cruise has gone down by almost $500 in price since I booked in September.:D

You have hot it. If they arn't selling price will stay the same or come down

I don't personally use one any more, but there are a lot of people who still do, and several others who should. Here is an article from 11/2013.

Article actually has a quote from Carolyn Spencer Brown.

http://skift.com/2013/11/11/why-travel-agents-and-telephones-still-rule-cruise-booking/

"There’s a reason that Carnival Corp. and Norwegian Cruise Line each state that travel agents still handle a majority of their bookings: Cruise booking can sometimes be so complex it makes wedding planning seem to be a mere walk around the promenade deck."

Just booked the brand new Regal Princess yesterday for $386 with all taxes and port charges included! will book either the Divina or Eurodam this week for almost the same price. So, basically I'm getting 2 1 week cruises for the price of 1

NICE!! Last minute I assume Topo? Congrats!!

I don't personally use one any more, but there are a lot of people who still do, and several others who should. Here is an article from 11/2013.

Article actually has a quote from Carolyn Spencer Brown.

http://skift.com/2013/11/11/why-travel-agents-and-telephones-still-rule-cruise-booking/

"There’s a reason that Carnival Corp. and Norwegian Cruise Line each state that travel agents still handle a majority of their bookings: Cruise booking can sometimes be so complex it makes wedding planning seem to be a mere walk around the promenade deck."

I didn't see that quote but I did see one regarding a CC survey

"These respondents are hardly representative of the general public."

And our FEB cruise has gone UP $215 per person since we booked in January. That's comparing what we paid to same cabin today. Can't see it coming down to below what we paid but we were happy with the price then so no complaints.

If I was going to book the exact same category (inside - we got an upgrade when we first booked from a 4A to 4B) as "past guest" like we booked in March of 2014, our rate including TAXES AND PORT CHARGES is UP a little shy of $400 total for the two of us..........crazy..........and truly, our booked cruise for October 2015 per day is one of the most expensive cruises we have ever booked. I was hoping the rates would drop some before final payment but it doesn't look like that is going to happen............fingers crossed though.......for all of us:):)

I didn't see that quote but I did see one regarding a CC survey

"These respondents are hardly representative of the general public."

That site has some good reading on it, but it's layout is kind of messy. The quote I posted appears right under the picture and is in a font that makes it look like a headline or an ad, but it is actually the first paragraph.

I think they are right about the CC respondents. I have not been on here long, but many of the people on this site are very savvy, and much more capable of booking on their own then a lot of other travelers.

You can only sell products for so long below cost, and cutting corners to do so, before it will catch up. It's just taking Carnival a while to figure out.

And just how would you kow it is "below cost"??? Don't think any company can exist on selling a product "below cost"???? :confused:

The market will decide where cruise pricing will go. Strong demand will equal higher prices, weak demand lower prices. My March 2015 cruise has gone down by almost $500 in price since I booked in September.:D

I agree it is all about supply and demand. A couple of weeks ago there were no balconies available for the Oct. Bermuda cruise. Now there is 8B for $3088 cabin rate for 2 people. We paid $1808 for 2 people in an 8B when the cruise was first offered. Some cruises go up and others go down.

And just how would you kow it is "below cost"??? Don't think any company can exist on selling a product "below cost"???? :confused:

When dealing with a perishable surplus of inventory, you don't really have a choice. It's either deeply discount it to earn as much revenue as possible or let inventory remain empty with no onboard spend, no gratuities for the crew (Carnival does not extend compensation to employees above their minimal salary for empty staterooms) or possibly not being able to cover fixed costs, such as fuel and food.

When dealing with a perishable surplus of inventory, you don't really have a choice. It's either deeply discount it to earn as much revenue as possible or let inventory remain empty with no onboard spend, no gratuities for the crew (Carnival does not extend compensation to employees above their minimal salary for empty staterooms) or possibly not being able to cover fixed costs, such as fuel and food.

I kind of wonder what percentage of the ships labor is also a fixed cost? I know what you mean about not extending gratuities on empty cabins, but there are Officers, Managers, Non tipped employees, and the base (minimum) payroll for tipped employees. Still a sizable amount of payroll for the week, don't you think?

I kind of wonder what percentage of the ships labor is also a fixed cost? I know what you mean about not extending gratuities on empty cabins, but there are Officers, Managers, Non tipped employees, and the base (minimum) payroll for tipped employees. Still a sizable amount of payroll for the week, don't you think?

Of course. Carnival is a massive operation and labor is very costly, even with Carnival Corporation incorporating in the Republic of Panama.

I'm not buying that, at least not for the reasons you list. The biggest fixed cost for cruise lines who finance ships, IS the ship. Carnival doesn't have that problem. As onboard spending is up, per the last earnings call, I don't believe circumstances are as dire as some infer.

Fuel costs are way down and Carnival is likely busy hedging fuel because the price is certain to rise.

Frozen food is not going to perish in a week or two and perishables are loaded on a cruise by cruise basis, anyway. They know how much to have delivered to the ship and have the ability to load more in ports of call, as needed, including transferring from ship to ship.

CC is littered with stories of how to avoid spending on the ship, from smuggling liquor to buying private shore excursions to different insurance.

Some empty cabins are actually not a bad thing. Either to perform maintenance on or to offer to guests when some crisis occurs.

One of the primary reasons for filling cruise ships is that outsourcing contracts usually are based on ships sailing full and are priced accordingly, with a penalty if they are not.

I'm not buying that, at least not for the reasons you list. The biggest fixed cost for cruise lines who finance ships, IS the ship. Carnival doesn't have that problem. As onboard spending is up, per the last earnings call, I don't believe circumstances are as dire as some infer.

Fuel costs are way down and Carnival is likely busy hedging fuel because the price is certain to rise.

Frozen food is not going to perish in a week or two and perishables are loaded on a cruise by cruise basis, anyway. They know how much to have delivered to the ship and have the ability to load more in ports of call, as needed, including transferring from ship to ship.

CC is littered with stories of how to avoid spending on the ship, from smuggling liquor to buying private shore excursions to different insurance.

Some empty cabins are actually not a bad thing. Either to perform maintenance on or to offer to guests when some crisis occurs.

One of the primary reasons for filling cruise ships is that outsourcing contracts usually are based on ships sailing full and are priced accordingly, with a penalty if they are not.

My post wasn't about food. Staterooms, just as hotel rooms and airplane seats are perishable and once the ship sails, they can't sell them and why discounting is necessary.

My post wasn't about food. Staterooms, just as hotel rooms and airplane seats are perishable and once the ship sails, they can't sell them and why discounting is necessary.

Hotels will shutdown floors if necessary. Airlines will pull planes out of service.

perishable

[per-i-shuh-buh l]

adjective 1. subject to decay, ruin, or destruction: perishable fruits and vegetables.

noun 2. Usually, perishables. something perishable, especially food.