airline arrival and departure lounge

newyorkray

As a frequent Celebrity cruiser who usually leaves from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, I usually fly down the day before and leave the motel at noon taking a taxi to the ship. I'm booked on the Reflection (3rd time) for 11/29 but have to fly down the morning of the cruise, arriving at 9AM. I used Celebrity's Cruise Air (Choice Air??) whatever. Does Celebrity pick up luggage at Miami airport? I remember years ago I mistakenly put my Celebrity luggage tags on prior to flight and couldn't find them, Celebrity had already taken them to the ship. Also since becoming "Elite" I have never used the Departure Lounge. Does it open early? Where is it located at the Miami port, before security or after? Before you get you check in and get your seapass? I am figuring we can'r board until about 11:30 so will have about 2 hours to kill. Suggestions?

As a frequent Celebrity cruiser who usually leaves from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, I usually fly down the day before and leave the motel at noon taking a taxi to the ship. I'm booked on the Reflection (3rd time) for 11/29 but have to fly down the morning of the cruise, arriving at 9AM. I used Celebrity's Cruise Air (Choice Air??) whatever. Does Celebrity pick up luggage at Miami airport? I remember years ago I mistakenly put my Celebrity luggage tags on prior to flight and couldn't find them, Celebrity had already taken them to the ship. Also since becoming "Elite" I have never used the Departure Lounge. Does it open early? Where is it located at the Miami port, before security or after? Before you get you check in and get your seapass? I am figuring we can'r board until about 11:30 so will have about 2 hours to kill. Suggestions?

The departure lounge is a perk that many people get confused because of Celebrity's wording on the web site. It refers to leaving the ship at the end of the cruise, not getting on the ship. You will be advised by paperwork in your stateroom where your departure lounge will be depending on your status/and/or cabin category.

My guess would be that Celebrity would only pick up your luggage at the airport if you've booked a transfer from the airport to the port with them. I know they've never picked up my luggage at the airport, nor would I want them to. I like to know that my luggage is in the same city I'm in.

Unfortunately, there's no place to sit in the Miami terminal, so I wouldn't rush over there. Does your airline have a lounge at the airport you can have access to?

My first celebrity cruise was out of MIA Feb 2013 and I booked their transfer to the port.

I was surprised they did not gab my luggage as I was watching other cruise lines do as part of the transfer process. I eventually found a Celebrity rep who told me I had to bring my own luggage to the bus. Now I know.

If you arrive at 9:00, you won't be out of baggage claim till about 10 or so anyway, and if taking the X transfer, you will congregate until they get a full busload of people arriving from multiple flights, then luggage loaded on the bus, then the drive to pier, is 20 minutes or so, then check luggage, you'll likely arrive just as boarding is about to commence anyway.

Celebrity never has picked up our luggage either. And we have booked transfers through them. We've always had to go to baggage claim, grab our bags and give them to those who are taking the bags to the ship.

There is no departure lounge in Miami. It's just a big terminal.

When we fly in early the day of the cruise we typically have a taxi take us to the pier and wait while we drop off our luggage, then have him drop us at a local hotel or restaurant so we can have breakfast (we keep our hand luggage with us). In Miami the InterContinental is near the pier, and the Bayside Marketplace is across from the InterContinental, and also has restaurants.