Another Summit Question

jetboy

I am so excited it is nearly time for me to leave the UK to head to SJ via JFK , with all my new purchases I will be treating myself too while I am in New York!

We board on November 29 and my only worry is my flight on the return which is at 1155 back to JFK.

I am aware we have to go through agricultural checks before security and checking in and the Adventure of the Seas will also be in port that day. Could anyone advise me do you think it's safer for me to do self-embarkation or will I have enough time if I am in one of the first groups off the ship?.

Will take the advise I have read on CC about taking a taxi to the airport but wanted advise from the wise people on CC. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hmmm. If you were not flying internationally, I would say you are almost certain to make it with no issues. Given that you are flying internationally, I would say that ups the risk a bit. There have been some postings about it taking a couple hours to get through the airport check-ins recently at SJU. It can also sometimes take longer than it used to making it through US Customs at the pier as well. You will most likely be ok, but honestly if it were me and I were flying internationally I would do a walk-off. A bit of a hassle but less worry about making the flight.

I would most definitely take a taxi rather than the Celebrity transportation. We have never had issues quickly grabbing a taxi when we cruised out of SJU.

We are also sailing on that cruise. Have you joined our Roll Call yet? (if you have, I apologize for not knowing - I confess I can't keep track of all the names:)). It should be a great cruise - the islands are all great - so looking forward to it!

I think you will be fine if you are in one of the first groupings (or do self disembarkation & drag your luggage if you feel uneasy). And taking a cab to the airport is definitely the way to go.

Sure getting thru San Juan Airport takes a bit of time with the extra steps (line up for Agro - Check In - & Security) ... But you are NOT FLYING INTERNATIONAL on that first leg, it is just a flight to JFK (so I assume you won't be checking your luggage all the way thru, nor will you need the longer check in allowance time ** )

So 11:55 / Noon Flight should be quite do-able

Cheers!

** Please confirm that I have understood your actual arrangements. I am assuming the above because that is how many of us Canadians route back from San Juan... Domestic Flight to Miaimi, then International home from there.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We just got off the Summit on Saturday. Our flight left at 11:30 and we were fine. We were green #4 (I asked for the 8:00 to 8:15 departure), which means the things before us were self-disembarkation (which so everyone is aware was for some reason limited to US citizens only) and then people with Celebrity shore excursions and then early disembarkation (which was open for everyone with flights before 12:30). We were supposed to be in the Celebrity theater at 7:50, we got there at about 7:30 and shortly after they called our number and we were walking off the ship at 7:40 (note they only call your number in your designated location not on the PA system). We walked into the terminal and we were the only ones in there, got out bags right to customs (no line) and into a cab. We got to the airport, there was a bit of a line for the agricultural check, but it moved fast. We were on American and there was a bit of a line for the check in machines, but again it went pretty fast, we dropped off our bags and got into the security line and were sitting at our gate by 8:40. From our experience everything gets a lot busy a little later in the morning, so I was glad we were so early.

If you happen to get into the terminal at the ship and the customs line is long, if you can get a porter, the porter line goes a lot faster, we found it much easier last January and worth the money we tipped the porter.

Edit: I see you are from UK, so for both of the cruises we were just on back to back on the Summit, you could not do the self disembarkation, for some reason it is limited to US Citizens only. I'm not sure why and I didn't ask as I don't like to carry my bags off myself.

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

Hmmm. If you were not flying internationally, I would say you are almost certain to make it with no issues. Given that you are flying internationally, I would say that ups the risk a bit. There have been some postings about it taking a couple hours to get through the airport check-ins recently at SJU. It can also sometimes take longer than it used to making it through US Customs at the pier as well. You will most likely be ok, but honestly if it were me and I were flying internationally I would do a walk-off. A bit of a hassle but less worry about making the flight.

I would most definitely take a taxi rather than the Celebrity transportation. We have never had issues quickly grabbing a taxi when we cruised out of SJU.

We are also sailing on that cruise. Have you joined our Roll Call yet? (if you have, I apologize for not knowing - I confess I can't keep track of all the names:)). It should be a great cruise - the islands are all great - so looking forward to it!

This is definitely NOT an international flight. Puerto Rico is part of the United States!!!!

As suggested by AlbertaCruisers above, if there is a line at customs get a porter to help with your bags. They have a special line which was much faster and they will probably also get you at the front of the taxi line.

It was well worth the tip for the convenience and not having to navigate the que for the taxi.

This is definitely NOT an international flight. Puerto Rico is part of the United States!!!!

UK to head to SJ via JFK , with all my new

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Last heard the UK was an international flight.

Final destination is what counts when checking in at the airport so it is an international flight as far as the OP is concerned.

Last heard the UK was an international flight.

Final destination is what counts when checking in at the airport so it is an international flight as far as the OP is concerned.

Oops. Missed the UK part.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app