Tips and Hints on Summit

k9hndler

My wife, 2 kids (9 and 11) and I are thrilled to be back on X for a thanksgiving cruise starting November 22nd out of San Juan. This is our first time on Summit, but we loved Galaxy (Sigh...Tear...one our FAVORITE ships) and we loved Solstice. ANY TIPS or hints regarding Summit that people would like to share would be greatly appreciated. I have combed the thread and found SOME great tips, but surely there are many more?! Here are some specific areas I’d like to cover;

1. Does anyone have experience regarding the kids program on summit? Hours, sign in, etc.?

2. Are movies played on the ship other than the stateroom?

3. Any must see things to do in San Juan (old) the night before the cruise? My wife and I like authentic local fare, any good restaurants?

4. ANY other hints people want to share.

I just got off the Summit a couple of weeks ago but I agree with everything already said. During the day, they sometime showed movies in the theatre.

San Juan is a great place. One place to consider for dinner is Barrachina, the birthplace of the Pina Colada. Their website is here: http://www.barrachina.com/indexb.php

A traditional Puerto Rican dish is mofongo, made with plantains. If you just walk around Old San Juan, you'll find lots of other places. Is there any way you can be in San Juan more than one night before or can you arrive very early in the day? The fort is a great place to visit, I'm sure the kids will love it. However, it closes before sunset.

You may already know this but while there is a dock right next to Old San Juan, cruises embarking in San Juan will dock and the Pan American Pier, a bit further out. It's an easy taxi ride.

Edited by 2theship

Since we are now grandparents we do not often cruise with children but we love OSJ. Lots of walking on cobblestone sidewalks. Aqua Viva is a very good restaurant for seafood. The beaches are great and the kids will have fun with the lizards on the beach. They like hotdogs:) The Ralph Lauren outlet has great bargains as well as the Coach outlet.

If you stay overnight at the Hilton it has a very good beach and pool. People are very friendly.

No matter what you are on vacation with your family have fun!!!!!!!!

Here is a link to the Cruise Critic San Juan forum:

San Juan, PR - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

You can ride the free trolley that goes all around Old San Juan.

My suggestion would be to get off at the El Morro fortress at the top of the hill and then, after touring the fort, walk back down, so that you are walking downhill instead of uphill.

Also, here are some links for the trolley and a couple of walking tours

Hop Aboard the Free Trolley in Old San Juan

Old San Juan Walking Tour | Discovering Puerto Rico

A Walking Tour of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thanks for all the tips, I WILL be having the Mofongo in OSJ, it is a fav of mine. Regarding Summit, does anyone know if tey still do the high tea in one of the dinning rooms? My Wife and daughter in particular love this aspect of cruising.

Our first Celebrity cruise was 10/25-11/1/14 out of San Juan - tea was offered one day 4pm-5pm in the MDR but I did not attend (probably too full from lunch)-described as "tea" not "high tea"; they showed a movie in the theatre one night - Captain America: The Winter Soldier; they do show movies in your stateroom but they seemed to only be available for 24 hours then changed to a new set of movies; we don't have children and there were probably 20 on our trip; cannot recommend the Old San Juan/Bacardi Rum tour - should have spent time in Old San Juan and the historic sights; we truly enjoyed the sailaways and watching each sunset; ENJOY your cruise

My wife, 2 kids (9 and 11) and I are thrilled to be back on X for a thanksgiving cruise starting November 22nd out of San Juan. This is our first time on Summit, but we loved Galaxy (Sigh...Tear...one our FAVORITE ships) and we loved Solstice. ANY TIPS or hints regarding Summit that people would like to share would be greatly appreciated. I have combed the thread and found SOME great tips, but surely there are many more?! Here are some specific areas I’d like to cover;

1. Does anyone have experience regarding the kids program on summit? Hours, sign in, etc.?

2.Are movies played on the ship other than the stateroom?

3.Any must see things to do in San Juan (old) the night before the cruise? My wife and I like authentic local fare, any good restaurants?

4.ANY other hints people want to share.

Hi K9Handler! My DH & I will be cruising with you that week on the Summit. We have a very active roll call on Cruise Critic. Have you joined yet? I know you asked about Friday evening. Several of us are meeting at Señor Frogs at 7pm that evening. We also planned a casual get together in the Oceanview Bar around 3:30pm-4:00 pm prior to sailing. We have a spreadsheet prepared on our roll call. Let me know if you'd like me to send you the link to the roll call if you'd like to sign up. it seems like there will be a lot of fun and interesting people on the Summit that week! We are excited about going. Our first time on X. We fly out Wednesday to SJU. Hope to meet you on the cruise!

Karilyn & Mark 🌞🌴🌊

from Central, VA

Didn't travel with kids so can't help with that.

2. Are movies played on the ship other than the stateroom?

The Celebrity theater had some movies. Didn't attend so don't know which ones.

3. Any must see things to do in San Juan (old) the night before the cruise? My wife and I like authentic local fare, any good restaurants?

We went to a great tapas restaurant "Toro Salao" in Old San Juan.

4. ANY other hints people want to share.

Don't miss the sushi they put out around 5:30 in the buffet (check the schedule). We really enjoyed sailway from each port out in the Sunset Bar and Grill (aft of the buffet).

Our crazy group from Cruise Critic met at Barrachina the night before we cruised and had a great time.

We also did a tour called Flavors of San Juan, based on Trip Advisor reviews and really enjoyed. We stopped at several restaurants for a little something, i.e, mofongo, a pina collada, tropical fruit juice, etc. Along the way were treated to some history of San Juan. Highly recommend.

Hi There. You will really enjoy Summit; just off her last Saturday. I will be writing a full review soon but, till then:

1. Although older, this ship is still a beauty with class. Very clean and well kept. You really have to be looking for the flaws. Small-ish and intimate, easy to navigate. Very nice public spaces. Public restrooms are clean and have small linen towels to dry hands. There's a paper towel holder near each door with a sign asking you to use a paper towel to open up the door.

2. The staff is warm and friendly and really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and recognized. Officers, in particular, are accessible and friendly. We ate in the buffet two nights and the Captain was there with a few other officers going through the buffet line to eat dinner. There were not many children on our sailing, but those who were, were cared for by the staff.

3. Staterooms are comfortable, clean, and great for sleeping. If you have a balcony, all the better. Enjoyed many hours on ours. We were in 7166, which was port side with an angled (slightly larger) balcony.

4. In my opinion, the buffet is very good. Breakfast is typical with bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, a varierty of baked goods, smoked salmon, cold cereals. There are made to order omelets in the back. Lunch is usually salads of all types, cold cuts, breads, desserts, soup, hot foods, etc. Made to order pasta is delicious. Pizza is located in the back. Dinner is usually carved roast beef, turkey breast, lamb, with a variety of vegetables, soups, and other sides. Made to order pasta and pizza. Also, they have a fantastic stir fry station with lots of choices. As others have said, there is a large, beautifully presented sushi station. They also have a few varieties of asian soup. Their ice cream is always good. Desserts are good, too. Once during the cruise, they offered a creme brulee bar with varieties such as cappucino, pistachio, banana, chocolate. If you love creme brulee, don't miss it!!! Busiest times seem to be mid-morning and late afternoon. There are plenty of "free" beverages. The water is just fine for drinking, and the coffee is excellent - Lavazza. And YES: if the staff sees your hands are full or if you need assistance, the will give it happily! Finally, we never had trouble getting a seat or getting beverages from the staff.

5. Mast Grill: Delicious burgers and hot dogs. The fries are hot and crispy. Burger toppings include carmelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and the usual lettuce, onion, tomatoe. There is also kraut for the hot dogs.

6. For me, a favorite spot was Cafe el Bacio on 5. It is a comfortable, soothing place to sit and relax with oversized wing chairs and bistro tables and booths. Great specialty coffees and teas. Also, the sweets in the display case are wonderful and FREE. There's table service and your order is served in adorable cups, saucers, little rectangle plates and teapots, with cloth napkins. The gelato bar is also located there. Late afternoons, there's usually a pianist or some other entertainer making lovely background music.

7. I know it exists, but I cannot comment on the kids program.

8. RNCheryl mentioned Barrachina's restaurant in Old San Juan. Whether or not you choose to eat there, they have facilities to store your luggage for you in case you want to tour OSJ. They do not charge for this; only a gratuity is expected. You can store your luggage from 10:00-5:00. They are very friendly and your stuff will be safe.

9. Lots of choices in OSJ but we really enjoyed the HOMEMADE empanadas at Bad Ass Coffee. They are 3.00 each and were delivered hot at the time we were there.

I'll write more later. If you have any more specific questions, let me know. Enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you for all the tips. My Family and I are really looking forward to Summit. We loved the Galaxy, and are hoping that Summit resembles here in Service and class. I got conflicting information on Tea, is it avaible in the MDR still or on the buffet?

Summit (and other M class ships) are most like the Galaxy in size and design, as compared to the larger S class ships, although they are a bit larger in size. I think they have a similar feel of refined luxury. They are aging, but Celebrity does a good job at keeping them in good shape.

If you are asking about regular hot tea (tea bags) it will be available in the buffet, and also in the main dining room (you need to ask, but they will bring it to you)

The Tea I speak is the more formal one, usually in the main dining room at 4 PM, consisting of Tea, canopes, SCONES with butter and jam and other tasty little treats. My 9 year old daughter and my Wife LOVE them, and we hit them whenever we can find them. Galaxy had them, all the Princess ships too, but we never found Tea time on Solstice.

The Tea I speak is the more formal one, usually in the main dining room at 4 PM, consisting of Tea, canopes, SCONES with butter and jam and other tasty little treats. My 9 year old daughter and my Wife LOVE them, and we hit them whenever we can find them. Galaxy had them, all the Princess ships too, but we never found Tea time on Solstice.

Hi K9HNDLER,

On both Celebrity Cruises I have been on (Solstice 2012 and Summit 2013) this was called the "Champagne Tea" and happened on a Sea Day. It was advertised in the Daily Newsletter "Celebrity Today"

I wrote more about my experience on The Solstice (Reply #4) in your other topic here on CC = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127046

And there were most definitely Scones with HOMEMADE Jam (although I forgot to mention them)

If you don't want to miss out on this event, I would make inquiries at Guest Services as soon as you board

Cheers!

k9hndler

I would really appreciate if you come back at post the price of the VIP Party Pass for the Fun Factory and whether ships tours are still included.

We are on Summit next March and all the information on the Party Pass is general (up to 40% saving etc) and not specific sums for any itinerary.

They played new-release films in the main theater in the afternoons and late at night on sea days as of this October.

And I gotta ask, pointy-eared and bitey or floppy-eared and licky?

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this.

My department has the luxury of having both. I have an ESS Detection dog, and a GSD Patrol dog.

On the first trip into the buffet on M class most cruisers new to the ship immediately get into the buffet line just inside the doors. This is a huge mistake as there are several lines and serving stations in the buffet and the lines in the very front are the longest and might not have the best selection for you. Instead, take a "tour" of the selections by walking down one side of the buffet, around the back, and up the other side to see all the options and serving areas. Then decide what you want.

Edited by Lsimon

Hi There. You will really enjoy Summit; just off her last Saturday. I will be writing a full review soon but, till then:

1. Although older, this ship is still a beauty with class. Very clean and well kept. You really have to be looking for the flaws. Small-ish and intimate, easy to navigate. Very nice public spaces. Public restrooms are clean and have small linen towels to dry hands. There's a paper towel holder near each door with a sign asking you to use a paper towel to open up the door.

2. The staff is warm and friendly and really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and recognized. Officers, in particular, are accessible and friendly. We ate in the buffet two nights and the Captain was there with a few other officers going through the buffet line to eat dinner. There were not many children on our sailing, but those who were, were cared for by the staff.

3. Staterooms are comfortable, clean, and great for sleeping. If you have a balcony, all the better. Enjoyed many hours on ours. We were in 7166, which was port side with an angled (slightly larger) balcony.

4. In my opinion, the buffet is very good. Breakfast is typical with bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, a varierty of baked goods, smoked salmon, cold cereals. There are made to order omelets in the back. Lunch is usually salads of all types, cold cuts, breads, desserts, soup, hot foods, etc. Made to order pasta is delicious. Pizza is located in the back. Dinner is usually carved roast beef, turkey breast, lamb, with a variety of vegetables, soups, and other sides. Made to order pasta and pizza. Also, they have a fantastic stir fry station with lots of choices. As others have said, there is a large, beautifully presented sushi station. They also have a few varieties of asian soup. Their ice cream is always good. Desserts are good, too. Once during the cruise, they offered a creme brulee bar with varieties such as cappucino, pistachio, banana, chocolate. If you love creme brulee, don't miss it!!! Busiest times seem to be mid-morning and late afternoon. There are plenty of "free" beverages. The water is just fine for drinking, and the coffee is excellent - Lavazza. And YES: if the staff sees your hands are full or if you need assistance, the will give it happily! Finally, we never had trouble getting a seat or getting beverages from the staff.

5. Mast Grill: Delicious burgers and hot dogs. The fries are hot and crispy. Burger toppings include carmelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and the usual lettuce, onion, tomatoe. There is also kraut for the hot dogs.

6. For me, a favorite spot was Cafe el Bacio on 5. It is a comfortable, soothing place to sit and relax with oversized wing chairs and bistro tables and booths. Great specialty coffees and teas. Also, the sweets in the display case are wonderful and FREE. There's table service and your order is served in adorable cups, saucers, little rectangle plates and teapots, with cloth napkins. The gelato bar is also located there. Late afternoons, there's usually a pianist or some other entertainer making lovely background music.

7. I know it exists, but I cannot comment on the kids program.

8. RNCheryl mentioned Barrachina's restaurant in Old San Juan. Whether or not you choose to eat there, they have facilities to store your luggage for you in case you want to tour OSJ. They do not charge for this; only a gratuity is expected. You can store your luggage from 10:00-5:00. They are very friendly and your stuff will be safe.

9. Lots of choices in OSJ but we really enjoyed the HOMEMADE empanadas at Bad Ass Coffee. They are 3.00 each and were delivered hot at the time we were there.

I'll write more later. If you have any more specific questions, let me know. Enjoy your cruise!!

Nice job on the review and you hit the right points. Thanks for taking the time. We sail out on Saturday (11/22).

DH and I were on Summit in February 2014, and one section of the buffet served tea sandwiches and scones from 4-5 PM daily, and the hours should be listed under buffet hours on the back of your Celebrity Today.

We really enjoyed this little late afternoon pick me up prior to our late seating in the MDR.

Edited by mrsaquashark