To enhance your check-in and boarding experience......

yankee 7

Ya I read that post too...

And got the impression that if the Traveller had a letter in hand that said Board at 4:00 PM and showed up on time as such, but infact ALL ABOARD was at 3:30 for a Sailaway before 5 PM, and therefore was REFUSED BOARDING

Not only would I be ticked...

I would be calling a lawyer

Cheers!

I would also call a lawyer. No matter if Celebrity themselves or the port authority sent the letter: in my opinion Celebrity is responsible to either provide correct check in times or adjust their boarding times to the times given to passengers by port authority.

But, knowing this, I will take my time to explore Sydney AND be at check in 30 min Prior to my designated check in time. Winning a lawsuit but still have my vacation ruined is not what I am in to.

This could be an interesting situation. We're on deck 8, arrive between 2:00 - 2:30, Not an issue, we usually arrive between 1:00 - 2:00 anyway. We live in Deland, Fl, a 3.5 -4 hr. drive to Miami, depending on THE TRAFFIC. This past June we sailed on NCL Getaway, Sat departure 4pm. We stayed in The Haven so we figured we'd get there early to check out the new ship. We planned our arrival to be about noon - 1:00. There was a terrible fatality accident on I95 just north of Miami. we sat in that traffic jam for 3 hrs. We finally boarded at 3:30pm. Only reason they let us board was they had about 300 passengers sitting in the same traffic jam (many phone calls made to NCL). So if you're in that last group and are driving give yourself a 3 hr. buffer, just in case. If you get there too early and they won't let you on, grab a cab and head into the city for a couple of hours. Better than missing the ship. IMHO...

We've had some really long drawn out check in lines, and perhaps Celebrity is trying to stagger check in to make it quicker.

Perhaps, but unless something has changed very recently, Royal Caribbean boards their Freedom-class and Oasis-class ships out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale without staggered boarding times using the same terminals as X. X should be able to do the same, no?

wow - that really throws a different perspective. especially since the less expensive cabins on lower decks are usually chosen by folks who may not be able to afford to buy last minute airfare to the next port.

i almost cant believe that they were there before the ship actually sailed, with a letter proving they were told specifically to be there at that time, and the ship wouldnt let them board

while i was leaning towards arriving at the assigned time, i think i will never follow an instruction if it puts me within 2 or 3 hours of last boarding time.

I know. I couldn't believe it either. I was hoping they were posters here but I guess not. But that's how the port authority part came up. They were saying when they showed the letter it was explained that it was the port that actually sent the letter and some type of law mandates the cruise lines to refuse boarding because the complete passenger list needs to be submitted one hour before sail away which was 4.

I was on a bus with them telling their story in Montego Bay and first saw them boarding in Cozumel. They were clearly receiving personalized service at the ship in Cozumel and on the bus in Jamaica they seemed ok with how Celebrity handled it so maybe their additional expenses were covered or they had travel insurance that covered it. Not sure. I walked right on at 11, no lines, no questions, no crowds.

I would also call a lawyer. No matter if Celebrity themselves or the port authority sent the letter: in my opinion Celebrity is responsible to either provide correct check in times or adjust their boarding times to the times given to passengers by port authority.

But, knowing this, I will take my time to explore Sydney AND be at check in 30 min Prior to my designated check in time. Winning a lawsuit but still have my vacation ruined is not what I am in to.

But see, that's exactly why I walked on pretty much directly from my flight. Whole I received the same text and email about staggered boarding, when I did the online check in and printed my xpress pass, THAT said board between 11:30-3. I figured if this staggered boarding was that important, my express pass would have indicated the specific time.

Why would Celebrity be responsible if the Port Authority got the times wrong? The Port Authority isn't owned by Celebrity. It's an entirely separate entity who should be held responsible if they made a mistake, not Celebrity.

And if Celebrity should adjust their departure time whenever someone else makes a mistake of some kind, be it departure times, documents needed, etc., they would never leave! :rolleyes:

I can't speak for Cozumel, which is where the poster was referring to.

But for Sydney, the times are set by RCL themselves, it's been operating like that for over a year, and there haven't been anyone turned away for meeting the requested boarding times.

And given check-in experiences here, I can't imagine people being turned away in that described situation. I have boarded within an hour before sailing, as have others I know of, and it hasn't been any problem.

I can't speak for Cozumel, which is where the poster was referring to.

But for Sydney, the times are set by RCL themselves, it's been operating like that for over a year, and there haven't been anyone turned away for meeting the requested boarding times.

And given check-in experiences here, I can't imagine people being turned away in that described situation. I have boarded within an hour before sailing, as have others I know of, and it hasn't been any problem.

I took it that the cruise started in S. Florida (Ft Lauderdale or Miami) and that is where the Pax were denied boarding for being late for the All Aboard. Makes sense cause the USA is really rigid with all the Homeland Security Requirements... Especially when it comes to submitting the Passenger Manafest

The next time the Poster saw them was Cozumel ... The Port where they caught up with the Ship (she was wondering WHO actually paid the airfare & other expenses). And by the time she saw them next it was Jamaica and they seemed relatively ok with the situation.

As the Poster said, she was very much hoping they were CC Members cause she would have liked to hear more about the situation and how it was handled (by them / by Celebrity etc)

Cheers!

What I heard was that Celebrity didn't send it out but that it was generated by the port officials. I don't know if I believe that part but anyway, I'd ignore it and go when the xpress pass says which is 1130-3.

Have any of us received a pre-cruise email/or letter from the Port Authority erecting our boarding experience?

I agree, something about that is definitely "fishy"....

I've ONLY received communication form the cruise line, never anything from a local port authority.

"erecting our boarding experience?" Now that would be a new shore side experience. At least for old men like me. Gives a new meaning to 123Go.

Sorry cle-guy but you did set yourself up for that.

And I suppose this post will be deleted.

Edited by Balloon Man

"erecting our boarding experience?" Now that would be a new shore side experience. At least for old men like me. Gives a new meaning to 123Go.

Sorry cle-guy but you did set yourself up for that.

And I suppose this post will be deleted.

Oh, us "not quite that old - YET" guys would consider it too ;-)