EPIC Haven 2 bedroom Family Suite

asubaru

If you have occupied one of these suites on deck 17, could you please give your opinion for a "quiet" or "noisy" room number?

I have researched and some have commented that there was considerable noise from the upper deck. I realize all rooms will have some noise but want to chose the best available.

Feel free to add anything else you feel noteworthy.

Thanks, Sue

Just returned from a 14 night transatlantic on the Epic in a 2 bedroom, stateroom 17018 and enjoyed it a lot. nice view of the courtyard when you opened your door. Only 3 rooms on each side have the courtyard view all others have wall views on decks 16 and 17. Other than the emergency helicopter evacuation where the chopper had to hover over the 18th deck for 30 minutes while air lifting the passenger off the ship it was fairly quiet. Occasional morning noise around 7:30 when the chair hogs are out moving the loungers around the ship and later in the evening when the crew are gathering the chairs back up to secure them to the deck. Being on the 17th deck was not bad just had to take the stairs down one flight to Epic Club, courtyard and grill. Got our exercise. Next time would like to experience deck 16 but the service was outstanding.

We have stayed in the same 2 BR suite on the 16th floor three times now. While I can't comment on the 17th floor fellow cruisers we spoke with staying on the 17th floor enjoyed it as much as we did on the 16th floor, you are closer to POSH, and the gym on the 17th and only a few steps down the stairs to the pool, hot tub and EPIC Club/restaurant.

Both floors had limited noise, we had two adults and 4 teenagers with us and made it work for space quite well, you will enjoy the Haven regardless of which floor you are on.

Just returned from a 14 night transatlantic on the Epic in a 2 bedroom, stateroom 17018 and enjoyed it a lot. nice view of the courtyard when you opened your door. Only 3 rooms on each side have the courtyard view all others have wall views on decks 16 and 17. Other than the emergency helicopter evacuation where the chopper had to hover over the 18th deck for 30 minutes while air lifting the passenger off the ship it was fairly quiet. Occasional morning noise around 7:30 when the chair hogs are out moving the loungers around the ship and later in the evening when the crew are gathering the chairs back up to secure them to the deck. Being on the 17th deck was not bad just had to take the stairs down one flight to Epic Club, courtyard and grill. Got our exercise. Next time would like to experience deck 16 but the service was outstanding.

Thank you for the helpful info. I read that the balconies are enclosed on Deck 16.....do you know if that is true of all of them?

Thank you for the helpful info. I read that the balconies are enclosed on Deck 16.....do you know if that is true of all of them?

The only enclosed balconies are forward facing - we were and are again in 16008 and loved it. The balcony was open......

Is there a reason you're set on deck 17? Just wondering, because whenever I check the Epic it only shows available cabins on deck 17. But when I call my rep at NCL he tells me there's all kinds of cabins on deck 16 (which I would prefer). I believe it's a (intentional) glitch on the NCL website.

We stayed in 16011 back in Nov 2012 and loved it. We had limited choice when I booked, but I wanted on deck 16 and this was the best option available. We were just a few steps away from the sliding door into the pool area.

The only noise from above worth complaining about was shortly after noon on the first sea day. I swear the Harlem Globetrotters moved in the cabin above us and had a two hour long open practice. (Seriously, in hindsight I'm thinking the people above us probably had some issues with the master bed and/or the master bath that only came to light the first night/morning. What I heard was the ships repair crew doing their job). Other than that, I didn't hear much from above other than the occasional cough when I was out on the balcony.

Anyways, if the option was available to me, I'd grab port-side cabin 16012 or 16014 as my first preference. Then 16016, then 16010, then 16008 in that order. When I was onboard I noticed that little hallway in front of these cabins had very little foot traffic. It seemed to be mostly 'local' foot traffic heading in/out of the Courtyard Grill. Most of the people forward of those cabins who wanted to get to the elevators (i.e. mostly everybody else) would scoot through the sliding door in front of 16010 and take the short cut through the pool area.

I could go into deeper detail, but it appears I'm already long winded.

Edited by rajones007
grammar.

We were in 17010 in January and have booked the same cabin for March. I only heard noise one morning -- deck chairs moving. It was short-lived and didn't bother me.

We liked this cabin because of the location -- it was obvious where our cabin was (last one before going into the forward part of the ship), so there was no looking at cabin numbers as we walked along. We were right across the way from the gym and spa treatment rooms, which we appreciated.

I liked being on 17 because there was less traffic and fewer doors to contend with on a daily basis. It was easy, though, to walk down the circular stairs and check on things at the concierge desk.

Anyways, if the option was available to me, I'd grab port-side cabin 16012 or 16014 as my first preference. Then 16016, then 16010, then 16008 in that order. When I was onboard I noticed that little hallway in front of these cabins had very little foot traffic. It seemed to be mostly 'local' foot traffic heading in/out of the Courtyard Grill. Most of the people forward of those cabins who wanted to get to the elevators (i.e. mostly everybody else) would scoot through the sliding door in front of 16010 and take the short cut through the pool area.

Glad to hear this, we have 16012 for the TA next April. We like to sleep in on vacation and will be hoping for quiet in the morning.

We have stayed in the same 2 BR suite on the 16th floor three times now. While I can't comment on the 17th floor fellow cruisers we spoke with staying on the 17th floor enjoyed it as much as we did on the 16th floor, you are closer to POSH, and the gym on the 17th and only a few steps down the stairs to the pool, hot tub and EPIC Club/restaurant.

Both floors had limited noise, we had two adults and 4 teenagers with us and made it work for space quite well, you will enjoy the Haven regardless of which floor you are on.

Thank you, Robert. It's obvious you like that deck/cabin...do you mind sharing which cabin number?

Is there a reason you're set on deck 17? Just wondering, because whenever I check the Epic it only shows available cabins on deck 17. But when I call my rep at NCL he tells me there's all kinds of cabins on deck 16 (which I would prefer). I believe it's a (intentional) glitch on the NCL website.

We stayed in 16011 back in Nov 2012 and loved it. We had limited choice when I booked, but I wanted on deck 16 and this was the best option available. We were just a few steps away from the sliding door into the pool area.

The only noise from above worth complaining about was shortly after noon on the first sea day. I swear the Harlem Globetrotters moved in the cabin above us and had a two hour long open practice. (Seriously, in hindsight I'm thinking the people above us probably had some issues with the master bed and/or the master bath that only came to light the first night/morning. What I heard was the ships repair crew doing their job). Other than that, I didn't hear much from above other than the occasional cough when I was out on the balcony.

You can't be too long winded....I really appreciate your input.

You are correct, the website doesn't show the availability on the 16th deck so that is one reason I didn't consider. I will talk to the rep to see what's available.

You obviously prefer the port side. Curious if you, or anyone reading, have done the Western Carib itinerary and if it good for views when in port?

I'm glad you brought up Deck 16...thanks, again.

We were in 17010 in January and have booked the same cabin for March. I only heard noise one morning -- deck chairs moving. It was short-lived and didn't bother me.

We liked this cabin because of the location -- it was obvious where our cabin was (last one before going into the forward part of the ship), so there was no looking at cabin numbers as we walked along. We were right across the way from the gym and spa treatment rooms, which we appreciated.

I liked being on 17 because there was less traffic and fewer doors to contend with on a daily basis. It was easy, though, to walk down the circular stairs and check on things at the concierge desk.

Thank you. 17010 seems to be a popular choice; not available for my dates.

Thank you. 17010 seems to be a popular choice; not available for my dates.

They only show limited availability online. Call and see what is available by speaking to a rep. Ours told us they always hold a certain amount of cabins back in each category for people who call.

Glad to hear this, we have 16012 for the TA next April. We like to sleep in on vacation and will be hoping for quiet in the morning.

16012 would be my #1 choice.

Please keep in mind that is based on my single Epic 7 day cruise. I like to people watch, and those observations are solely from that journey, and nothing more.

Of course you're going to get the people from further forward in that hallway going to the Courtyard Grill looking for breakfast. But those numbers will be few when you consider the grand scheme of things on the Epic. And generally the people in the Haven seem to be low-key and very much aware of other passengers.

Another thing that makes me think that that little hallway isn't well traveled is because when the ship is underway they locked the sliding door between the Courtyard Grill (CG) and the Epic Club Restaurant (ECR) due to a wind tunnel effect. This means the only entrance to the ECR will be through the Epic Club Lounge (ECL).

Therefore, when the ship is moving and that sliding door is locked between the CG and ECR, the people forward of those few cabins (16010 to 16016) will typically take the short cut through the pool area to get to the EPL.

(does that makes sense? it's hard to put into words. LOL)

Perhaps things have changed since I sailed the Epic. I don't know. I do know that the door between that short hallway and the CG was originally two side-by-side doors. However when underway and the conditions were right it was damn near impossible to open. And if it was open and you were in the way it could do some major damage if it slammed shut. The bartender told me it was a design error and that it could be quite dangerous.

The week before we boarded they had changed it to an electronic sliding door. When I was onboard they were making minor adjustments to the door, that's why I asked. So NCL was well aware they had some wind tunnel issues to deal with around the CG and EPR.

You can't be too long winded....I really appreciate your input.

You are correct, the website doesn't show the availability on the 16th deck so that is one reason I didn't consider. I will talk to the rep to see what's available.

You obviously prefer the port side. Curious if you, or anyone reading, have done the Western Carib itinerary and if it good for views when in port?

I'm glad you brought up Deck 16...thanks, again.

My NCL rep wouldn't come right out and say it, but he sort-of kind-of hinted that it helps to sell the less popular 17th deck if that's all they show as available on the website. I imagine it helps keep the price up too if they're near final payment date for a sailing and they still have some prime cabins on 16 still available.

Don't quote me on that. That's just the marketing guy in me who likes to over-think the little things.

I don't favour port over starboard. I tend to look at the direction(s) the ship will be sailing and make my decision based on that. I like to sail on the side in which the majority of the land will be on. But I also consider sunrises and sunsets too, so that I can watch them from my own peaceful balcony.

For instance - I'm leaving on a Panama Canal cruise in 6 days. The majority of my cruise from Miami to LA will be northbound up the west coast of Central America and Mexico (8 of 13 days, actually). So that means I would prefer starboard side because 1) I'll see the sunrise from my balcony, 2) I'll possibly see the coast of Central America and Mexico as we sail, probably just the night lights and such but I might be able to see the mountains and stuff way off in the distance, and 3) I can watch the coast appear from my balcony in the early morning as we approach the 4 ports on that end of the cruise.

Edited by rajones007

If you have occupied one of these suites on deck 17, could you please give your opinion for a "quiet" or "noisy" room number?

Feel free to add anything else you feel noteworthy.

The Haven 2 BR villas are some of the best rooms at sea, you will enjoy the master bedroom/bathroom.

Be aware that the Epic Courtyard (pool area) is far from quite with 2 big vents and some kind of motors in them running constantly. Plus you are in a prison yard like pit with walls going up 2 or 3 decks. There was a Haven sundeck on 18 facing forward that was quite and fantastic and gave Epic the best Haven in the fleet. That has been opened to the public so you are stuck in the prison yard. I would take a Jewel class Haven before I would go Epic if you prize quite courtyard chair time.

If you want a quite dinner in Le Bistro be sure to check the schedule and not book when the the Circus is going because that is on the deck above. A surprising amount of music noise comes through the floor as well performers jumping and equipment crashing.

The Epic has great entertainment, probably the best at sea, try and catch them all, even the Circus. The Concierge can make it easy to get great seats.

The Haven 2 BR villas are some of the best rooms at sea, you will enjoy the master bedroom/bathroom.

Be aware that the Epic Courtyard (pool area) is far from quite with 2 big vents and some kind of motors in them running constantly. Plus you are in a prison yard like pit with walls going up 2 or 3 decks. There was a Haven sundeck on 18 facing forward that was quite and fantastic and gave Epic the best Haven in the fleet. That has been opened to the public so you are stuck in the prison yard. I would take a Jewel class Haven before I would go Epic if you prize quite courtyard chair time.

But you do get access to Posh, which is adult-only and has a bar. It overlooks the main pool, so you get to hear music, but it is not overly loud. This is where we spent most of our time.

But you do get access to Posh, which is adult-only and has a bar. It overlooks the main pool, so you get to hear music, but it is not overly loud. This is where we spent most of our time.

Of course Haven rooms get access to Posh. I guess they sell a number of passes to non-Haven rooms.

IMO Posh has turned into a major smoking area and depending on how the wind blows you will smell/taste it all over. If you walk up the stairs to the deck 19 part there is no smoking, but again some vents blowing with a whining white noise. Posh is too small of an area to allow almost 1/3 of it to be smoking.

Of course Haven rooms get access to Posh. I guess they sell a number of passes to non-Haven rooms.

IMO Posh has turned into a major smoking area and depending on how the wind blows you will smell/taste it all over. If you walk up the stairs to the deck 19 part there is no smoking, but again some vents blowing with a whining white noise. Posh is too small of an area to allow almost 1/3 of it to be smoking.

Also just returned from the 14 day transatlantic and they have a very small (behind the bar near the stairs) smoking area. I spent several hours in there every morning and there was never any smoke smell, so I think they've changed things since the last time you were there.

I was in 17010 and loved it. A few chair noises at night and in the morning, but quiet otherwise. The Medevac was out my window, and THAT was loud!

16012 would be my #1 choice.

Please keep in mind that is based on my single Epic 7 day cruise. I like to people watch, and those observations are solely from that journey, and nothing more.

My NCL rep wouldn't come right out and say it, but he sort-of kind-of hinted that it helps to sell the less popular 17th deck if that's all they show as available on the website. I imagine it helps keep the price up too if they're near final payment date for a sailing and they still have some prime cabins on 16 still available.

Don't quote me on that. That's just the marketing guy in me who likes to over-think the little things.

I don't favour port over starboard. I tend to look at the direction(s) the ship will be sailing and make my decision based on that. I like to sail on the side in which the majority of the land will be on. But I also consider sunrises and sunsets too, so that I can watch them from my own peaceful balcony.

For instance - I'm leaving on a Panama Canal cruise in 6 days. The majority of my cruise from Miami to LA will be northbound up the west coast of Central America and Mexico (8 of 13 days, actually). So that means I would prefer starboard side because 1) I'll see the sunrise from my balcony, 2) I'll possibly see the coast of Central America and Mexico as we sail, probably just the night lights and such but I might be able to see the mountains and stuff way off in the distance, and 3) I can watch the coast appear from my balcony in the early morning as we approach the 4 ports on that end of the cruise.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. What ship are you sailing? PC is on my "to do" list so am interested in your review.

Thanks for all your input/opinions.....really helped my planning.

If you want a quite dinner in Le Bistro be sure to check the schedule and not book when the the Circus is going because that is on the deck above. A surprising amount of music noise comes through the floor as well performers jumping and equipment crashing.

The Epic has great entertainment, probably the best at sea, try and catch them all, even the Circus. The Concierge can make it easy to get great seats.

Thanks for your comments/input.

As far as the smoke, I have never had a problem avoiding it on the open seas/deck areas. Yes, I've had to move here and there, but really don't mind.

Thank you.......I didn't know they had spa treatment rooms outside the spa. Do they have facilities, also?

Also just returned from the 14 day transatlantic and they have a very small (behind the bar near the stairs) smoking area. I spent several hours in there every morning and there was never any smoke smell, so I think they've changed things since the last time you were there.

I was in 17010 and loved it. A few chair noises at night and in the morning, but quiet otherwise. The Medevac was out my window, and THAT was loud!

Thank you!

My 41-year-old daughter and I are going on the Epic in about a month and I am thinking about upgrading us to this Haven Villa as a huge splurge. We typically have just regular balcony cabins, and this time we are in an aft-facing one on deck 10. But we haven't taken a cruise together, just the two of us, in 19 years, and I want it to be special and memorable. We've been to all of the ports many times before and I doubt we will even get off the ship all week. For us, this time, the ship is the destination.

I've read all of your previous posts and understand about the preferred locations, but since we have never had a true suite before with butler and concierge service, this is where I need your guidance. We are generous tippers but we are not wealthy by any means. This is truly a splurge for us. Regardless, I want to be generous without going overboard, and I want to show our appreciation to all who will be serving us that week. I am used to paying the required gratuities in advance and I always give extra to our steward (and others). But would some of you please give me some guidance about what is expected here regarding the steward, assistant steward, butler and concierge? I know tipping is such a personal thing, and it also depends on your personal financial situation, i.e. whether a villa is always a must or whether it's a once-in-a-lifetime splurge.

I don't even know what is the ship's suggested daily gratuity is for the villas per person, or what part is allocated for the villa crew. But what I really want to know is how much extra in addition to the required. And please don't just say "it's up to the individual"..... of course I know that, but I really don't want to be remembered by the crew as being a cheapskate. For instance, is $100 per person EXTRA enough, or should it be $200 per person? Just giving y'all a starting point. Thanks so much!!