Reflection 11/8 Western Caribbean - Mostly Awesome!

csgseattle

Previous X cruises:

Alaska 2012 on Infinity and Alaska 2014 on Solstice

Awesomeness:

The Ships Crew

The Specialty Restaurants - Ate at all of them and Qsine twice (we had a HUGE OBC)

Our Aft Sky Suite

Our Butler, Gordon - breakfast on the veranda and afternoon tea! He found out I love oatmeal raisin cookies and left one for me every night!

The Beautiful and Immaculate Ship - although I prefer the Solstice's art collection and Hot Glass Show

All of the people guiding our tours

The Musicians

Bistro on Five

Rescuing Cuban Refugees

Some Disappointments (I realize that some of these things are not under X's control) :

Service issues at the Porch and Lawn Club Grill - under-staffing clearly evident. I prefer having the Hot Glass Show (could be biased as I manage the company that supplies the glass and tools to the ships).

The Port at Montego Bay - no amenities to speak of and very unorganized with people mobbing the shuttles from the little market area back to the ship.

Aggressiveness of the vendors in Labadee - we beat a hasty retreat!

Being told in Blu that suite passengers should come at 6:00 or 8:30 - has anyone else experienced this? I'm sure it wasn't the intent but we were made to feel unwelcome and never returned to Blu. Our meal, tho, was excellent.

The condition of vehicles on our tours in The Caymans and Jamaica - we were on ship sponsored excursions so I would expect that there would not be broken bus seats, and stuffing showing in the upholstery etc. I realize the islands have a different sensibility, but I was taken aback. Are these conditions the norm?

The portion of our "Go Native Jamaica" excursion that took us to a pre-school and had us "observe" the children while they worked in their classroom. Made me distinctly uncomfortable and smacked of white privilege. I didn't mind when they came outside and sang their songs - they were beyond cute, but the gawking at them in the building just didn't feel right to us.

I felt the on board activities to be lacking compared to the Solstice and Infinity. Particularly the on board speaker on this cruise - snore (yes I know this is luck of the draw). This may be a product of the type of itinerary (Hot vs Cold), but seemed sparse compared to the Reflection's activities I've seen posted on CC before. Could be an effect of the cut backs in activity staff.

The Terrible Awful:

Our very unfortunate encounter with two extremely unpleasant individuals in the buffet. Began with me politely asking a person (I will not say gentleman) in a scooter to move, to him trying to back into me with his chair and calling me a b----- , to his brother screaming obscenities at my husband at the top of his lungs for what felt like a full five minutes, to having to make a statement to ships Security. I was shaken and distraught for the rest of the day (Labadee) and was constantly looking over my shoulder for this guy. I will say that the Security personnel were the epitome of professionalism and we really appreciated their calm reassurances.

So, yeah, Mostly Awesome with just a few quibbles. I will continue to cruise X exclusively as I think it is a superior product. I like the understated ship decor and overall sophistication. And I LOVE the smoking policy. YMMV.

glad you had a good trip.

Certainly the policy for Suite guests is that Blu is an option "based on availability". Why have suite guests show up at 7:30 and have to wait for 45 minutes while those in AQ Class are seated first. If the staff was informing you when tables in Blu were likely to be "available", based on their experience, it seems a reasonable thing to say.

Perhaps. I understand the policy and would be perfectly willing to wait, but we were basically told (paraphrasing) Well, we'll seat you now because we have room, but don't come at this time again (it was 8:00). Just felt awkward and unwelcoming to us so we chose not to return.

I'll probably never be fortunate enough to sail in a suite again, but if I do, the new restaurant will be available and all will be right with the world ;-)

We were on the same cruise in Aqua Suite and ate in Aqua five nights, After 715 there were at least 6 to 8 tables empty every night. Leia the Maitre'd was always accommodating. We loved the food and the service in Blu

We (my dd and I) have been in Aqua class on our Alaska cruises and loved Blu. My husband joined us on this one which is why we had a suite. I was excited to share Blu with him and had planned three nights there. I was disappointed with our reception by Leia - as I said, I don't think it was intended to make us feel awkward but it did.

The service and food on the night we did eat there was exceptional and one of my husband's favorite meals of the cruise.

If and when my dd and I cruise again - we will always go Aqua just for Blu...