Formal nights

markuuk

I have been on three Costa cruises (loved every one of them). This is Costa: the dress code is not a “code”; it’s more like a vague suggestion. On the two formal nights on the Fascinosa I saw zero, yes, zero, tuxedos. Generously speaking, perhaps one third of the men had jackets on, and of these maybe half of them bothered with a tie. For the two thirds of the men who did not wear jackets, many seem to opt for donning their “nicer” pair of jeans. For the rest the difference in attire between formal nights and informal nights was indiscernible. One the first formal night, I saw a teenager in shorts and flip-flops walk by our table at dinner in the main dining room. On Costa the operative word is “whatever”.

We had no idea what to take for our 5 nighter round the Med in September so ended up just taking formal wear anyway. My husband should have taken a suit instead, but I was glad I took my nice dresses as a lot of ladies were formal - even on non-formal nights

Caryl

• 3 weeks later...

Formal nights on Costa are not really formal unless you consider men may wear a jacket or an ironed shirt with their jeans as opposed to non formal nights where jackets are not warn and shirts are less pressed. There are still a few, and I mean a very small number of guests who do dress, so if your inclined to do so, you will not he the only one as you will see about three or four other couples dressed as well. Dress as you like and enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this info regarding 'formal wear' as we are shortly taking our first Costa cruise (Deliziosa March 15th). Could you please tell me what their policy is regarding taking alcohol on-board? and whether they do a 'bag' wash and fold service as well as the standard laundry please?

After reading your info on formal dress I think I will just take a couple of jackets rather than a dinner suit!! Thanks again, Malcolm

Thank you very much for this info regarding 'formal wear' as we are shortly taking our first Costa cruise (Deliziosa March 15th). Could you please tell me what their policy is regarding taking alcohol on-board? and whether they do a 'bag' wash and fold service as well as the standard laundry please?

After reading your info on formal dress I think I will just take a couple of jackets rather than a dinner suit!! Thanks again, Malcolm

Costa has a total ban on taking alcohol onboard, if found it will be taken away and returned at the end of the cruise. All Costa ships have a laundry, ironing and dry cleaning services (there are no self-service laundries on any Costa ship), two or 3 day before the end of the cruise there is a special laundry "bag" offer of 20 pieces for €25.

The following is from Costa UK website about taking things onboard:

"it is forbidden to bring any kind of food or drink on board, in either hand baggage or cabin baggage. The only exceptions are toiletries (e.g. shampoo, bath foam, creams, etc.), liquid medicines, products or foods specifically made for babies, products or foods for certified special diets. The ban includes any food or drinks bought during stopovers in ports. Any local produce purchased on stopovers will be held in store on board the ship and returned to Guests at the end of the cruise."

I'm a rebel - I overdress on Costa cruises. I bring long frocks for formal nights and don't care if I'm in a small minority. I probably dress better on casual nights that some do for formal, but that is my choice. I do think though that you find more women dressed up on formal nights than men. I rarely see a man in a tux. Did once see a passenger in full highland dress (well apart from a dummy sgian dubh since security would not have allowed him his real knife in his sock) on a New Year's Eve formal evening and boy did he look great. Crew and passengers were queueing up to have their photo taken with him!

Edited by AmoMondo

Many thanks indeed for the info on alcohol as cruise lines have different rules (RCI now allow 2 bottles of wine to be taken on and Princess let us take unlimited wine and beer onboard!) and thank you for all the helpful comments regarding formal wear.

It will be my Mom and Dads 64th wedding anniversary on this cruise (we will be in Mauritius) - can I arrange a special celebration? Would I do this at guest services whilst onboard?

Thank you for the information regarding the special bag wash, we are on the 47 night half world cruise (Sydney to Italy) and so I guess the laundry is going to take a bit of a hammering!!

Check the daily program (called TODAY - it's a mine of information) it will state when the bag wash is available.

Your lucky, this is the first Costa world cruise where passengers can have their wash done , previously they had to do it themselves in rivers - so the wash really took a hammering.:D

Have a great cruise.

PS. Of course the river wash day was only a joke, but you must take the washboard.

Costa Laundry.pdf

1035547388_washday.jpg.e5c3cfdc6ecd10a6f8f663386f6b9e19.jpg

Edited by G.M.T.

Many thanks indeed for the info on alcohol as cruise lines have different rules (RCI now allow 2 bottles of wine to be taken on and Princess let us take unlimited wine and beer onboard!) and thank you for all the helpful comments regarding formal wear.

It will be my Mom and Dads 64th wedding anniversary on this cruise (we will be in Mauritius) - can I arrange a special celebration? Would I do this at guest services whilst onboard?

Here is the link to Costa - UK Special Services, that can be ordered. For such items, I have always booked / paid for the before sailing, then take invoices /documentation with me and then check with guest services as soon as I board then again a few days before the event. Things like flowers are best ordered before sailing. You can also order a special cake (can be ordered onboard).

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/before_board/services/Pages/SpecialServicesCategories.aspx#anchor-ss

It seems there is a big difference between cruises starting from Italy aend those starting from the US.

I've only cruised on those from Italy where most of the passengers are Italian, French or Spanish. In the evenings I never saw any one in the MDR dressed shabbily. On ~Formal nights the men almost all wore a suit. There were a few with long sleeved shirts and ties. And the ladies were all dressed elegantly.

Nowadays, unfortunately, some people buy expensive , smart jeans and think they are suitable for evening wear. I've seen shops selling 'cocktail' jeans !!!

It seems there is a big difference between cruises starting from Italy aend those starting from the US.

I've only cruised on those from Italy where most of the passengers are Italian, French or Spanish. In the evenings I never saw any one in the MDR dressed shabbily. On ~Formal nights the men almost all wore a suit. There were a few with long sleeved shirts and ties. And the ladies were all dressed elegantly.

Nowadays, unfortunately, some people buy expensive , smart jeans and think they are suitable for evening wear. I've seen shops selling 'cocktail' jeans !!!

That is so true. Overall the passengers on Costa are better dressed than passengers on the "American" cruise lines that I have sailed.