Per Child Pricing Done on Ship - Specialty Restaurants

GoofyCrew

We are first time cruisers heading out on the Sun in January. Looking to upgrade to a specialty restaurant the night of my DH birthday. We will have our children along - ages 11 and 7. I see that they eat free from the kids menu but yet, when I try to make reservations, it requires me to pay the same as I am for DH and I. Does the difference get refunded back to you via on-board credit provided that they order from the kids menu? It says 'per child pricing done on the ship'. Thanks in advance.

If they order from the ship-wide children's menu (hot dogs, mac & cheese etc) it will be free.

If they order from the specialty restaurant menu it will be 50% off

and either way it is my understanding that the difference is refunded back as OBC.

Last NCL cruise we took our 5 year old into a few of the "specialty" restaurants where she ate off the regular menu, and they didn't charge for her (we gave the waiters nice tips). Cagney's medium rare filet was a hit, with a side of asparagus. Plus the desserts of course. A 7 year old might slip by too.

We also went to specialty restaurants every night with our 7 year old daughter. She ate off the specialty menu in all of them and we were never charged for her. The only exception was Circque Dinner and Jungle Fantasy which we paid for in full in advance. We were refunded it all as on board credit and only charged half at the show.

We also tipped very well :D

Thank you!

They are not adventurous eaters so they will be more than pleased with the ship-wide children's menu rather than the specialty menu.

I just wanted to make sure that we would get refunded, and how we would get refunded, for the amount paid for the reservation. $15-$20 extra/per meal/per child is too much to pay when they each eat a hot dog. ;)

Last NCL cruise we took our 5 year old into a few of the "specialty" restaurants where she ate off the regular menu, and they didn't charge for her (we gave the waiters nice tips).

Those of you who mentioned that you tipped - I am confused. Isn't that what the $12/per person/day is for? Or is that only for housekeeping and MDR? I don't want to stiff anyone if I am supposed to tip them! :eek: That's why I'd almost rather just have to tip as we go on everything. All of these gray areas and unknowns for first time cruisers to learn the ropes on!

Those of you who mentioned that you tipped - I am confused. Isn't that what the $12/per person/day is for? Or is that only for housekeeping and MDR? I don't want to stiff anyone if I am supposed to tip them! :eek: That's why I'd almost rather just have to tip as we go on everything. All of these gray areas and unknowns for first time cruisers to learn the ropes on!

The $12/pp/pd does include waiters/waitresses in ALL restaurants, specialty or MDR's. We usually give a little extra for over & above service in any restaurant. I know some feel they get better service in the specialty restaurants but we feel that they deserve it in either since MDR staff probably handle almost double the patrons that the specialty staff do so they deserve it, JMHO.

Don't worry about the tipping. You are correct that all restaurant staff, stewards/housekeeping are included in the $12.

Enjoy your cruise. Bon Voyage

The $12/pp/pd does include waiters/waitresses in ALL restaurants, specialty or MDR's. We usually give a little extra for over & above service in any restaurant. I know some feel they get better service in the specialty restaurants but we feel that they deserve it in either since MDR staff probably handle almost double the patrons that the specialty staff do so they deserve it, JMHO.

Don't worry about the tipping. You are correct that all restaurant staff, stewards/housekeeping are included in the $12.

Enjoy your cruise. Bon Voyage

Thank you for clarifying!