QUANTUM is EPIC FAILURE—2½ STARS!!!

gkbiiii

Christmas cruise on Quantum was cancelled and we're doing Independence instead for $3600 less. Royal Caribean stock has been sold. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking if CC members thought RC was heading in the wrong direction - I believe it is...

I cannot give an honest opinion of the ship, because I have not been on her yet, but have read far more negative experiences than positive. We'll give her some time to work out the kinks before we give opinion.

Your very wise to have done this, before your exit window expired. I strongly suggest that others, whom spent in excess of $14,000+++ for the China repo, reconsider and cancel their bookings. I would not stay on this vessel, with its "Dynamic Dining" for a month-plus, if you paid me!!!

Guest maddycat
Dude - I love your passion, and the details in your post. It wasn't just "It sucked!"

But, common, you can't post "The drunken exploits, of the woman RCCL Vice-President, at the Bionic Bar; is a complete disgrace to RCCL, its passengers, & its employees!!!! " without giving us the details!

Yes! Tell us more.

Already announced that voyager will be changing to dynamic dining. It would seem that Quantum is really dividing opinions. People seem to love it or hate it. Personally I can't wait to sail on Anthem next year

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just take a cheap NCL Epic cruise and you will know if this ship/dining is for you; as they more similar than different.

Of the complaints being posted, not one of those posts acknowledged the OBC/25% FCC given.:(

Why do you need us to acknowledge something that has been discussed and posted about on other Quantum threads ?

But hey I am happy to say something about it......it was hush money...they knew they had made such a mess of embarkation and we were late sailing because tons of luggage was still sitting on the dock.

Their computer system was down so they couldn't charge anyone for drinks, we couldn't check reservations for restaurants.

One minute we were told sorry we are full come back in 3 days and then we heard some folks were getting into the specialty restaurants for free after just being told they were full.

They left 300 contractors in Southampton because there were not any cabins available for them.

Some staff boarded the ship the same day we did...without any Quantum training.

The ship should not have sailed.

Your very wise to have done this, before your exit window expired. I strongly suggest that others, whom spent in excess of $14,000+++ for the China repo, reconsider and cancel their bookings. I would not stay on this vessel, with its "Dynamic Dining" for a month-plus, if you paid me!!!

14K ++++ per person?

We are on 39 days of this repo and we have spent nowhere near half that amount. Many who booked right at release paid less than we did.

I have read both the negative and positive reviews and understand peoples opinions. As we are flexible and go with the flow the positive reviews look to be from those with similar attitudes while the negative come from more "traditional" cruise customers who enjoy the tried and true (for them) routines.

As for upcharges there is NOTHING that I would use anyway so they do not affect me at all.

Edited by woodyren

You'll probably will never cruise RCL as the entire fleet will eventually go to a DD concept.

And is this confirmed? No, I don't think so..

I was told that DD will only be on the Quantum series and the Allure series when they go to get refitted, the rest will stay traditional...

so maybe a bit of hope for those who like traditional Royal Carribean

Very nice to hear. I'm hoping to sail Allure in April before she gets DD!

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Already announced that voyager will be changing to dynamic dining. It would seem that Quantum is really dividing opinions. People seem to love it or hate it. Personally I can't wait to sail on Anthem next year

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually I thought it was said that Voyager was not getting DD? At least I know someone on these boards got a response from Royal on social media saying that it was not. Is there a specific announcement you're speaking of?

Also, it was announced that Freedom will not be getting DD during her dry-dock in January.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I expected glitches, but I hadn't expected the number of mishaps as there were.

This tells me, there is a cowboy somewhere calling the shots, who has likely ignored the advice that to deliver the quality we expect wasn't going to happen. Is likely also someone without a clue about IT matters. The check-in process was in fact a live first test on real customers. That just isn't done, because there is the highest risk that the result will be what is was 2 November in Southampton. It is the most predictable outcome, I'm sure they were told, and did it anyway, and that's disappoints me. The prebooking on the DD should have given them a HUGE clue that the technology had too many bugs. It was just a series of high risk decisions that for the most part didn't pan out.

but ho-hum, I'm not a share holder anyway.

and anyway, I had a great time, met great people, and relaxed. I'm just a bit sad I couldn't walk off the ship and tell you all how RCCL against all odds pulled a brilliantly run sailing off...

And for my two cents worth, I hope they pull at least 3 of their desserts with peanut butter mousse, yuck!

And anyway, I had a great time, met great people, and relaxed. I'm just a bit sad I couldn't walk off the ship and tell you all how RCCL against all odds pulled a brilliantly run sailing off...

And now all we can do is hope that they learned a valuable lesson for when they launch the Anthem (and even further off, the Ovation). But for some reason, I'm afraid they'll do it the same way…

Actually I thought it was said that Voyager was not getting DD? At least I know someone on these boards got a response from Royal on social media saying that it was not. Is there a specific announcement you're speaking of?

Also, it was announced that Freedom will not be getting DD during her dry-dock in January.

They are slowing down the conversion after Oasis class but Royal has made it known it is their intent to roll DD out to as many ships as can accommodate the changes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Why do you need us to acknowledge something that has been discussed and posted about on other Quantum threads ?

Because this is not other Quantum threads. The OP posted a long dissertation about their experience but not once acknowledged that RCI acknowledged the various problems and gave them compensation as has been mentioned in those other Quantum threads.

As for upcharges there is NOTHING that I would use anyway so they do not affect me at all.

They impact you and everyone else by being space and amenities not available for all to enjoy. Yes, of course the charges are optional; but when the bulk of amenities and features start to have charges it leaves what is INCLUDED to be a lot less.

The ship should not have sailed.

Although it was discussed in other threads, it would have been nice for the OP to note that RCI did acknowledge their problems with the OBC and cruise credit.

Maybe they needed extra time and should not have scheduled sailings so soon, but how mad would you have been if they canceled the sailing? I have no doubt we would have been reading about bad experiences with canceled sailings yada yada...

They are slowing down the conversion after Oasis class but Royal has made it known it is their intent to roll DD out to as many ships as can accommodate the changes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

All I'm saying is that I think Royal said that neither Voyager or Freedom will be getting DD during their upcoming dry docks.

I remember reading about their intent and I believe they still want to put DD on other ships, but I'm starting to wonder whether some of those plans have been scratched.

Royal, atleast don't mess with the Radiance Class, those are a wonderful experience as they are!

Because this is not other Quantum threads. The OP posted a long dissertation about their experience but not once acknowledged that RCI acknowledged the various problems and gave them compensation as has been mentioned in those other Quantum threads.

We were given the OBC and FCC at the start of the cruise....before the OP had probably encountered most, if not all of the glitches etc that he listed.

So in effect the OBC & FCC did not really need to be mentioned.

The problem with all the non traditional(2 sitting) ships is they fail to cope with the desire to eat early, few mass market ships can seat/feed everyone before 7:30. that's why they had 2 sittings.

IME* Princess have the best system on some of their ships, 3 fixed dining times flexible for the rest and if you turn up late you still get fed unlike some lines**

* things change this is 2years multiple cruises.

** Celebrity were the worst for late(>9) dining.

You see, that's what I was wondering about OBC and the 25% off.

By the time we got that, I personally wasn't bothered by the boarding process because I didn't get there until 13.30 and had only had 8 cups of coffee without half and half, and was still thinking it would be there next time I went for coffee.

And anyway, I didn't go on the cruise to get OBC or 25% off, I was really hoping they would have been MUCH further along.

It wasn't until day 6 that all the provisions were put in the computer so they could find things like half and half, honey, sour cream and Ranch salad dressing. I would give them 1 star on their logistics competencies, and a big fat 0 for Technology.

But, still I had a lovely time, even if there wasn't any ice cream to compensate for their otherwise crap desserts. Oh, and give them 1,5 stars for desserts, the 1,5 stars comes from the chocolate chip cookies and those mud pie thingies, and the lemon tartlettes until they ran out of those.

Although it was discussed in other threads, it would have been nice for the OP to note that RCI did acknowledge their problems with the OBC and cruise credit.

Maybe they needed extra time and should not have scheduled sailings so soon, but how mad would you have been if they canceled the sailing? I have no doubt we would have been reading about bad experiences with canceled sailings yada yada...

Honestly...hand on heart....I would have preferred they cancelled the 11/2 Maiden Voyage. Of course I would have been mad after waiting nearly 4 years to sail on her but the ship was not ready for passengers on 11/2.

One guest was stuck in an elevator where the alarm did not work and the phone did not work, that guest was stuck in there for over an hour and was only rescued when another guest heard him kicking the door and shouting out for help.

Another guest was stuck in her cabin for a couple of hours.

Then of course North Star broke down with guests inside.

I would love to know how long ago it was that RCCL found out that O3B was not going to work on 11/2 sailing.

Quite interesting reading here -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/11204910/Quantum-of-the-Seas-Patchy-Wi-Fi-and-malfunctioning-bionic-bartenders.html

I was also on the transatlantic crossing as a full fare paying Diamond C&A member and I could not disagree more with the OP. QUANTUM was awesome and being the first to experience this amazing ship, even with the technology issues, was something I will always remember. My full review is forthcoming, but I feel the need to point out a few things from my perspective. I felt the dining experience was the BEST I've ever experienced on Royal Caribbean bar none. Lets face it RCI was not going to win any awards for their MDR food the past few years. Not horrible but nothing memorable either. I'm now a huge fan of Dynamic Dining and I loved the four included dining venues. The attention to detail, more intimate atmosphere, theming, menus, presentation, and quality were all the best I've ever had on Royal Caribbean. I honestly felt like I was dining in a fee-based speciality restaurant every night.

Having also been on NORWEGIAN EPIC, although not the maiden voyage, this crossing on QUANTUM was far superior in every way. The ships don't compare. QUANTUM is innovation and quality where as EPIC is a one-off abberation that NCL will not repeat. Huge differences all around.

Were there technology issues? Absolutely. Did Royal Caribbean address them? Absolutely. For the record every passenger onboard received a $150 onboard credit plus a 25% credit off the fare paid to be used on a future RCI cruise. In addition all drinks and speciality restaurants were free the first day onboard. Lastly all internet packages were refunded on the last day for every passenger and there were free pay-per-view movies in cabins. I used my $180 unlimited internet package extensively throughout the cruise with relatively few issues (even uploading lots of photos to FB) and what a nice surprise it was all free in the end. In addition little inaugural gifts were left in the cabin each night. A backpack, inaugural book, art book, lanyard, tote bag, etc. All in all I feel Royal Caribbean went above and beyond to try to make up for some of the shortcomings of the crossing. I will also point out that this was the maiden voyage with the ship delivered just six days prior, and ANYONE booking a maiden voyage on any ship from any cruise line should know it's going to be far from perfect. This is just the way it is whether right or wrong. The shipyards always have a timeline that cuts it too close in order to be competitive and win the building bid and that is not going to change. This being said, this particular cruise was exceptionally cheap ($599 for a balcony for 8 days on a brand new ship) then factor in the free internet, $150 onboard credit, 25% credit for future cruise, free gifts, and it was quite the bargain. Also being Diamond I had a LOT of free drinks. During the period of 5:30-8:30 each evening you could go to just about any bar, show your SeaPass card that indicated you're a Diamond member, and your drink was free no questions asked. They never even ran the card. Just another little benefit that kept my shipboard account to lowest its probably been in 100+ cruises.

Lastly the OP states he/she is going to consider HAL and Cunard. Go for it! I sail both lines extensively and can tell you HAL has one of the worst past passenger programs in the industry and is nothing compared to the C&A society in terms of recognition or benefits. Both Cunard and HAL have been "dumbed down" in recent years and the loyalists at both lines are none too happy about many of the changes. My point is that grass is not always greener. The industry as a whole is evolving and changing and this goes for every single cruise line. You can go with it or find another type of vacation that better suits you. One thing is for certain, cruises have never been cheaper or a better value. I've been sailing for over 30+ years now and I pay less today for a 7-day cruise on a brand new state of the art ship than I did in the mid-80's for an old conversion cruise ship.

Regarding selling Royal Caribbean stock, again go for it. With Royal Caribbean you have doubled your money over that past year. The stock has been soaring and the company is doing a lot right and has the confidence of Wall Street. The same is not even remotely true of Carnival which has been flat and the company riddled with disasters and customer service failures. Do your research.

I'm sorry the OP felt QUANTUM was a failure. I respect everyone's right to an opinion but from my perspective I had a very different experience, and so did those I was traveling with. Also for the record I'm not any kind of Royal Caribbean cheerleader. I sail on all the lines from Carnival to Silversea and I'm not loyal to any one of them.

Edited by eroller

They couldn't have cancelled it.

But they could have tested their technology systems, and the bloody thermostats that got stuck on 71,2 and wouldn't cool to that temperature anyway. They could have used old systems where they could, things that were tested, minimize the confusion and chaos.

Too many changes at once when it comes to technology is a sure fire recipe for disaster. Just look at all the headaches people had with booking the bloody restaurants ahead of time... it is pure incompetency to run your technology like this.

Changes need to evolutionary, not revolutionary. This has happened to every company that has introduced so many changes at once.

In addition all drinks and speciality restaurants were free the first day onboard.

The free drinks were until 5pm (not announced guests just found out by accident at bars) then because we were delayed because of all the luggage still sitting on the dock, the drinks were free until 9pm. Their computer system was down so they had no choice but to give free drinks...they were not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Specialty restaurants were not free for everyone. You make it sound like they were, that is simply not true.

I have done Royal Caribbean Maiden Voyages before, Oasis & Allure and they did not have anywhere near the glitches and problems and safety issues that 11/2 Maiden Voyage had.

The free drinks were until 5pm (not announced guests just found out by accident at bars) then because we were delayed because of all the luggage still sitting on the dock, the drinks were free until 9pm. Their computer system was down so they had no choice but to give free drinks...they were not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Specialty restaurants were not free for everyone. You make it sound like they were, that is simply not true.

I have done Royal Caribbean Maiden Voyages before, Oasis & Allure and they did not have anywhere near the glitches and problems and safety issues that 11/2 Maiden Voyage had.

I had free drinks all night the first night and so did my friends. Also I don't know of anyone that paid for the speciality restaurants the first night as we certainly didn't. As you stated yourself the system was down. Whether it was because of the system being down or the goodness of RCI's heart, I really don't care as the end result was that it was free. If they wanted they could have done manual charge receipts for everything and entered them later when the system was up, but they didn't.

OASIS and ALLURE deadheaded to FLL and that is the difference. They were not delivered 6 days prior to the first paying guest. Obviously that provides a lot more time for the kinks to be worked out. Most cruise companies don't do that but in the past RCI has and they may continue to do so moving forward. Time will tell. Having done other maiden voyages with other cruise lines the problems I encountered on QUANTUM were minimal to what I have experienced in the past. Plumbing worked, there were no blackouts, and sanitary conditions were upheld. Even worse is a ship right out of dry-dock. Rarely is it completed and generally there are lots of issues with plumbing.

Edited by eroller

Wow, what an unhappy review.

Does it cause me to re-think my upcoming QN cruises on Dec. 1 and Dec. 12….ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I have read almost everything written before the QN went into service as well as that which was posted by guests during the crossing. I have view almost every picture posted. With that information I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO CRUISING ON THE QN.

Furthermore, I'm more motivated to book the next Royal Caribbean maiden voyage because I wouldn't mind glitches on a spanking new, just delivered ship…I would expect them to happen.

I guess it just boils down to the way a person looks at life.

14K ++++ per person?

We are on 39 days of this repo and we have spent nowhere near half that amount. Many who booked right at release paid less than we did.

I have read both the negative and positive reviews and understand peoples opinions. As we are flexible and go with the flow the positive reviews look to be from those with similar attitudes while the negative come from more "traditional" cruise customers who enjoy the tried and true (for them) routines.

As I recall, the $14K was for a Junior or Grand Suite, for the full voyage to China.