Leaving kids on ship at Port

crazycruizer

We should be used to key facts being left out by now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To be fair, the OP just asked whether you were allowed to leave the kids on board. They weren't asking whether they should or not, so much of the additional info wasn't all that relevant to their question.

why is this any different then commuting to work an hour and half away while your kids are at school or daycare? Bring a cell phone and if any issues they will get a hold of you.

The difference for me is that if I couldn't make it home from my work commute (if I had one) there would be relatives/friends/neighbors who could step in and offer comfort and supervision for my children. The poster did say they wanted to leave their "younger" children on the ship while they went zip lining with their older kids.

OP, yes you can do it. The odds are slim that there would be a problem. Decide for yourself if you can accept the very remote possibility that your younger children may be left in the care of strangers and make your own choice.

To be fair, the OP just asked whether you were allowed to leave the kids on board. They weren't asking whether they should or not, so much of the additional info wasn't all that relevant to their question.

But neglected to say they weren't actually leaving the kids alone onboard because they are cruising with a large family group. Makes a very big difference. The kids would actually have adult family members with them should a problem occur which changes the entire scenario

But neglected to say they weren't actually leaving the kids alone onboard because they are cruising with a large family group. Makes a very big difference. The kids would actually have adult family members with them should a problem occur which changes the entire scenario

No it doesn't. They were asking whether they were allowed to. For that question to be answered the other info isn't necessary. We chose to add further info, but they didn't ask for it, so there is no reason for them to have given the info.

If they had asked whether they SHOULD leave them then it would be different, but they asked whether they COULD. It's a different thing.

Judging by the fact that they said they have previously done it on another cruise line, it's fair to say they have probably already made the decision that they should do it.

Edited by KeithJenner

Don't listen to the "helicopter" parents.

Those are the same people who still use a baby monitor when their child is 10.

Your kids will be fine on the ship.

We did it all the time when the kids where younger and it was great.

It is a service the ships provides and you should take advantage of it.

Many people do. If you don't believe it, go to the kids club right after the ship docks and you will see the lines..

You need to do what is best for you and your family. Only you can decide that.

I personally would not feel comfortable leaving my children on the ship while I go off into a foreign country. Too many variables that could prevent ME from getting back, even if the children are safest on the ship.

Now, given a bit more of the facts than the original post had, if there is a huge brood of relatives, including some adults remaining behind, then absolutely.

Wow, you guys are nitpicky about the details! I really do appreciate the answer about whether or not it is allowed, that is truly all i was asking. I will have a large family onboard, but as I said my sister and my brother will also be leaving their kids. Even though we have a large group ALL of us want to go zip lining. So there really probably won't be an adult left behind, and I am willing to take that risk.

One of the reasons that I LOVE cruising with my kids is that it allows me a chance to have fun and do grown up things and to have lots of space from my kids in the process. When we went before my kids begged to be in Adventure Ocean (RCCL) all day everyday and they never missed me one minute. They probably never even knew that I left the ship. This is a different set of kids but I anticipate them doing just fine as well.

I am very conscientious about ship time, and would never do anything that would put me anywhere near missing the ship. I and my entire family are also 100% sober, so I' won't be getting a little tipsy and lose track of time.

This last April I went to China, and my husband went to Peru all in the same week and we left our kids at home staying with friends, and family by themselves. I love my kids, and have devoted 13 years of my life to them as a stay at home mom, but I have reached the point in my life where it is my turn to spread my wings and do a few things for me. I just don't allow myself to lay awake at night worrying about all the things that could happen. I just save that energy so that when something actually does happen I'm ready to take it and conquer it.

No it doesn't. They were asking whether they were allowed to. For that question to be answered the other info isn't necessary. We chose to add further info, but they didn't ask for it, so there is no reason for them to have given the info.

If they had asked whether they SHOULD leave them then it would be different, but they asked whether they COULD. It's a different thing.

Judging by the fact that they said they have previously done it on another cruise line, it's fair to say they have probably already made the decision that they should do it.

Nevermind

Edited by luvtheships

No, lol, I'm glad you said that. I was starting to get the idea that my parents didn't love me as a child because they were... I'm trying to think of how to word this without it coming out wrong... very... liberal (?) in allowing us freedom and independence. They would have left us on the ship and not worried about all of the potentially horrible things that *could* have happened. I'm 31 now and unscathed!

I forgot that I had made this post! Glad to read everyone's responses about whether or not it is allowed. Laughing at all the parenting advice I have received. Thanks for your concern. My 12 years of parenting 4 kids has so far left them all fairly unscathed. This also includes leaving my 3 and 5 year olds all alone on a cruise a few years back. I spend hundreds of hours a year teaching personal empowerment and safety education to young kids. I know the risks and I am willing to take them. I choose not to spend my life worrying about what might be happening every single second of the day.

My kids are 4 and 7 that I would like to leave on board, and sounds like this will be allowed. My brother will also be leaving his 4 year old and my sister her 5 year old. I guess we are all just a bunch of unfit parents ;) With over 30 of my siblings, parents, nieces and nephews on board there might be someone left on board that will be there in case a need arrives, and there might not be.

Thanks for your answers!

Haha, I know WAY too many people like that.

Don't listen to the "helicopter" parents.

Those are the same people who still use a baby monitor when their child is 10.

Your kids will be fine on the ship.

We did it all the time when the kids where younger and it was great.

It is a service the ships provides and you should take advantage of it.

Many people do. If you don't believe it, go to the kids club right after the ship docks and you will see the lines..