Have you ever taken just some of the kids?

We just returned from a family cruise on the Explorer with hubby, myself, and the 5 kids exactly 2 weeks ago today. We noticed that Quantum is only offering the sampler cruises next week - and I wanted to check out the newest ship. I was thinking of taking my daughter with me (who is 10) on the 3 night sampler. We have a next cruise certificate, which would make just the two of us only $300 for the three days. It's so reasonable, and also since it's Quantum I really want to check it out. The dillema is that hubby says it's not fair to the other children (mostly the older two 13 and 12 - the other ones are younger and wouldn't really appreciate it). I told him that it would be part of her Christmas gifts, but he didn't really buy it.

So my question - has anyone just gone on a lone vacation with one child, or is that cruel and unusual? :( I thought a couple day mommy/daughter thing would be pretty neat but I don't want my other kids to have to go through therapy one day over it LOL.

We just returned from a family cruise on the Explorer with hubby, myself, and the 5 kids exactly 2 weeks ago today. We noticed that Quantum is only offering the sampler cruises next week - and I wanted to check out the newest ship. I was thinking of taking my daughter with me (who is 10) on the 3 night sampler. We have a next cruise certificate, which would make just the two of us only $300 for the three days. It's so reasonable, and also since it's Quantum I really want to check it out. The dillema is that hubby says it's not fair to the other children (mostly the older two 13 and 12 - the other ones are younger and wouldn't really appreciate it). I told him that it would be part of her Christmas gifts, but he didn't really buy it.

So my question - has anyone just gone on a lone vacation with one child, or is that cruel and unusual? :( I thought a couple day mommy/daughter thing would be pretty neat but I don't want my other kids to have to go through therapy one day over it LOL.

I have not done this myself, but think of doing it all the time.

We have 6 kids! Anything past 2 or 3 and people think you are crazy and weird. Which could be true on any given day depending on the moods of the combined kids. :p

Anyhow, we have been wanting to take our kids or a few of them with us on a cruise. We have debated taking just 1 or just 2 kids with us, but choosing would be so very very hard.

We just booked a cruise for all the family (parents + 6 kids) and are looking forward to it. But I think I may see a cruise with a handful of kids in my future...

You will have to let me know how it goes if you decide on it.

I have not done this myself, but think of doing it all the time.

We have 6 kids! Anything past 2 or 3 and people think you are crazy and weird. Which could be true on any given day depending on the moods of the combined kids. :p

Anyhow, we have been wanting to take our kids or a few of them with us on a cruise. We have debated taking just 1 or just 2 kids with us, but choosing would be so very very hard.

We just booked a cruise for all the family (parents + 6 kids) and are looking forward to it. But I think I may see a cruise with a handful of kids in my future...

You will have to let me know how it goes if you decide on it.

Oh wow, 6 kids! So yeah, you know how it is! :) - I'm still very much debating, but I really haven't sold hubby on it. My 12 year old had open heart last year and got to make a wish, so we went to Hawaii so I feel that trip was all his (as it should be). And my oldest races, so my hubby invests a lot of time and effort into all that, but my daughter she's the middle child - quiet, good student, doesn't do much - and I feel like it would be neat for her. Thanks for your reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nobody on this website knows your family dynamics.

So asking complete strangers that have never met you, cannot really help you decide.

Go with your own instincts.

Or pick your favorite child.......

Edited by matj2000

We have never taken just one child on a cruise, but I would do so in a heartbeat if the circumstances were right. My husband took each of our sons on separate trips for their "golden birthdays". Neither of them even thought about claiming that it wasn't fair or compared trips. They were both made to feel special individually and treasured that alone time with their dad.

Having said that, IMO, it will only work if you and your husband are 100% on the same page. If he thinks it is unfair, you can bet your boys will pick up on that and claim abuse. :)

If my parents took just one of my siblings, I would be hurt. Unless it was some master plan where each child gets their own vacation with mom or dad. Otherwise, I would use it against my sibling in the future and leverage 😄 for 'who' will eventually be forced to take of mom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have actually done this. Circumstances were a little different. My daughter was turning 16. We really wanted to take a short cruise in the Spring and my son was just starting his traveling baseball schedule and was finishing some basketball, so we took our daughter and her best friend. Son, thought it was a "cool" thing for his sister.

I think it is nice to have different experiences with each child all by themselves. I only have 2, so maybe that makes it easier???

I took my oldest of 3 kids on a mommy and me bonding cruise. It was a blast. The younger siblings didn't care and we have explained that they will get solo trips over time. We have also explained that life isn't always fair and sometimes our resources won't be evenly spread amongst them because needs fluctuate. We still love them all equally and over time will try to make sure they all have what they need. That effort may show up as special trips once in a while. I also know an fabulous father of six who cruised with one son and went to Europe with one daughter and I am sure he or his wife will have special trips with each. If your husband spends a lot of time on activities with one child I would think it would be nice for you to get to spend some extra time with your daughter. Just my two cents.

unless you have a long standing tradition taking EACH child on a solo vacation, then yes this is unfair.

I have friends with 5 kids. they take 2 large family vacations a year with everyone ,and short weekend trips with one child and one parent throughout. this year they changed that just a smidgen.. 3 of their five are adopted from China and a few weeks ago he and dad went to China alone for a week. the other two will follow when they hit the same age.

I do plan on taking the kids on their own trips eventually, however I was waiting until they were a little older. My oldest will go to Germany with me, the next wants to go to Iceland....etc. I really want them to be 14/15 to fully enjoy the experience though.

I think the previous poster hit the nail on the head best - if my husband isn't fully vested the boys will hold it over my head forever! I'm going to talk with him again this morning, and make a decision. Thanks everyone for all your input! 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If my parents took just one of my siblings, I would be hurt. Unless it was some master plan where each child gets their own vacation with mom or dad. Otherwise, I would use it against my sibling in the future and leverage 😄 for 'who' will eventually be forced to take of mom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A bit of a twist to the scenario. We are the grandparents of 3. We took 1 of the 3 with us on a Disney Cruise. The trip was from Canada to Miami then, 5 days in the Carribean.

The reason we did not take all 3 grands is that our Daughter-in-law of the other 2 was not comfortable with the girls going.

We understood her feelings and felt comfortable going ahead with taking our grandson. Maybe, one day she will feel comfortable.

I'd be remiss if I didn't add that when we returned I did have the thought; What were we thinking! the responsibility was undaunting.

Edited by evelyn51