Tell me your guarantee success/fails

hlb76

Hey all. With this new 35 hour sale it really has me thinking of changing my room to a gty and save about $500.

I love the new price point just scared of the unknown. I did pick our room for a reason. But $500 can make a person think a little.

Three GTY cabins: two were fine and one was spectacular. All three were insides... one was Riviera deck aft, one was Empress mid, and one was a fantastic porthole cabin - free view and free sunlight! :)

My personal thought on GTY - in most cases, I will pick my cabin. For something like the Halloween sale or 35-hour sale, I will definitely let Carnival choose for me and enjoy the mega-savings. My only hesitation would be for an extended cruise (we sometimes do 14-15 night sailings). I would hate to be stuck in a "bad" cabin for that long... but, "bad" is relative to amount saved. ;)

We booked our 3-day on the Sensation during the Halloween sale. Started with an inside Gty, Got forward on Riviera. Wasn't stoked about that, so looked and realized the sale was still going on and that an OV Gty was only $5 more per person, so jumped in to that pool. Got midship Riviera, so went from steerage to steerage with a view. Oh well, it's a three-day. Got the upsell call a couple days ago and switched to a balcony on Empress for $100 total. Probably not the best upsell deal that's ever happened, but we're happy with it.

I have done GTY inside probably 6 times. 5 of the times I have gotten regular inside cabins in good locations. One of the times I did get an obstructed view window overlooking the very front of deck 6 on the Triumph. It was a window but not OV. It did have easy access to a quiet viewing area on deck 6 that almost nobody knows about. That was a good cabin.:cool:

I keep thinking so I "need" to be next to our friends. We are super stoked to be next door. But $500 heals lots of wounds. Though it will be nice to keep the kids next door to each other. Then if we take turns staying in with them its a quick jaunt next door not across the ship.

Pros and cons....

We did a guaranteed balcony on the Magic. We could not choose between a cove balcony and a lido balcony. The cove and guarantee price were about the same so the only way we could go is up. We ended up with a lido balcony 2 doors down from the one I would have chosen. It is as if the rep put my comments in when I could not choose!

We have two cabins booked for our cruise in March-one for us and one for our kids. We could save a lot of money if we switched to this sale, but I am worried that we will end up on opposite sides of the ship. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have two cabins booked for our cruise in March-one for us and one for our kids. We could save a lot of money if we switched to this sale, but I am worried that we will end up on opposite sides of the ship. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just did it today with great results. Had 3 spa cabins booked for Christmas cruise. I could save $2100 by switching to gty (thus losing the spa benefits). 18/20yo in one cabin, 15 yo twins in second, and DH and I in third. Since with a gty, you don't know where you'll be placed, they made us switch one twin with mom, one with dad. A few hrs later, our rooms were assigned. All three rooms on same hallway with a few rooms in between AND $2100 in savings!!

We did a balcony guarantee three times. Once was a good upgrade ( a few decks higher). Two were great - aft wrap balcony and a suite on a 12 day cruise to Hawaii. Love the guarantee category. Currently, we are booked for March but unfortunately cannot do a guarantee as the kids need to be in a cabin nearby.:rolleyes:

I keep thinking so I "need" to be next to our friends. We are super stoked to be next door. But $500 heals lots of wounds. Though it will be nice to keep the kids next door to each other. Then if we take turns staying in with them its a quick jaunt next door not across the ship.

Pros and cons....

If you go through a PVP I know they can put in a request for you to be put together.