Tuxedo for 9y/o=Success!!!!

sjb.illinois

Hi - I just wanted to share my experience finding a tux for my 9 year old son. For his second cruise, which will be in December, my son declared he wanted to wear a tux so he could be extra fancy. Pricing new tuxes, there was no way I was going to pay retail at Macy's, etc., for something he would wear MAYBE two times - more likely just once though, before he outgrows it. So I went on eBay hoping to find a used one, and was able to find a brand new 5-piece set for under $30. It's obviously not fabulous quality - but it's definitely fine for the little man for the cruise. He's thrilled - and my wallet is happy. Just wanted to pass it on!!!

I strongly second this. My son was able to wear his $30 tuxedo several times before he outgrew it. He swam in it to begin with, but still looked ridiculously cute. The cost is the shoes, since we wound up buying at least 3 different pairs over a couple of years. We did regular black dress shoes, so he'd at least have a chance to wear them otherwise, but the shoes are as typically much as the whole tuxedo.

In the end, my wife sold the tux at a consignment sale for almost as much as we paid. ;) Since then my son has been asking when we'll get him a new one. :D

If you do prefer to try before you buy, Burlington coat factory has some good deals also. Nice formal outfits, as well as tuxedos by the piece. I think they were around $60, but if you want to try it first or have a child that is tough to fit with a single size, another option to try.