Anyone been on both RCCL Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Sunshine? Help please!

rdevine10

I posted on the family board a couple days ago but recieved no response. Anyone been on BOTH ships? thanks!

Trying to figure out what would be a better fit for our family. We have 2 kids who will be 12 & 9 at time of travel. They typically enjoy waterslides and the pools a great deal on our trips (they do not care for the kids clubs on any line).

FOS has the h20 zone (which i am worried might be too young for the 12 year old), flow rider, mini golf, ice skating (which they enjoy but we live on a lake and they do it all winter at home) & a few other things

Sunshine has the waterworks, pools (but I have read they can be more crowded), ropes course, mini golf & several family comedy shows (which we are a huge fan of) a few other things too.

Both are very similar in cost with both being a western route.

FOS goes to Labedee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman & Cozumel

Sunshine goes to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize & Costa Maya.

We like the ports on both routes.

Trying to figure out what would be the best fit for our family. help!!!!

Edited by rdevine10

I posted on the family board a couple days ago but recieved no response. Anyone been on BOTH ships? thanks!

Trying to figure out what would be a better fit for our family. We have 2 kids who will be 12 & 9 at time of travel. They typically enjoy waterslides and the pools a great deal on our trips (they do not care for the kids clubs on any line).

FOS has the h20 zone (which i am worried might be too young for the 12 year old), flow rider, mini golf, ice skating (which they enjoy but we live on a lake and they do it all winter at home) & a few other things

Sunshine has the waterworks, pools (but I have read they can be more crowded), ropes course, mini golf & several family comedy shows (which we are a huge fan of) a few other things too.

Both are very similar in cost with both being a western route.

FOS goes to Labedee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman & Cozumel

Sunshine goes to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize & Costa Maya.

We like the ports on both routes.

Trying to figure out what would be the best fit for our family. help!!!!

H2O Zone on the Freedom would probably be too young for your 12 yr old, but there is also small swimming pool in addition to the splash area which he would enjoy. The flow rider is very popular and all the kids seem to really enjoy it, as well as the rock climbing wall.

We have not been on the Sunshine, but have been on the Freedom 4 times now with another one booked with my grandchildren for June. I love the Freedom and I love the Western ports on Royal much better than I do on Carnival.

As you can see from my signature I sail both lines, but I cannot wait to take my girls on the Freedom in June.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Price being equal, I would pick the Freedom of the Seas. It's 50% larger than the Sunshine (more than 50,000 extra tons, with MUCH better space to passenger ratio), and much newer as well. It's an absolutely beautiful and impressive ship, well designed and with excellent passenger flow. It may not have waterslides like the Sunshine, but the pools are bigger and decks more expansive. Overall, the entire family will have a lot more to do. Your biggest problem may be choosing what to skip since you may not have enough time to do it all!

Oh, and Labadee is absolutely heaven on Earth! Get an overwater cabana in Nellie's Beach! :)

Edited by Tapi

Both ships are really opposite of each other in terms of size, layout and priorities. As an adult I have enjoyed both.

Regarding children and children at heart, the Waterworks on the Sunshine along with the ropes course is a winner in my book. I also prefer the Sunshine's itinerary more.

The FOS does have the wave runner which can be limited because it also gets very busy. I like the ropes course over the wall climbing.

We sailed the Voyager and our kids too preferred carnival.

The ship is huge and I needed a vacation after my vacation. (We had an aft balcony which didnt help with the walking.) we did more walking on the Voyager then i did at Disney.

By the way, did you post your question on the Royal Caribbean board as well? You may get a more balanced set of responses by posting on both cruise lines. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app