POA Cost!

mufc99

I haven't seen any other cruise line so determined to stick it to those who book early.

How so? Name any cruise line which will allow you to change your contracted fare AFTER final payment? Up until final, you can call for any promotion/fare which is better than what you booked. Price drops after final are designed to fill the remaining cabins on the ship prior to sailing, not to allow everyone on the ship to adjust their cruise fares.

We booked way over a year out for out POA cruise, and prices only went up, not down, for our cabin between then and the date we sailed.

Fayerussel, it might be worth a call to see if they will upgrade you. We have done this after final. They will sometimes do free upgrades with price drops after final or for very little. We were able to go from a mini to a corner aft penthouse for $80 PP once after final when prices dropped.

Right now there is an excellent sale, Friends and Family Sail Free, which offers significant savings, and the past two days you could have had Free Drinks, Free Specialty and OBC as well, but only for two days. Anyone who is before final payment date can call and take advantage.

How so? Name any cruise line which will allow you to change your contracted fare AFTER final payment? Up until final, you can call for any promotion/fare which is better than what you booked. Price drops after final are designed to fill the remaining cabins on the ship prior to sailing, not to allow everyone on the ship to adjust their cruise fares.

I'm not talking about changing your contract after final payment. I've been following POA prices for the past 4 months and I've noticed that prices consistently drop sharply once it gets about 2 months prior to the sailing date. I don't fault Norwegian for trying to fill cabins but maybe the reason they have so many unsold cabins two months out is that their prices are too high and folks don't think the POA is a good value at such prices. Let's face it Norwegian ships are not exactly at Crystal, or even Celebrity level. Someone on this thread mentioned that the POA was like a "floating Motel 6". But the usual prices for the POA are something you'd expect for a "floating Ritz Carlton".

I'm not talking about changing your contract after final payment. I've been following POA prices for the past 4 months and I've noticed that prices consistently drop sharply once it gets about 2 months prior to the sailing date. I don't fault Norwegian for trying to fill cabins but maybe the reason they have so many unsold cabins two months out is that their prices are too high and folks don't think the POA is a good value at such prices. Let's face it Norwegian ships are not exactly at Crystal, or even Celebrity level. Someone on this thread mentioned that the POA was like a "floating Motel 6". But the usual prices for the POA are something you'd expect for a "floating Ritz Carlton".

While I won't try to compare the cost of POA to a shore based vacation, the following example holds some merit even there.

Crystal and Celebrity do not have to front up about $8-10,000 per employee just to get that employee to the ship for his/her first contract, while the POA does. Crystal and Celebrity crew members are not allowed to just walk off the ship prior to completion of their contracts, while a US citizen aboard a US flag ship in a US port can do just that, for no reason at all. Competition from the foreign flag ships operating from the West Coast continues to hold POA's cabin prices down, and contrary to most peoples' perceptions, NCL is not making a killing on the POA, it continues to be a profitable operation, but not one that is a major profit center for the company.

NCL sets the cabin prices originally at the level where they would make a "traditional" profit for a foreign flag ship. As with all lines and ships, if the demand is not great enough, prices will drop the closer to sailing. Most cruise lines do not make any money on the ticket price, it just covers the overhead, and the profit is in onboard revenue, which is why they try to fill the ship.

Yes, we have a March cruise and our balcony cabin is almost $1200 less than what we paid. Chance you take but makes me soooooo mad!!!!!! :( Great for the people who waited last minute though. Kinda makes you wonder why you booked so far ahead. Didn't do us any good......

which march cruise? We are on the March 14th POA

POA costs - yes, it's not a cheap cruise! But when you research the cost of hotels on each island, flights to each island, you'll see that it isn't a bad price. I still have issues with having to pay extra for the specialty restaurants, and because of the cost of the cruise, we chose not to visit them. We ended up having 2 meals most days on the ship, so there's a savings as well. And you have the nice convenience of not having to pack up and move to another hotel. For this cruise, you don't utilize the ship as much, since you are there to see the sights, not relax and cruise. In fact I often heard people saying they wished there was at least one day at sea to they could relax from all the excursions and trips on land! As for the quality, I have to agree with many who said that the ship was great! Staff were all friendly and helpful, from the cabin steward, to the officers. We were completely pleased with all the staff. Our cabin was small but we were prepared for that. The public places were well placed and we rarely felt like the ship was crowded. Absolutely loved the cruise and would recommend it to anyone. Just keep checking the prices daily. I did and found a great price about 6 months out, after watching it drop from the first time I started researching. I jumped on it and was glad I did, because it began to climb in price again shortly.

We are on the March 21 sailing. The price difference now is $1700. I have cruised a lot and hve never had that big of a price drop on one of my cruises!!! I called Norwegian and they are supposed to "get back with me".

Did you book through Norwegian? or a travel agent? Would love to know what ncl says to you.

We are on the March 21 sailing. The price difference now is $1700. I have cruised a lot and hve never had that big of a price drop on one of my cruises!!! I called Norwegian and they are supposed to "get back with me".

I am sure they will get back to you--around March 22!:D

Edited by pizzalady1

I am sure they will get back to you--around March 22!:D

After final payment, I have gotten upgraded to a suite for very little, and then, when prices dropped again, I called back and was granted more OBC. Not the full amount of the price drop, but significant. I was very happy with what I ended up with for the price that I paid. I have found that those who ask, very often get. No guarantees you will be offered anything. But everyone should monitor for price drops and promos which will benefit them prior to final. You can always cancel and rebook for the new rate, promo, if it is to your benefit. After final, no guarantees. NCL will do what they can to offer free upgrades, cheap upsells or sometimes OBCs to those who call to ask.

I booked with ncl. They just called me back. I am currently booked in a cat BB midship balcony. They said could upgrade me to an aft balcony at no charge. Does this sound good with a $1700 difference??

Not sure what to tell you, because I honestly do not know. Maybe you should post the question on the main Ncl boards. Everyone raves about the aft balconies and the POA ones do run higher in price. It is a longer walk to some things. but maybe worth it. I just looked at our cruise and it is down another $100 per person. Not real happy about that, but real happy about going to Hawaii in 40 days

I booked with ncl. They just called me back. I am currently booked in a cat BB midship balcony. They said could upgrade me to an aft balcony at no charge. Does this sound good with a $1700 difference??

I think that if NCL is offering an aft balcony at no charge, that is better than staying in your BB cabin and stewing. However, without knowing what you actually paid, I would talk to them about upgrading you to an SF penthouse balcony if it is less than or equal to what you paid. All they can say in no.

If someone were booking today, the price difference to go to a B1 from a BB is $340 pp/$680 for two. ( base price with no taxes or fees added. ). I checked a date in September, and the price difference is the same. It's not the full $1,700 difference, but it is something. There may not be any suites left on the ship. I would take it if it were me, but I love the aft views. We had a B1 on this ship and it was great for the Na Pali sail by, but your mid ship locations is good too, just depends on what you want.

You are still several weeks out. Prices may drop some more. You could just wait and see what the offer is if that happens. But that is gambling on their still being good cabins left.

By the way, anyone know what is going on for the week of September 19 this year in Hawaii? When I was checking the B1 pricing I noticed that all categories were SOLD OUT except for insides and ocean views on that sailing. Not a single balcony or suite available. Weird.

Edited by punkincc

If someone were booking today, the price difference to go to a B1 from a BB is $340 pp/$680 for two. ( base price with no taxes or fees added. ). I checked a date in September, and the price difference is the same. It's not the full $1,700 difference, but it is something. There may not be any suites left on the ship. I would take it if it were me, but I love the aft views. We had a B1 on this ship and it was great for the Na Pali sail by, but your mid ship locations is good too, just depends on what you want.

You are still several weeks out. Prices may drop some more. You could just wait and see what the offer is if that happens. But that is gambling on their still being good cabins left.

By the way, anyone know what is going on for the week of September 19 this year in Hawaii? When I was checking the B1 pricing I noticed that all categories were SOLD OUT except for insides and ocean views on that sailing. Not a single balcony or suite available. Weird.

fayerussell is going on March 21 and there are still SF suites available. The price difference from a BB to SF is still less than $1700!

Aussie dollar is dropping big time now, so looks like my plans for Hawaii will be pushed to the back :-(

I book in Feb 2014 for the 27-2-2016 cruise for our anniversary on 29-2-2016. It's only once every four years so we like to do something special but unfortunately they cancelled our cruise. We had to pick another date but got to keep the same price and they gave us US $50 OBC. It just won't feel as special but I didn't want to wait another four years either.

When I booked, it was through the US website so it was in US $. I have been watching the Aussie dollar go down the last few months and as a result our final payment cost go up (used the currency converter app quite a bit lately). I was trying to work out whether we should pay now before the price went up any more or wait and see if the dollar would go back up again. I finally bit the bullet and paid it. Even though the price had gone up quite a bit since I booked it, if I were to cancel and re book it today it would still cost more.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a nice little offer from Qantas today.

Balcony room 10th level, for 2 people, for $2,000 less than, advanced booking.

And that was in Aussie dollars, ignoring the recent big drop in its value against the US$.

That offer was for the last week in April and unfortunately we are booked up then :-(

Gives us hope tho :-)

YAYYYYY!!!! Prices have dropped even more for my March 21st sailing so I called back again. I was upgraded 2 weeks ago from a balcony room to an aft balcony room at no cost. We now just got upgraded from the aft balcony to a penthouse suite at no charge!!!!! So excited!!!!!!!:)

Edited by fayerussell

YAYYYYY!!!! Prices have dropped even more for my March 21st sailing so I called back again. I was upgraded 2 weeks ago from a balcony room to an aft balcony room at no cost. We now just got upgraded from the aft balcony to a penthouse suite at no charge!!!!! So excited!!!!!!!:)

How exciting!!! We're planning to book April 4th. I'm guessing we won't have any such price dropping in such a short time and we're already getting a dirt cheap special rate as long as we book before the special ends! We're going with a large balcony.

~Katy