Sushi?

suegrape

We never saw sushi at the buffet, MDR or on the menu of the speciality restaurants. There is no Asian themed restaurant on this Italian ship. The speciality restaurants were quite empty on our October sailing, perhaps because the food was better than average in the MDR and the buffet.

We did not sail yacht club, so I cannot comment.

Surprisingly, I nearly always really enjoy the ethnic and Indian dishes at buffets on cruises. On The Divina, it was, IMHO, the only low point of the offerings. Luckily, there were many other very good choices. Do not miss the porchetta. Flat out best porchetta I've EVER tasted, even in restaurants in Italy and in the home of real Italian grandma's. Pizza is excellent, especially for a cruise ship. And try the spicy salami.

Edited by jkgourmet

We never saw sushi at the buffet, MDR or on the menu of the speciality restaurants. There is no Asian themed restaurant on this Italian ship. The speciality restaurants were quite empty on our October sailing, perhaps because the food was better than average in the MDR and the buffet.

We did not sail yacht club, so I cannot comment.

Surprisingly, I nearly always really enjoy the ethnic and Indian dishes at buffets on cruises. On The Divina, it was, IMHO, the only low point of the offerings. Luckily, there were many other very good choices. Do not miss the porchetta. Flat out best porchetta I've EVER tasted, even in restaurants in Italy and in the home of real Italian grandma's. Pizza is excellent, especially for a cruise ship. And try the spicy salami.

I agree with 100000% on the food:) Especially the ethnic selections, although small, what I had was fantastic!

I agree with 100000% on the food:) Especially the ethnic selections, although small, what I had was fantastic!

I'm sorry, you've misunderstood. Contrary to our other cruises, We found the ethnic (Indian, Filapeno, Chinese) buffet items to be the WORST items on the buffet.

The OTHER stuff was an unexpected pleasure to eat, especially those specific items mentioned above. In fact, all of the carved meats were better than most of what we've experienced at cruise buffets.

I'm sorry, you've misunderstood. Contrary to our other cruises, We found the ethnic (Indian, Filapeno, Chinese) buffet items to be the WORST items on the buffet.

The OTHER stuff was an unexpected pleasure to eat, especially those specific items mentioned above. In fact, all of the carved meats were better than most of what we've experienced at cruise buffets.

Hehehe. Definately miss read that one:) sorry about that!!

No worries! Food is so entirely subjective anyway! 😆

It certainly is - but I have to agree with you regarding the ethnic section on MSC buffets. I'd only seen positive comments about it before and wondered what is was I wasn't seeing! :rolleyes:

It certainly is - but I have to agree with you regarding the ethnic section on MSC buffets. I'd only seen positive comments about it before and wondered what is was I wasn't seeing! :rolleyes:

We just kind of figured that many of the passengers who enjoyed the ethnic section choices don't eat proper Indian, etc food very often. We get Asian (Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese) at least once a week, and Indian or Japanese at least monthly. We've visited many SE Asian countries where we eat like locals. I would think that puts our ethnic foodie expectations on a higher basis than others.

No matter. There was plenty of very good food on The Divina. We were pleasantly surprised.

Just off the Divina, second cruise. I've never seen sushi in the MDRs, Eataly's Ristorante Italia, or the buffet.

I like the ethnic corner, mainly because there is one local Indian restaurant with extremely limited hours. That said, I complete agree with the salami, pancetta, and other meats being incredible. My husband had raved about them to our boys, and we found our older one kept going to the buffet for pizza and salami (he's our picky eater).

I'm one of those that likes the Ethnic Corner on the few occasions that I go to the buffet. That said they are not as hot as I'd normally order but understand it has been dampened down a bit to suit the masses. Perhaps the Divina's ethnic offerings have been altered to try to,suit US tastes? Who knows as I'm not going to be sailing the Fivina in the Us but in Europe so can't report on whether it is the same as the usual or different.