Crown Princess arrival in San Pedro delayed 24 hours

IECalCruiser

IMPORTANT NOTICES

CROWN PRINCESS - EMBARKATION DELAY

Please be advised that Crown Princess' return to the Port of Los Angeles has been delayed due to an extreme medical emergency. Embarkation

for your cruise will now occur on Sunday, November 16. Out-of-town guests with independent air should either reschedule their flights, or

arrange for accommodation for one night in Los Angeles. All guests will receive a one-day per diem in recognition of the missed cruise day and

to offset any extra expenses incurred. Due to the delayed departure, we will no longer call to Puerto Vallarta on Tuesday, November 18. In light

of the revised itinerary, all guests will receive a refundable credit of $50 per person applied to your onboard folio, as well as a Future Cruise

Credit of 20% of the cruise fare paid, which can be used on any future Princess cruise booked before the end of 2015. Please disregard the

attached itinerary, which does not yet reflect these changes.

Additional embarkation time details will be provided as they become available. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Crown Princess.

Thank you for your attention to this notification.

The most important thing is the welfare of the sick individual. I do think that Princess was pretty generous in compensating folks on the next cruise though. We missed Maui on one of our Hawaii cruises due to being diverted for a couple of days to assist in a man overboard situation and we got a glass of wine. I don't mean that as a complaint (I know it sounds that way) - I mean it to say while I understand the disappointment of the embarking passengers, at least Princess gave you monetary compensation for your lost port. Hopefully you will enjoy the remainder of your cruise. When you cruise long enough you see things happen - ports get cancelled sometimes and when they do, is what it is.

Edited by Waimea'sMom

Deepest sympathies and good wishes to the ill person of course. I have been in the Tahiti hospital after I broke my arm ashore, it is only a couple years old, and I am sure they will take good care of him. I would not call it primitive but I would say it was short on amenities.

I also am on the Crown Saturday (well, now Sunday). Once I found out here what was going on, I had my TA call Princess. They said everything with the Crown was fine. It wasn't till I sent here all the info posted here like the port schedule that Princess fessed up and said "an alert had just come in". I told her to get every last compensation out of Princess that she could. A night at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro is $209 plus taxes, after all.

Disappointed at loss of PV but I've been and will go again next December. One of those things. Princess did not do this lightly and I respect their judgment.

The emails we've received (deleting the name, booking number and all that:)

2:37 PM PST Tues:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Please be advised that Crown Princess' return to the Port of Los Angeles has been delayed due to an extreme medical emergency. Embarkation for your cruise will now occur on Sunday, November 16. Out-of-town guests with independent air should either reschedule their flights, or arrange for accommodation for one night in Los Angeles. All guests will receive a one-day per diem in recognition of the missed cruise day and to offset any extra expenses incurred. Due to the delayed departure, we will no longer call to Puerto Vallarta on Tuesday, November 18. In light of the revised itinerary, all guests will receive a refundable credit of $50 per person applied to your onboard folio, as well as a Future Cruise Credit of 20% of the cruise fare paid, which can be used on any future Princess cruise booked before the end of 2015. Please disregard the attached itinerary, which does not yet reflect these changes.

Additional embarkation time details will be provided as they become available. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Crown Princess.

2:49 PM PST yesterday

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Please be advised that Crown Princess' return to the Port of Los Angeles has been delayed due to an extreme medical emergency. Embarkation for your cruise will now occur on Sunday, November 16. Out-of-town guests with independent air should either reschedule their flights, or arrange for accommodation for one night in Los Angeles. All guests will receive a one-day per diem in recognition of the missed cruise day and to offset any extra expenses incurred. Due to the delayed departure, we will no longer call to Puerto Vallarta on Tuesday, November 18. In light of the revised itinerary, all guests will receive a refundable credit of $50 per person applied to your onboard folio, as well as a Future Cruise Credit of 20% of the cruise fare paid, which can be used on any future Princess cruise booked before the end of 2015. Please disregard the attached itinerary, which does not yet reflect these changes.

PASSENGERS

So the story broke here on Cruise Critic first, in this very feed, thank god for CC and its loyal members. This allowed for quick and immediate planning for the inevitable. As a result of this emergency we are now leaving port a day later.

:)First let me say that I am glad that the person that they had to divert for is doing well (As posted on here). And I am glad they made the right decision. Even more so if what I hear is true that it was a crew member.

I will Preface this post with the statement that I DO HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE, and for those that travel without, here is ANOTHER reason to have it!

However now it's time to get the conversation going regarding Princess's compensation to those losing a day of their cruise. :confused:

I really am not that upset we are losing the day of the cruise, stuff happens. I will still be on vacation, and it is warmer in LA than in Nashville. :D

This is the compensation offered presently to passengers on the 11/15 (Now 11/16) cruise out of San Pedro.

1 Day Per Diem (Equal to 1/7 of your cruise fare)

$50 Credit

20% off a future cruise (up to 20% of what you paid for this cruise)

While that does not sound too bad, its really not offering you ANYTHING for the trouble this causes you. (which is sad because even princess is insured and won't pay for any of this)

- As for the 1 day perdiem, well this is OWED to passengers, they lost a night of their cruise.

- The $50 Credit (or cash if not used) is also owed. This is the refund of port fees and taxes. (Disguised as a "compensation for troubles") the reality is they removes a port day (the best port I may add).

- 20% Discount on future cruise - While this may be a nice gesture, it just puts more money and passengers on the books in the futre.

So what are they REALLY giving us?

Take this into consideration, for those who are scheduled on this cruise.

- you now have to book a hotel in LA for Friday night (Average $150)

- You will now have to feed yourself 3 additional meals in the day ($50-100 if you eat comparable to ship cuisine)

- You will no have to change transportation plans to the ship.

- You have to deal with making all these changes and reservations.

- You will probably incur other transportation costs while in LA to eat and get around, be it taxi or rental car.

- OR... You have to pay change fees to arrive a day later. (Then risking missing the boat again)

- I am sure I missed a few things.

So, that being said... IS PRINCESS BEING FAIR ON THEIR COMPENSATION?

Princess, If you want a place to start, here is my suggestion

EVERYTHING YOU OFFERED PLUS...:)

- FREE BEVERAGE PACKAGE OF YOUR CHOICE (Stop here and I am HAPPY)

- 50% off any future booking (No Max $ Value)

- 1 Additional Day Per Diem to cover travel plans and additional costs incurred.

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO CHIME IN ON THIS?

Maybe they should get the LA Convention and Visitors Bureau to kick in, they stand to gain a BIG bump in tourist revenue for this! :eek:

Really? First of all, if you have any decent travel insurance coverage, hotel, food and change fees should be covered. If not, well whose fault is that?

BTW, do not assume Princess is insured for all of this. A> there are deductibles, B> they are self-insured for many things and C> we don't know all the little details. Princess will be incurring a LOT of extra charges (fuel, last minute docking charges in both ports, default fee in PV depending on the contract, loss of onboard revenue, costs to change restocking delivery, costs to adjust air for people on board, etc (have not seen what they are getting).

In my mind, just the credit for the missed day is fair enough...

Classy??? Obviously you didn't read the entire post specifically the part about me agreeing with what they did. And if they did it on a ship that I was on I would have a problem with that either.

The drink package has absolutely nothing to do with the poor passenger or crewmember it had to be evacuated.

And again I reiterate I'm glad the crewmember a passenger is recovering well. And I'm very sorry that it had to happen to a crew member or a passenger but it did and what's done is done.

I don't appreciate that comment.

Especially considering I dedicated a large part of my life as a paramedic to saving people's lives on a daily basis.

Cheers!

Wow!! Some people expect an awful lot for a change that was necessary to save a life. A life is much more important than a day in port, any compensation given or additional cost burden.

I too am on the 11/15 now 11/16 cruise. While the email does state we will not be calling on PV Tuesday it does not state we will be missing the port all together. At this time we do not know the revised itinerary. I am sure someone is working very hard to amend the schedule with all the ports

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

So credit for the day missed yeah that is good. However you should get a credit for the day missed because they didn't give you anything. Is that enough maybe for me it don't matter either way I'm going on the cruise.

I also have travel insurance so my stuff is covered. But they are going to be many many many people who encourage significant costs. And they're also people that may not be able to afford those kind of things and additional costs that budgeted for their vacation.

The other thing to consider is, they took the best port off of the trip wouldn't that decrease the value of the trip is the trip still worth $1000 or $1500 per person?

My post is not about greed or trying to get something that's not deserved or coming to me or get something extra. I've cruise on princess 11 times I love princess and I'll be happy no matter what happens here. And I won't hold any grudges regardless of what they do, and I will be on another cruise very soon.

This post was simply a means of getting conversation started about what is fair compensation for a passenger in our position.

Making this about compassion or greed is souring me and wanting to post on Cruise critic in the future. I work very hard for my money and I also work hard so others don't have to. I'm not trying to get something for free here.

My wife and I are booked on the Crown this weekend. I just got off the phone with customer relations because I had a few questions.

All passengers are getting one day per diem. Customer relations explained to me on the phone that this will be 1/7th of your cruise fare refunded back to your credit card that you used to book the cruise. It comes out to 228.00 in my case.

The 228 plus the 100 added to my shipboard account for my wife and I, plus another 320 off a future cruise is what I am being compensated for the missed day. 648 dollars is more than fair in my particular case.

The real bummer in all of this is that now I have to do yard work this Saturday before we leave!

There are postings here that seem have gotten personal and off topic.

Princess has and will always value people's lives first and do what is necessary in emergency situations. This is how it should be. It is good that the ship changed course for the closest port since was a necessary medical emergency situation.

Without question, the passengers currently on the ship, cruise now extended 1 day, are going through challenges rebooking flights, hotels, etc. While there is free internet and some calls on the ship at this time, there are long lines and a good number of angry passengers.

Without question, the passengers on the next sailing, short 1 day, have to go through efforts and in many cases, expenses, to reschedule their plans. Flight change fees, additional hotel nights, etc.

Regardless of trip insurance or no insurance, it is a hassle for all those involved. Still, this is the right thing to do in light of the situation. The individual with the urgent medical condition is the top priority. While a large number of people have big hassles now due to the situation, it is little compared to what the patient is going through.

As one of those people who have to change plans and incur additional expenses due to the ship being delayed, I can say it is a hassle. Still, it is an understood hassle and we will go on with our lives once we get through this.

Princess has and will always value people's lives first and do what is necessary in emergency situations. This is how it should be. It is good that the ship changed course for the closest port since was a necessary medical emergency situation.

Without question, the passengers currently on the ship, cruise now extended 1 day, are going through challenges rebooking flights, hotels, etc. While there is free internet and some calls on the ship at this time, there are long lines and a good number of angry passengers.

Without question, the passengers on the next sailing, short 1 day, have to go through efforts and in many cases, expenses, to reschedule their plans. Flight change fees, additional hotel nights, etc.

Regardless of trip insurance or no insurance, it is a hassle for all those involved. Still, this is the right thing to do in light of the situation. The individual with the urgent medical condition is the top priority. While a large number of people have big hassles now due to the situation, it is little compared to what the patient is going through.

As one of those people who have to change plans and incur additional expenses due to the ship being delayed, I can say it is a hassle. Still, it is an understood hassle and we will go on with our lives once we get through this.

Amen.

This has been a valuable lesson for me because I was thinking about booking a 3 day on the Crown (LA-Ensenada-LA) returning to LA on the same day we leave on the Grand for Hawaii. I actually said to myself, what are the odds that the Crown wouldn't arrive back in LA port on time. Now I know stuff happens even on a 3 day, so I'm nixing that pre-cruise cruise.

I suppose it's not too difficult, although perhaps costly, to get from Ensenada to LA if it became absolutely necessary.

Always a good reminder that travel is never guaranteed.

Why is it cruise passengers have such high demands for compensation for changes in departure times, missed ports, etc....

I've never been compensated for a late airline flight, even when I miss my connection. I don't remember the airline giving me credit to spend at an airport bar or restaurant while I have to wait for my next flight.

I wasn't compensated when I had to rent a car and drive 300 miles because the next scheduled flight wouldn't arrive until 24 hours later.

When we cruise we are on vacation the second we step on the ship. I doesn't matter if we are sitting at the port for an extended amount of time or sailing in circles because we miss a port. We are still enjoying the ship, why do we need to be compensated?

Hi All,

My husband and I are on the delayed cruise leaving port on Sunday the 16th, first cruise for both of us, this is a big disappointment, crown princess should extend a day not cancel a day, we have planned this cruise for a whole year, found decent child care. We hope it's not Ebola case:mad:

First, rest assured it's not Ebola. Have no idea how or why you'd even think such a thing.

I can understand your disappointment but I don't understand why you're mad. Are you mad that Princess saved the life of a crew member rather than arriving back in port on time? Are you mad at the crew member for getting appendicitis and inconveniencing you? Are you mad that your cruise is one day shorter even though you are being well compensated for this unplanned event? I'm trying to wrap my head around why you're mad as it isn't making sense to me.

I'm glad to see that Princess is offering free internet and phone for people to make changes.

Last December on our first cruise ever, a passenger had a medical emergency shortly after leaving Cabo San Lucas en route to Puerto Vallarta. The Captain turned the ship around and went back to Cabo to debark the passenger. That caused him to cancel the port in PV and gave us a second day in Cabo. While I was understanding of the situation I was a bit angry that Princess wouldn't waive my internet charges. I had to use the Internet to contact my cousin that was meeting us in PV to let her know of the cancellation. The absolute best I could do was that they waived half of my charges. I'm sure if I contacted Princess after the fact I could've received a full refund but it wasn't worth my time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

First, rest assured it's not Ebola. Have no idea how or why you'd even think such a thing.

I can understand your disappointment but I don't understand why you're mad. Are you mad that Princess saved the life of a crew member rather than arriving back in port on time? Are you mad at the crew member for getting appendicitis and inconveniencing you? Are you mad that your cruise is one day shorter even though you are being well compensated for this unplanned event? I'm trying to wrap my head around why you're mad as it isn't making sense to me.

Pam.. I so adore your logic.. I, also, can't understand how anyone can put their personal comfort before another person's actual life..:(

I'm glad to see that Princess is offering free internet and phone for people to make changes.

Last December on our first cruise ever, a passenger had a medical emergency shortly after leaving Cabo San Lucas en route to Puerto Vallarta. The Captain turned the ship around and went back to Cabo to debark the passenger. That caused him to cancel the port in PV and gave us a second day in Cabo. While I was understanding of the situation I was a bit angry that Princess wouldn't waive my internet charges. I had to use the Internet to contact my cousin that was meeting us in PV to let her know of the cancellation. The absolute best I could do was that they waived half of my charges. I'm sure if I contacted Princess after the fact I could've received a full refund but it wasn't worth my time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Did you really need so much internet time to contact your cousin that the expense was worth getting upset about? Seems it should not take you even 5 minutes to send a quick email. If you pay by the minute that is $3.75

Just fanning the flames here, but with all the posts about what compensation PRINCESS should pay for the changes, I'm surprised nobody has demanded that the passenger (or crew member) who had the gall to get deathly sick on the ship should be the one actually compensating passengers and Princess for any extra expenses incurred :eek:. After all, it was the individual who caused the mess, not Princess. Just another example of our litigious society always looking for the "deep pockets"! :(

Speaking of litigious; DISCLAIMER: This post was submitted in jest!

Did you really need so much internet time to contact your cousin that the expense was worth getting upset about? Seems it should not take you even 5 minutes to send a quick email. If you pay by the minute that is $3.75
My cousin doesn't LIVE in PV, just near it. So I wasn't content with just sending her an email in the HOPES that she read it before she set out to PV. I was online a good amount of time trying to make sure I got in contact either with her or another cousin that I knew could contact her directly.

Like I said previously, it wasn't worth my time to fight it once we returned from the cruise. However, it was enough to get upset over because the principal of the matter and the fact that I didn't feel Princess handled the matter correctly. Prior to that, we hadn't used the Internet all cruise nor had plans on doing so.

Sent using the Cruis

Thank you. You stated that very well.

We will have a great cruise no matter what, and I am glad the patient is doing well (as per the reports)

Now about the Noro.........:(

Hi All,

My husband and I are on the delayed cruise leaving port on Sunday the 16th, first cruise for both of us, this is a big disappointment, crown princess should extend a day not cancel a day,

we have planned this cruise for a whole year, found decent child care. We hope it's not Ebola

case:mad:

We know you're upset, but take a minute and think about it. If they extend your cruise by a day rather than canceling a day as you propose, what happens to ALL the other planned cruises after yours? All those passengers would have to change their travel plans (and so would the passengers on your cruise also). That would just be kicking the problem down the road for all others to deal with in the future. BTW, do you happen to be a US Congress member?

Of course what Princess had to do what it had to do. The health and safety of a crew member or passenger is important. My question is why is the per diem based on what you paid for your cruise? It's too expensive for me to change my airfare so I secured a room at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for $189.00 and like someone else mentioned it will be warmer than where I come from. The other guy mentioned his per diem based on his fare and it sounded very fare. However, I got a great deal on an inside room and paid less than him. How does that make sense? We all have to get a hotel room and pay to eat, why should the person with the balcony room or mini-suite get more per diem than I? That part seems strange.