interesting QM2 refit info (if its true?)

melb1988

Friends of mine recently off QM2 have told me that an interesting conversation took place in Churchill's between themselves & the barman servicing the room.

The topic of what happens to the staff when the ship is in dry dock was brought up which led to discussions of Refit. The barman said there had been talk of trying to schedual a dry docking sometime before the next world voyage as there are quite a few things Cunard would like to attend to but this is now looking very unlikely, but current whispers were that cunard will shortly be carrying out adjustments during a cruise and the changing some of the stateroom fittings was mentioned?

From what they recall plumbing and flooring were also mentioned.

Is this just "Chinese whispers" amongst the crew is now the real question? I really hope not! most of us here have been saying for months now that cunard should really address some of the issues that the QM2 seems to currently have.

Im interested in the stateroom comment. Does this mean the installation of Flat screen TV's on the cabin walls like the QE? and does this mean those awful tattered Britannia stateroom couches are finally getting thrown overboard and replaced!?

Has anyone else heard anything?

What we do know is that there was a "hole" in QM2's schedule for November 2015 but that has now been filled. Statements from those who had been on the Behind the Scenes Tour prior to that spoke of a complete gutting of Kings Court among other things.

She will have to go into drydock in 2016 as it will have been 5 years since her last one in 2011. The ship's designer had mentioned that Carnival was moving toward a 5-year dry docking schedule for its entire fleet. I didn't bring up the subject during the tour last month because 1) the crew members on board don't make the decisions, 2) it's two years away, and 3) a lot of them are probably pissed that it's two years away.

Cunard may indeed be planning some repairs while the ship is underway. It's a common thing for cruise lines to do this but they don't like to take revenue staterooms off the market to accommodate the workers. The alternative however is to take the whole ship off the market.

Prior to actually going into the 2011 drydock carpet replacement began in some staterooms. Her exterior lighting was replaced while underway. And most recently the Grand Lobby ceiling was repaired while underway. I don't however know how they would address the soft spots in front of the B stair elevators as that is right in front of Britannia.

Edited by BlueRiband

I have been on QV when they replaced carpet along deck 2. It was done at night so most passengers did not notice the work. It was just that I noticed some carpet looking much newer, and asked about it. From then on I kept an eye open to see how far the work had progressed.

I have been on QV when they replaced carpet along deck 2. It was done at night so most passengers did not notice the work. It was just that I noticed some carpet looking much newer, and asked about it. From then on I kept an eye open to see how far the work had progressed.

The carpet was replaced in the QV QG restaurant this year. The only reason we noticed was because the pattern around the edge wasn't the same as the old carpet and the replacement was done over two nights so we noticed the difference.

The carpet seemed more lush but that might have been my imagination as there seemed nothing wrong with the old one.

As an ex carpet fitter in an age long long ago I can say replacing a section of carpet is very do-able in just a few hours.

But isn't the problem the sink holes? I guess the insulation / padding under the carpet needs to be repaired or completely replaced. That could be another story altogether, though just repairing the hole locally could be a temporary solution.

David.

I do think that Cunard will make the effort to get a lot of the issues fixed mid cruise prior to the next world voyage. I'm definitely no expert but the general complaints I read on these forums about the state of the QM2 could be fixed during a voyage, as mentioned even at night. I do remember reading here that they started laying carpet in the cabins during a voyage prior or post the last refit, I'm sure it doesn't inconvience the passengers too much. I personally would not object to a knock at the door asking if they could replace my britannia couch and place a TV on the wall.. I'd actually be excited :) but that's just me, things like that don't bother me, even if I had to leave the cabin for an hour just say.

But naturally things like gutting kings court would have to be not during a voyage. I'm not sure about the pot holes, again no expert but I assume they could be fixed mid voyage as long as it didn't mean entire corridors would be out of action during the voyage which would be an inconvience.. But perhaps over night work could solve this?

I've always wondered how they would go about replacing the couch when the time comes. I don't see how it would fit through the cabin doorway and then make the turn to take it down the hallway. Then they would have to do the same to get the new couch in. Maybe they come apart and can be assembled in place?

I do think that Cunard will make the effort to get a lot of the issues fixed mid cruise prior to the next world voyage. I'm definitely no expert but the general complaints I read on these forums about the state of the QM2 could be fixed during a voyage, as mentioned even at night. I do remember reading here that they started laying carpet in the cabins during a voyage prior or post the last refit, I'm sure it doesn't inconvience the passengers too much. I personally would not object to a knock at the door asking if they could replace my britannia couch and place a TV on the wall.. I'd actually be excited :) but that's just me, things like that don't bother me, even if I had to leave the cabin for an hour just say.

But naturally things like gutting kings court would have to be not during a voyage. I'm not sure about the pot holes, again no expert but I assume they could be fixed mid voyage as long as it didn't mean entire corridors would be out of action during the voyage which would be an inconvience.. But perhaps over night work could solve this?

I'd be more than happy to be moved to a Suite whilst they upgraded my interior cabin:D. I think I might just suggest it to them when I'm onboard the QM2 in December!!!!!!

I've always wondered how they would go about replacing the couch when the time comes. I don't see how it would fit through the cabin doorway and then make the turn to take it down the hallway. Then they would have to do the same to get the new couch in. Maybe they come apart and can be assembled in place?

Perhaps they just throw the old ones over the balcony? ;)

(For those who don't get the British humour: only joking!)

Having seen the new tv's hung on the wall on the Elizabeth they do look far better than the little one's on the Mary and could well be done while in port or at sea.

They look fantastic! Really does bring the cabin up to modern standards! Hope they do do it soon!