My Review of the Lady Oasis Nov 1-8 sailing...

Mnrvguy

My Review of our Oasis of the Seas Cruise

Travel between Oct 28-Nov 8

About us

Me 38, wife 39, three kids girls age 8 & 6 son age 3. Also traveling with us my dad age 72 and nephew age 13. I have 3 past cruises Celebrity Century, RCCL Allure of the Seas, and Carnival Breeze. My wife also sailed the Celebrity Millennium. Kids and grandpa were along last year on the Breeze. We are from about an hour northwest of Minneapolis MN.

This trip had three pre cruise nights in hotels and we used private transport in FL as well as a post cruise tour.

Day 1

Preflight night at Radisson Bloomington Mall of America

Not much to say with an early flight the next day we pretty much checked in and went to bed. We had to rooms on had a King and 1 set of bunk beds, the other had a queen and a separate room with two sets of bunks. Nice clean hotel 5 minutes from airport.

Day 2

Flight and arrival in Florida and 2 night at the Historic Hollywood Beach Hotel.

Flying Southwest Airlines 7:00am flight way too early when flying with young kids but they handled it like champs! Connected in Atlanta and on to Fort Lauderdale. Flights were uneventful just a plane ride…

I had pre arrange transportation with QLS to get us to the hotel as the hotel charges for transportation if you are staying less than three night and they only come once you call and I did not want to be waiting in an airport with kids.

We arrived and were walking to get our luggage and my phone rang and it was the driver and he was about 10 minutes out. A porter spotted us the minute we got of the elevator and said with this many people you must have lots of luggage, he was right 10 pieces between the 7 of us. We gathered our luggage and headed out to meet the van, great timing we walked out just as he pulled up. The porter and the driver got the luggage loaded and we were off to the hotel.

Back story on how I chose the hotel…

I wanted to be close to the beach as I did not want to rent a car but did not want to break the bank I was really nervous as the reviews on trip advisor are less than favorable. I was really worried about this so much so I almost changed the flight so we would only need one night in a no frills place by the port. Glad I did not do that. Now I booked this place on LMT and paid less than $75 per night per room… Now some will say you get what you pay for in this case they would be wrong….

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by very friendly staff got our luggage on to carts got checked in and headed up to our rooms. Now if you want a new shiny hotel don’t stay here. With that being said the hotel is older and showing some wear but they are working on it making it look more updated. Our rooms were updated rooms with two queens, a table with 4 chairs, and a small kitchenette with a side view of the ocean. We ask for a roll-a-way bed and they sent one up within 5 minutes. The hotel is located right on Hollywood Beach, and the beach boardwalk, close walking distance to tons of places to eat and some small stores and shops. After checking in we rested in the room for about two hours, and then we decided to take a walk out to the beach and down the boardwalk. Like I said the beach is right out the back of the hotel. After our walk it was time for dinner we found this place called the Taco Beach Shack, it’s a block off the boardwalk and about block from the hotel. This place had some of the best Mexican food I have ever had service was awesome and what a fun atmosphere. After dinner we headed back and we were going to head to the pool but it was closed  so we went and let the kids splash in the ocean until it was too dark for us to see them. Off to bed full day of beach and pool tomorrow.

Day 3

Beach & Pool day

Kids were up a lot earlier than we would have liked but hey they are excited! First things first breakfast, like I said our rooms have a kitchenette but we are on vacation…  a short walk down the boardwalk and we found a place offering a deal 2 eggs, 2 meat, 2 pancakes, hash browns, and toast for $3.99 (lots of food deals on the boardwalk). After that back to get our suits on and head to the pool spent most of the day in the pool and at the beach (they are steps apart). After spending time in the pool & beach we rented one of them 4 passenger + 3 small riders (made the 13 year old pedal) bike and took a trip down the boardwalk. For dinner we walk down the boardwalk and found a deal large Pizza and a pitcher of soda/beer for $10 and that is what we had for dinner. Then off to bed for tomorrow we go to ship…

Day 4

Meeting the Lady Oasis

I had arranged for transportation to the port with Larry’s Limo service (QLS was not available) I scheduled a 10:30 pickup time and at 10:29 the driver was there. A side note Larry’s contracts out to other companies when they are over booked did not matter to me the van was clean and nice and the driver was really friendly. The driver even stopped at a Walgreens so we could get a few last minute supplies. The driver did give me a card for the company he drives for and we chatted briefly about an Everglades trip post cruise he gave us a quote (more on this later). We arrived at the port just after 11:00 am left our luggage with the porter and off to check in. I love the check in and boarding for both the Oasis and Allure! We walk in got through security and were next in line for check in. The check in process took a little longer as her passport/credit card scanner thing was not working right. But once that was done took the obligatory photo in front of ship backdrop. Quick trip up stairs, got the muster bands for the kids and we walk on the ship… Curb to ship in less than 30 minutes.

More to come…

Up next first impressions, sail away, day one dinner, and Cats.

I have to tell you we sailed on Allure 2 years ago and I remember that moment when you walk on the ship and you walk into the Royal Promenade it just takes your breath away…. The Lady Oasis delivered just the same for me again and the look on the faces of the kids was just priceless they were just shocked that this is a ship… Vast open space the lighting and the “hustle and bustle” of the ships “Main Street” you just have to see it to believe it. We set out to explore the ship went to Central Park (I think is one of the coolest things on any ship). We were going to eat but could not find a place to sit and eat at the Park Café (remember there are 7 of us 3 are small kids). So we went to the Boardwalk to eat at the Dog House. Now we did not tell the kids much about the ship so you can only imagine the reaction when you walk out the Boardwalk and the thing that dominates you view is a hand carved carousel. They were so excited they could hardly sit still to eat their dogs. So after 4-5 rides on the carousel. We set off to find our rooms.

About our Rooms

We had an interior room 11416, and an interior family room 11437 booked for this trip. The interior was just that 2 twins/king bed, sofa, desk w/chair, nice closet, and pretty much the same bathroom all the other non-suite rooms have. This room had plenty of room for the two people that we put in it (grandpa & nephew) and would fit another person easily on the couch. The family interior room we had was really nice sized had a set of bunks a crossed from the bathroom, the same bathroom, king/twin bed, sofa, desk w/chair, two large closets, one small closet, and ample floor space. My only complaint about this room is that it is not bookable online so it is hard to watch for price drops. I like the interior rooms as I am on vacation to be doing stuff and don’t need to spend a lot of time in the room other than to sleep and for that I like it dark.

Adventurer Ocean

After checking out our rooms we went up 2 decks to deck 14 (no deck 13 on Oasis or Allure) where Adventure Ocean is to get the kids all signed in for that. The Adventure Ocean space on this ship is huge tons of space for kids and so much for then to do. There are 4 different rooms for different age groups, a science lab, arts & crafts room, open play room, theater, arcade(one of 3 on the ship), and an adult craft room. The Adventure Ocean program is awesome our kids loved it the little amount of time that we used it.

Muster

After all this it was time to muster…. Really painless you go to your station watch a short video and your done ready for sail away.

Sail Away

I really wanted to do Sail Away on the secret deck on 14 but I was over ruled by the wife and kids the wanted to do the DreamWorks Sail Away party in the Aqua Theater. So we went down back of the ship on deck 5 to do sail away then we could just go up the stairs right there to get to the Aqua Theater. The DreamWorks party started after we were sailing very fun the kids loved it!

Day one Dinner

Our table was for early seating in Grande on deck 4. Dinner on day one was less than memorable… The dining room staff our waiter, his assistant just seem off not sure what it was, and the bar service was not existent. Like I said dinner was off it was like it was the staffs first service, but the food was very good. I was just hoping the rest of the week went better for dinner and it did, other than one major hiccup on day two (I mean major)….

Evening entertainment Cats

After dinner we took the kids back to the room got them in to bed and the 13 year old was just going to hang with them in the room while we went to Cats.

Cats

Theater is art and art is view differently by everyone so please don’t blast me for my review but feel free to share yours. Just don’t hijack and turn this in to a, what show is the longest running, most family friendly, blah blah blah thread.

The show is billed as a full length Broadway Show and that it is. The set is unreal very detailed huge props the whole stage and theater is been transformed for this show. The stage is just as good as anything you would see on Broadway. RCCL spared no expense on this set. The costumes and makeup are by far some of the best I have seen in any show that I have ever been to. The word around the ship and it was confirmed in the backstage tour is that Royal spent close to $10,000 per costume including wigs tails ect. Some were obviously more than others. The singing and dancing was just as good if not better than any show on or off Broadway.

With all that being said… Not my thing, I nor my wife enjoyed the show and she had seen it on Broadway (she did not like it then only told me this after she knew I did not like did not want to ruin my experience). I found it hard to follow sounded like the kept singing the same song over and over again with a different cat taking the lead each time. Like I said singing and dancing were awesome.

Then came intermission… we as well as 1/3 to half of the audience did not return after intermission (this was confirmed by Drew the Cruise director and the Captain during Captains Corner later in the week) was also the problem during the other two shows but not as bad. Now I was told by some that went back for the second half said it was way better than the first… I can’t confirm that.

We were told that this showing for Cats on the Oasis was its true Opening Night as the show had not yet been done in it full version with all the scenes and full music track (most had been done with piano or part music part piano).

Cats was a major talking point during the Captains Corner, and the back stage tour. The Captain addressed it and said they are very aware that a large number of people walked out of the show at intermission. The largest amount was on the first night and they are addressing that by changing the times when they show it like they will be changing to not have it on the first night of the sailing and maybe start it a bit earlier. They said it is a work in progress because this is the first time a full length show has been done on a ship and Royal has made a huge investment in it so they are dedicated to making it work.

Next up Nassau Bahamas

Blue Lagoon and major dinner mishap….

Sail Away

I really wanted to do Sail Away on the secret deck on 14 but I was over ruled by the wife and kids the wanted to do the DreamWorks Sail Away party in the Aqua Theater. So we went down back of the ship on deck 5 to do sail away then we could just go up the stairs right there to get to the Aqua Theater. The DreamWorks party started after we were sailing very fun the kids loved it!

I thought that the secret deck/balconies were all in the process of being converted to passenger suites on Oasis...and the same plan if or Allure when she goes in for her dry dock.

We were on Allure this past June and were on one of the secret balconies with a few friends for sail away...for me it was overrated. I would much rather be on the pool deck or somewhere with more activity going on for sail away.

Thank you for the review. I am following along.

Your up early, or just getting home? I'm watching along to, though my Oasis cruise is still more than 500 days. I did see he went the Dog Haus so that tradition will continue for me on Oasis.

I thought that the secret deck/balconies were all in the process of being converted to passenger suites on Oasis...and the same plan if or Allure when she goes in for her dry dock.

We were on Allure this past June and were on one of the secret balconies with a few friends for sail away...for me it was overrated. I would much rather be on the pool deck or somewhere with more activity going on for sail away.

I wonder if he meant the "secret deck 14" at the front where the bridge wings are, that has been our sail away spot and waving to the web cams.

To the OP, Thanks! I always say I get something out of every review, and yours is no exception. Looking forward to more about your particular experience.

Edited by BillOh

I wonder if he meant the "secret deck 14" at the front where the bridge wings are, that has been our sail away spot and waving to the web cams.

To the OP, Thanks! I always say I get something out of every review, and yours is no exception. Looking forward to more about your particular experience.

Thank you all for following along! This is my first review so hang in there.. ;) I won't have a chance to do the next installment today, sorry busy cleaning up from 18" of snow :( and taking kids on the first snowmobile ride of the year. I am really not sure I like winter...

And yes the "secret deck" I was talking about is the one at the front over the bridge. That is my favorite sail away spot!

Day 5

Ship Day 2

Nassau Bahamas

Ship arrives early in Nassau 7:00am I believe… I had pre booked thru Royal the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter for our kids and my wife, and the Beach Break for me, my dad, and nephew (he had done the Dolphin thing before and so had I). I had looked into doing ourselves directly saves like $10pp but when you book thru Royal the ferry picks you up and drops you off at the cruise pier and not the ferry pier, and that takes a cab ride to get to. This is big because the ship is in port for such a short time, the ferry left Blue Lagoon at 12:30pm to come back about 30min ride gets you back at 1:00pm ship leaves at 2:00pm don’t leave you much extra time. We got off ferry went thru security and got back on the ship, and by the time we dropped our stuff at the room and got up to the pool we were sailing out. Not sure how you would pull this off getting to and from the Ferry Pier.

The day started early we had breakfast at the Wipe Out Café on the pool deck. They have cook to order eggs, omelets, pancakes, waffles, french toast, all the meats, hash browns, yogurt, and a few other things. The nice thing about this place nobody knows about it, and they all flock to the windjammer so it is fast and easy. After breakfast we headed down for our excursion. Side note as I said we had two different excursions booked but both at Blue Lagoon so we ride the same ferry. We got off the ship and were herded in to a large group wrist bands were handed out for the 4 different excursions to Blue lagoon (dolphin encounter, dolphin swim, sea lion encounter, and beach break) note about this all the wrist bands are the same they have printing on them to tell what you are doing and it is next to impossible to read. Also the beach break includes lunch (more on this later) so this is when the tickets for that are handed out. After everyone was banded and counted for we walk a short distance down the pier to catch the ferry like I said if you book thru Royal they pick you up and drop you off right at the pier. The Ride over was nice they keep the ferry in protected waters so it was not a bumpy ride at all nice smooth scenic ride only wish they would have narrated a little and told us what we were seeing (like what celebrity owns that big house ect..) When you arrive at Blue Lagoon Island they tell you where to go for the different excursions beach, dolphins, and sea lions. We were able to stay with the dolphin people to observe so we just went with them to the training session and the down to the dock where the encounter happens. I was able to sit nice and close and take some great pictures and video of the encounter. Like I said they give you bracelets that are all the same with printing you can’t read so it is honesty that kept me from just joining in the encounter as nobody made any effort to check anyone’s wristbands. After the encounter was over we went to the little gift shop where the sell the pictures and of course all the other stuff (t-shirts, shot glasses, stuffed critters, ect). After spending more than I wanted to in the gift shop we went to explore the island and spend some time at the beach. About 11:00 or so the kids were getting hungry so we took the three tickets we had (mine, nephew, grandpa from our beach break tickets) to get lunch for the kids. About the lunch I would not pay a bunch of money for it, it was not that great but it kept the kids from complaining about being hungry. It was very basic burger, chicken some veggie choice, fries, and a few different salads. About the beach really nice protected beach lots of places to sit in and out of the shade, they even had a huge amount of hammocks to use all for free. They do have plenty of other stuff with an upcharge floaty mats, noodles, and an inflatable park. Nice quite beach not over crowded at all. The ferry ride back was the same as the ride over and it drops you at the end of the cruise ship pier. Over all I would rate Blue Lagoon Island very high and probably be my choice the next time I am in Nassau.

Back on the ship we went to the room and dropped of stuff and the girls and I went to the pool and mom and the boy napped until it was time to get ready for dinner. Little did we know how much of a mess that would be….

Read your Compass!!!

I repeat read it the night before, the morning of, during the day… Get the point?

Back to the room to get ready for dinner, quick and painless. Ready with plenty of time to walk to dinner as we headed out the door I grabbed the evening planner part of the compass so I could read the goings on for the evening… And this is where it went south. As we walked to dinner one word on the planner caught my eye FORMAL. S**T how is this possible formal night I have always known to be on the first and second sea days (I am not a worldly cruiser by no means but this is the way it has been in the past for me) never on a port day. What’s the big deal you ask, the dining room will still seat you and you can still get dinner right? That is correct they will, but that is not the point. We are ones that make a big deal about formal night the girls love being dressed up like Princesses, son really likes to look spiffy, and I paid $100 to rent the tux for the week. And other than all the hair (the 2 girls and her own) she has to do my wife enjoys it as well. Ok so now I am pissed about this mix up as I should have known this, read the compass (I always do but didn’t) our waiter always says something the night before like tomorrow is the first formal night or somehow you just know it… I was so mad about this I could not even do anything about it. What’s the big deal just go change? Not that easy as the hair has to be totally different and getting 3 kids redressed hair done was going to take time and we would be way too late for the early seating. So my wife (normally it would be me but I was too mad to do it) went to talk to the dining room manager and he found us an open table for the late seating. Little did I know the good that would come out of this... So back to the room we go to get ready for dinner the second time. Now we have time to get ready and take some great photos on the way to dinner. I wish I could just cut and paste photos here, I am not even sure how to do photos. This one time dinner we were assigned to a table in American Icon on deck 3. Now tonight’s dinner was probably one of the most enjoyable dining experience I have ever had on a ship. Our waiter for the night John came over and introduced himself and met us for the first time he inquired as to why we missed night one and we explained what had happen and that we would only be there that night as late seating is just too late with the kids. He said well let’s make the most of it then and he left. He quickly came back with fruit cups and chocolate milks for the kids (we never said a word about this) how did he know that is exactly what our kids wanted! First WOW of the night. John was new to having his own section for dinner service his name tag still said assistant and he was not the assistant anymore starting with this sailing just had not got new name tag yet. Now John had other tables and the dining room was very busy that night but somehow we felt like we were the only one having dinner that night. Dinner was truly special that night for so many reasons. This was a huge change from the night before as that was so forgettable. We really want to switch to Johns service but in early seating. I said this to John but he thought we were joking about this. We were not. I saw a guy that looked really important walking around directing the waiters so I stopped him and told him about our experience this evening and requested a table that John be our waiter for the rest of the week. Now like I said John had just started having his own tables. When his boss was checking John was almost in tears as he thank us for praising him to his boss he was so so grateful of that. This alone was worth the mix up!!! To have someone so grateful for being recognized for outstanding service was awesome. Now for the bad news American Icon was fully booked for the early seating so our hopes were dashed of having John for the rest of the week. Dinner did turn around at our assigned table, more on that later. After dinner was done we said some tearful goodbyes to John and again he was so grateful for the praises we gave him to him and to his boss.

After Dinner we spent a little time walking the Promenade on the way back to the room. It had been a long day so we called it a night.

One down side to our room location it was as far from the dining room as you could get but I loved the location. One tip for getting around the ship if you need to go from bow to stern or back again use decks 5 Royal Promenade or deck 8 Central Park way nicer than walking in narrow halls surrounded by rooms. By the end of the week everyone had figured out why we would go to deck 5 only to walk to back of the ship to go up one deck to Boardwalk or down one deck to dinner. They would ask if we are going to deck 6 why don’t we just go there, or when going up to the room why would we go to deck 8 just to walk thru Central Park to then go up to deck 11 to the room… You can walk on deck 4 as well but you have to go thru the casino and that can be crowded and smoky at times (plus my two favorite spots on the ship are Central Park & the Royal Promenade, Boardwalk is right up there to).

Up next Sea Day…