~sigh~ yes it's another passport question

Pathfinder1964

My family and I are going on an Alaska cruise next year on HAL. Some of them have passports, some of us don't. Since one of our port calls is in Canada, will we need a passport or can we still get by with our photo ID/birth certificate? Hate to spend the money on a passport if they are still not needed.

Thanks for any replies!

Are you sailing from and returning to Seattle ? Then a government issued photo id and state issued (not from hospital) US birth certificate will work. I'm "assuming" everyone in your family is a US citizen.

Always best to have a US passport; it's one of the best investments, you'll ever make. And it's the best form of identification in case of an emergency. And you'll have less papers to carry around.

You're spending all that money on a cruise, so spend the $80 and get a passport ! :)

Edited by Boatdrill

Are you sailing from and returning to Seattle ? Then a government issued photo id and state issued (not from hospital) US birth certificate will work. I'm "assuming" everyone in your family is a US citizen.

Always best to have a US passport; it's one of the best investments, you'll ever make. And it's the best form of identification in case of an emergency. And you'll have less papers to carry around.

You're spending all that money on a cruise, so spend the $80 and get a passport ! :)

$80.00? That's for the kids passport, plus a $25 processing fee.

They cost more than that for adults - $110 plus $25 processing fee (for first time applicants).

$80.00? That's for the kids passport, plus a $25 processing fee.

They cost more than that for adults - $110 plus $25 processing fee (for first time applicants).

Isn't that for 10 years? It's such a small amount. I guess being canadian I just don't understand the reluctance to get a passport. It seems like such a pain not to have one.

There are some excursions , notably some of the White Pass & Yukon RR, that require passports. Also I was told that the Tracy Arm catamaran excursion would require a passport but none were checked.

Yes a passport is required for some excursions in Skagway. Even the bus to the summit ( even if your not crossing at Fraser) requires a passport to come back into the US.

Isn't that for 10 years? It's such a small amount. I guess being canadian I just don't understand the reluctance to get a passport. It seems like such a pain not to have one.

The adult passport is 10 years. The child passport is 5 years.

Personally, we have passports. I agree it's a good thing to have.

Most of the time the reluctance comes in for monetary reasons. Having to get passports for a family of more than 2 or 3, can be a big cost at once.

There are some excursions , notably some of the White Pass & Yukon RR, that require passports. Also I was told that the Tracy Arm catamaran excursion would require a passport but none were checked.

Yep, it's a closed loop, and yes we are all US Citizens, born and bred...lol. I probably should go ahead and just get a passport since the day is coming where it will be a requirement.

I agree with the others.. Get a Passport ! We took the Chilkoot White Pass & Yukon RR tour & a passport was required!.. It would be a shame for you to miss this tour if others in your party were going on the tour..

Also, if you have to go into Canada for a medical emergency, or get a flight out of Canada for a family emergency to fly back to the U.S., you are required to have a Passport..

Don't take the chance..I was in travel for over 30 years, & would never think of leaving the U.S. without a passport,...There have been many incidents where people have had unexpected accidents &/or family emergencies & have had to fly back to the U.S...No Passport/No Flight!

Most of the time the reluctance comes in for monetary reasons. Having to get passports for a family of more than 2 or 3, can be a big cost at once.

Is $100 for 5 years a big expense? That's $20 a year. My sisters boss bought an iPhone for his daughter that's about 5 years old. I'm 53 and don't have one. If parents can get their kids a cell phone the passport would be cheap in comparison.

It used to be photo ID was all that was required for Americans and Canadians to visit each others countries.

The United States government changed the rules during the tenure of President George W. Bush, requiring all foreigners (including Canadians) visiting or transiting the USA to possess a valid passport.

Canada reciprocated and so Americans visiting or transiting Canada must now also possess a valid passport. There exist some pre-approval regimes for driving across the borders, but I believe those people also have to have a passport (just not show it every time). There's another program for pre-screening and fast tracking when travelling by air as well, but it costs more and you still need a passport.

Your cruise documents should specify passport requirements. If the ship is docking in Canada, then in my mind you are in Canada and so should need a passport. Better to have and not need, than need it and not have! Plus you could take advantage of last-minute fares more easily next time, if you have a passport already.

Is $100 for 5 years a big expense? That's $20 a year. My sisters boss bought an iPhone for his daughter that's about 5 years old. I'm 53 and don't have one. If parents can get their kids a cell phone the passport would be cheap in comparison.

The money issue comes in when you have to buy 4 or 5 (or more) passports all at once. Sure, if you pro-rate it out, it's not a big expense over time, but when you get passports, you have pay for them all upfront, not on time.

We didn't get cell phones for our kids. They got their own when they were in college. Different families have different priorities.

As I noted, my vote is for everyone to have passports, but sometimes it just isn't feasible for everyone to get one at the same time. Some families stagger the purchase.

The money issue comes in when you have to buy 4 or 5 (or more) passports all at once. Sure, if you pro-rate it out, it's not a big expense over time, but when you get passports, you have pay for them all upfront, not on time.

We didn't get cell phones for our kids. They got their own when they were in college. Different families have different priorities.

As I noted, my vote is for everyone to have passports, but sometimes it just isn't feasible for everyone to get one at the same time. Some families stagger the purchase.

Yes, I understand how payments for passports work. It's the same in Canada. I hear people say it's a big expense but my point is, that it really isn't in the scheme of things. I would hazard to guess that things are different for younger folks than they were when your children grew up. If getting passports is going to be financially binding I worry that a cruise will be the same. Alaska is not cheap by any means.

Yes, I understand how payments for passports work. It's the same in Canada. I hear people say it's a big expense but my point is, that it really isn't in the scheme of things. I would hazard to guess that things are different for younger folks than they were when your children grew up. If getting passports is going to be financially binding I worry that a cruise will be the same. Alaska is not cheap by any means.

Well, it wasn't that long ago my kids were young :D (youngest is still in college). Yes, all their friends had phones by the time they were in middle school for the most part, but mine didn't. It wasn't necessary. For some families it is.

Anyway, back on topic, my vote is passports - yes.

I agree it is expensive if you have to get 3, 4 or more passports at one time. I think the idea of staggering the purchase of them is a great idea.

I would venture to say that booking a cruise for a family of more than 2 or 3 is an even greater cost than getting passports. We have had our passports for almost 20 years now. Ours will expire in 2017 and we will be renewing them even if we don't have cruise planned.

To enter Canada in a car, bus or train, you will need a passport.

Last time on the White Pass & Yukon railroad, Canadian border patrol came on the train to check passports.

I have it on good authority that the number one way for Americans to sneak into Canada is via the White Pass Railway in Skagway. From the air at night, you see the glowing dots of all the illegal immigrant camp fires. ;)

My DH and I traveled on cruises to the Caribbean without passports. Discovered we loved cruising and wanted to be able to take advantage of good deals if they came our way so bit the bullet and got passports even though cost was a consideration. Then, while traveling, we saw more than one family disembark in a foreign port with an ambulance waiting for one of their folks. Flying home from, or even staying in another country for medical care without a passport is problematic. We decided the passports were money well spent, (as is travel insurance).

I would venture to say that booking a cruise for a family of more than 2 or 3 is an even greater cost than getting passports. We have had our passports for almost 20 years now. Ours will expire in 2017 and we will be renewing them even if we don't have cruise planned.

Exactly my point.

To enter Canada in a car, bus or train, you will need a passport.

Last time on the White Pass & Yukon railroad, Canadian border patrol came on the train to check passports.

When we did the trip the U.S. border patrol came aboard just outside Skagway on our return leg to check passports as we had entered Canada for a short while.

Maybe this will help - it is from this website:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

Traveling by Sea?

All adult U.S. citizens arriving by sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean must have a passport.*

Either a passport book or passport card may be used.

All U.S. citizens may apply for a passport card.

To learn more about the passport card, including how to apply and the differences between the passport book and passport card, please visit our U.S. Passport Card page.

*"Closed-Loop" Cruises: If you are a U.S. citizen, and you board a cruise ship at a U.S. port, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship, you may present government-issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

My sister did a similar cruise in Sept and HAL informed her that they would need a passport if they wanted to get off the ship in Vancouver. Now HAL is not always accurate but...

I have it on good authority that the number one way for Americans to sneak into Canada is via the White Pass Railway in Skagway. From the air at night, you see the glowing dots of all the illegal immigrant camp fires. ;)

:D:D Thanks for the big laugh..I needed that this morning!:D:D

I cannot understand anyone who travels in this day and age not having a passport. Yes, it is expensive to cough up the cost for a whole family, but so is a cruise or a trip anywhere for a whole family. The cost just has to be factored in. Eventually your kids get old enough to renew their own.;)