Best Rhine River Cruise Line, money no object....

atwnsw

My wife and I are looking to take a 7 day Rhine cruise and would like to know:

Who are the the top 3 best cruise Rhine lines including foood?

What is the best way to book them (Travel agent or ??? or discount.

Without going into a lot of detail we are 50 but I have health issues so travel is arduous on me. For this reason the only way we travel (which isn't often) is first class all the way.

We just did an Alaskan Trip and took Silverseas which was one of the top recommendations from this forum. In hindsight, the food was disappointing but otherwise we had a blast!

While I say money is no object, in reality our budget for 2 excluding airfare will be $10k-15k for a room with a real balcony (not french balcony).

I forgot to ask, what is the best way to book a European cruise? Travel agent? Do European River cruises offer OBC (on board credits) or other perks or are they all priced equally from regardless of where I book it?

Thanks in advance....

Anthony

Edited by atwnsw

The sticky at the top of this forum has a lot of introductory information for new river cruisers.

More specific to your question, Cruise Critic put together this guide to the different river cruise lines which compares them to ocean cruise lines and to hotel chains. That might help you figure out which you consider the top three:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Thanks, Jazz, for those links, especially the PDFs. I have been reading"Rivers" for months but never thought to read your Stickie.

Anthony, I would call around to different Agencies because some have group bookings that have amenities like OBC. We are doing the 7-day Rhine with Viking because my friend picked the company and I picked November 2015 (Viking Var is the ship). I also need a full balcony. We are also doing 3 nights pre-cruise in Prague and 2 nights post-cruise in Nuremberg with Viking's package. With air, it is $5000 each. I intend to pay the extra $50 each to customize our air. Just a warning that you need to book > a year out, or more, to get your desired cabin.

I would go on line and order brochures for all the river cruise lines. Lay them all out on the bed and study the Deck Plans. I had to go to Office Depot and, for $10, I bought a page-sized magnifier. Useful for map-reading also. It takes a lot of study but fun, fun, fun.

;):D:cool:;):D

Anthony,

We took our first river cruise in July with Uniworld on the SS Antoinette which sales the Rhine. It is the only river cruise we have been on but will be booking another for 2016. In my research I found that many consider Uniworld, Tauck, and AMA as luxury lines. I certainly feel Uniworld was as it is all inclusive including all alcohol, tips, and daily excursions except for 3 optional excursions. We found the food outstanding. We sailed in one of their 8 suites which did include a true balcony which I loved. The suites also come with Butler service which takes the service over the top. You can read my review that is currently near the top of this board where I really try to address my cruise from a luxury perspective. By paying to get the early booking discount our cruise was in the budget you are describing. I believe you have to use a TA to book Uniworld and there can be some price variation or amenities provided such as on board credit that can be used for the optional excursions or in the gift shop. Those are the only two place you could use the OBC since everything else is included. Be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. I highly recommend the Rhine and the SS Antoinette in particular

truly 5 star.New to US market in past few yrs.so not as many reviews. Tried it in June(after thinking AMA and Tauck were luxury.This beats that, full balcony,full tub in jr.suite with room service,butler,all drinks,excursions,airport pk.up,tips,etc. Do use TA, can google those that handle luxury river lines>they often give rebates, OBC,etc.but handle all the details for no money(take a percentage from company,not you).

Also, great food,staff,extra rest.onboard,....you name it and taken care of for you.Get a brochure and look at their website, must book 1yr.in advance .Sell out quickly.

Get what you pay for.Top of the line for us after trying ALL the major lines on 11 river cruises,,,so far.:D

Wow. Thank you all for the info and pdf file.

Now to narrow the itinerary. But thanks to all of you there are basically 4 luxury lines to pursue:

Uniworld, Tauck, Amaway, Scenic.

Once I finalize a cruise line & itinerary, I may have a few follow up questions.

Thank you again.

Anthony

I'm a known Tauck fan but to be honest there is very little to differentiate between Scenic, Uniworld and Tauck. Each have there selling points and for me the vast difference in the maximum numbers of people on board play a big role in my choice. When you are on the same size ship you just have to worry where space is taken away to accommodate 45+ extra passengers. That said I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise whatever line you choose.

I believe Scenic is the only line to have butler service for all guests. That would be a differentiation in terms of personal service. Tauck and Scenic are fully inclusive if that is what you are looking for. Scenic is the new kid on the block compared to the others and I have read mixed reviews. Tauck has a long standing reputation of quality.

We are AMA fans and are leaving Sat. for our 4th AMA cruise (8th river cruise overall). We have considered Uniworld and looked at Scenic but are happy with AMA and the consistent level of quality and service they deliver. Enough so that we have two more booked with AMA after this one.

until Scenic, AMA WAS my favorite line(with 4 cruises )but I love to try new things.What swayed me was the room service and tub(and they mentioned the wanted full balcony) so that eliminates Tauck.

So few Scenic reviews that correct ,they are mixed.But last 5 posted have been 5 star.Also, liked personal airport pk up(in minivan,not bus)even for those that get own air(can be big expense for taxi in some ports).

Just thinking about it, maybe I should STOP mentioning Scenic,since they are so booked ahead already,,haha.

Just do a LOT of research and find out what s best for YOU and can always try another NEXT time,if you like river cruising.I alternate with ocean for best of both,ea 6 mos.;);)