Heading to Brazil 49 days Inoculations

Howasaur

We have both been to the doctor got ours results back from the lab. I was low Hep B my wife was low Hep A. We then went to the government Travel clinic where we showed our itinerary. She then listed off the inoculations we should have and are required for the regions we would be traveling in. We had our Yellow Fever shot in 2011 good for ten years. I got a Hep B shot , my wife Hep A., Influenza, Tetanus,measles and of course the malaria pills (Malarone) take a pill one day before entering the Amazon and then continue on taking them till you run out. We had the pills you take each day and had no problems on our previous tripr up the Amazon . Got our Trave & Medical insurance to cover both us. We are set to go

The travel clinic also mentioned insect repellent with DEET.

does anyone know how long the "Twinex" shots is good for? I might the spelling wrong.

Look at this link:

http://www.gsk.ca/english/docs-pdf/product-monographs/Twinrix.pdf

If I read it correctly, it is good for 15 years in Adults and 10 years in infants, children and adolescents. It also depends on what was being protected.

Thanks PathfinderEss: I like to make sure that we are both covered Insurance wise you just never know. We went to the Amazon in 2011 on the Prinsendam so we already have our Brazil Visa which is good till 2016 On this cruise we have booked the Samba Parade on Feb 16th in Rio and Boi Bumba Festival in Parinitins My wife wanted to get some use from that brazil Visa.

The Boi Bomba show is NOT TO BE MISSED! Almost choked at the price but as not much else to do in Parinitins and it was highly recommended by fellow passengers, we went - twice. We were amazed at the Amazonian region and also wanted to get the most out of our Brazilian visas! Then on the next cruise, we went to the factory where they make and store the costumes for the annual festival.

Only yellow fever should be required but do bring good bug spray - we bring the OFF wipes as more convenient to carry and we can reapply as needed.

Have a marvelous trip!

We were told by the onboard Brazilian expert malaria meds are NOT needed for Visitors to the Amazon. This was on Oceania, the onboard expert has spent a significant amount of his adult life in Brazil and he has never been near the danger zones. Malaria is a concern deep deep in the jungle where access is strictly limited, tourists do not get anywhere near the primal forest.

We had already decided not to take the meds, after reviewing scientific literature and visiting a travel clinic. Very few passengers were taking the malaria meds. We did take the yellow fever injections, the only pain was to the wallet.

Hi sammiedawg I here what you are saying and I understand. We were advised by the Alberta Travel Clinic that the region of Amazon is in the malaria zone. We had been there before took the bills and sprayed Deet and I can honestly say I didn't see one Mosquito. But I would error on the side of caution and be safe. I release it costs a bit for the shots but I want to be safe and healthy for my grandchildren. also if either of use come down sick after the trip our doctor can verify what shots we had and make the proper diagnosis.we are so looking forward to this trip. and seeing the Amazon again.

We did the 49 day earlier this year. All that is required is the Yellow Fever Shot and that was only required on Devil's Island!

Have a great trip--it was fabulous.

Mary Lou

The Yellow Fever shot is no longer required for Devil's Island. There are no required immunizations at this time for the 49 trip....only some that are recommended.

Edited by Riversedge
Spelling

Hi Riversedge Our Travel clinic said the immunizations we received were recommended and we both discussed before going and knew there were NO Madatory Immunizations require for this 49 day cruise, not like the cruise back in 2011 which was the Yellow Fever shot which we got. We are new Grandparents and just didn't want to take any risks. I also realized the costs of these shot and percripition for Malaria pill wasn't cheap.