Status Guaranteed?????

brentconn

We were originally booked on the Ruby Princess for January 3rd, 2015. We had a deck and cabin picked and assigned to us. Then we realized my wife had conflicting schedules and asked our TA to change it to the 24th. She did this with no problem but we think she forgot to get the same cabin. Our Cruiser Personalizer says "Status: Guaranteed". We didn't think much of it at the time but after they got their final payment there was still no cabin assignment. I called Princess and they said we probably won't get our cabin assignment until a week away. This is puzzling because they are still selling cabins. Are we getting the leftovers? Princess assured me that we will get the best possible cabin. I don't even know what that means. Can someone please tell me their experience with this?

Thanks,

Brent

The cabin you wanted was probably not available on the new sailing. Since she had to cancel and re-book you on the later cruise, prices would be different. Early January is usually much cheaper than later in January so for the price, I'm guessing she could only get you a GTY.

With a GTY, you are guaranteed a cabin in the category you booked or better. It could be anywhere on the ship and you could be assigned any time from now until you arrive at the pier.

Just out of curiosity, I just called Princess to see if I could reserve an OF cabin for the 24th cruise. I COULD NOT! SOLD OUT. :rolleyes:

I did a quick search on the Princess site, and insides are sold out, outsides are limited to OW obstructeds. There is, however, a decent selection of "choose your own" balconies still available if the uncertainty of a OF guarantee would make upgrading worth it to you.

Too bad your TA didn't make the switch to a guarantee clearer to you.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I did a quick search on the Princess site, and insides are sold out, outsides are limited to OW obstructeds. There is, however, a decent selection of "choose your own" balconies still available if the uncertainty of a OF guarantee would make upgrading worth it to you.

Too bad your TA didn't make the switch to a guarantee clearer to you.

we booked a cruise years ago from a b&m shop and the TA didnt know what a guarantee was so we only made the one booking with them

We usually book GTY and often we have been upgraded (one time it was to a suite). About 2 or 3 weeks before sailing Princess starts assigning GTYs and in some cases upgrades. I'm not sure what the algorithm is but they seem to move GTYs (and sometimes even passengers that have chosen cabins) up. Occasionally the ship will get overbooked and then they will ask passengers to move to another sailing (sort of like the airlines do).

I'm not sure what the algorithm is but they seem to move GTYs (and sometimes even passengers that have chosen cabins) up.

To echo another thread here, nobody except the Upgrade Fairy knows how upgrades are doled out. Yes, the theory is that guarantees get significant upgrades more often than specific-cabin bookings (e.g., not just being moved up a peg or two in the same overall category), but AFAIK, there's no empirical evidence to that effect.

Those who book GTYs with the expectation of getting something much better are oft doomed to disappointment. Only book what you'll be satisfied with.

We have had very good luck booking guarantee. Sometimes we don't know our cabin number until we get to the ship. Most of the time it's an upgrade within a grade, but sometimes it's a two or three category upgrade. It seems the longer you wait for an assignment the better the cabin