Questions about HAL Asia cruise 4-3-06

anniecat

HI....Hope someone knows:

1) What time can we board in Osaka?

1a) Any place to shop near the ship pre-board for wine to bring on board/take home gifts?

2) Why is there a port call in Dailin China...from the excursions sounds like there is no reason. (unless you want to visit a pre-school) :rolleyes:

3) What hotel is used on the overnight to Bejing...a Western style I hope/with bath/and clean? Are the buses school-bus style or Greyhound style?

Is this tour worth it?

4) What's a good choice for hotel post cruise on Hong Kong for a few days?

5) Is the on-board photo shop burning CD's from digital cards yet?

I'm sooooo excited about this trip....35th anniversary trip!!!!!

Hi anniecat,

As to time you may board, you will just have to wait until I get off! (I will be aboard starting with the Statendam's February 18th sailing from Auckland and will depart at Osaka.) I have been wondering when I will have to leave the ship, but do not yet know. (I have a 1:10 P.M. flight out of Osaka, so it won't be too late in the morning.) A call to Ship Services in Seattle may provide you with the information.

From my 2002 Volendam Asia Pacific cruise experience, the buses used in China on the tours were better than Greyhound: modern, air-conditioned, comfortable seats, even curtains at the windows.

As to hotel in Hong Kong, near where the ship is likely to dock in Kowloon is the fabled Peninsula Hotel and the Interconential Hotel that is directly on the harbor's edge with what should be a fantastic view of Hong Kong Island. I have stayed at neither, so cannot give a personal recommendation of either. I did walk through the lobby of the Peninsula when tea was being served and hoped to partake of that experience this time when I am in Hong Kong.

In Beijing, in 2002, the overnight tour used the Beijing Hotel and it was a wonderful facility, very well located, Western-style rooms with a choice of breakfast buffet of either Eastern or Western dishes. Keep in mind that it is at least a 2 one-half hour bus ride between Xingang and Beijing. If you do not take the overnight tour, but want to spend both days in Beijing, take the travel time into consideration.

Sorry, but the other questions you have, I am unable to answer.

I hope you are enjoying the planning of your cruise as much as I am in planning mine!

Archived