On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

The band was made up of 4 really nice guys...and good musicians as well.

16778389668_f3f7ab925d_b.jpg

Between numbers they talked with us and suggested things to see and do on their island.

16965154231_9b43de7d3a_b.jpg

One of the really nice surprises - and something we had never seen before - was a table with complimentary samples of the islands fruits and vegetables. The lady behind the table is holding a chart which explains which each of the bowls contains.

16778391978_a41d81bd70_b.jpg

She also took the time to point out which of the items were her favorites. If visiting the island, this is a must do stop - the fruits and vegetables were fresh and the cool pineapple was refreshing.

16940136046_4cbe4850d1_b.jpg

:)

Well, I actually would like to do a Tahiti cruise for my 50th, but there don't seem to be any good options for the month of April. I can't take a month off work for a cruise, and the 10 nighters on Princess seem to be in the September - November time frame. Maybe I could celebrate 50 1/2 :D

There are a couple of much shorter cruises that hit many of the same ports. There are 10 and 11 cruises that are round trip out of Tahiti, and there is a 12 day cruise that goes from Tahiti to Honolulu. Involves a couple of longer air flights, but gives you many of the same ports in less than half the time as you don't have to sail from and to Los Angeles. Just something to consider...

Jack

This is where the tenders dock. I am standing right in front of the table with the fruits and vegetables (and dancing people:) )so you can see how close everything is together.

16977462631_3f6d93933c_b.jpg

Once off the tender and past the refreshment table you turn to the right and walk through Souvenir Alley. Lots of neat things to temp you!

16977047322_5c0ec39464_b.jpg

Once through the Alley a right turn brings you Hiro's boat. His tour was $40 (or $50 dollars with lunch) - which included just about all the beer you could drink! We had signed up for the tour on our roll call, but there was no need - they were taking all comers and there was no discount for the roll call group - same price for everybody.

16771009847_b10b3f687f_b.jpg

Another area of souvenir stands. They didn't want you to go away empty handed.

16952431076_4ffe24fe99_b.jpg

Thanks for the great review and pictures!

They bring back WONDERFUL memories of Tahiti.

Just a heads up for future cruisers - most of those "souvenirs" at the dock in Moorea are made by the people selling them and they will be the biggest bargains you'll find in all of the cruise. :D

Jack,

Is there a link to all the pictures.

Could you email it to me...gund 43 at htc dot net

Thanks so much for putting so much time into this.

All you have to do for the flickr pictures is click on one and it takes you to flickr and then you can scan forward or backward to see the pics.

Glad you are enjoying them,

Jack

Thanks for the great review and pictures!

They bring back WONDERFUL memories of Tahiti.

Just a heads up for future cruisers - most of those "souvenirs" at the dock in Moorea are made by the people selling them and they will be the biggest bargains you'll find in all of the cruise. :D

Good point! Jill got a shell necklace for about half the price she would have paid in Hawaii. While I normally do not like shopping, talking to the vendors in their stalls was really quite entertaining.

We purchased the Hiro tour and headed out into the absolutely clear water of Moorea. It is really hard to describe just how clear the water is - and relatively shallow as well.

Looking back at the mountains - it seemed like clouds hung around the mountains all day, but it was perfectly clear out over the water.

16811701448_d9ec5799f5_b.jpg

Occasionally, the clouds would come down and hide the mountain tops.

16811965440_08636e2c88_b.jpg

But the scenery on the way out to the Motu was quite stunning.

16811703328_9163bcaf3a_b.jpg

Please excuse me for a moment, as I wipe a small tear of joy out of my eye...I have finally arrived at an island where the ladies wear grass skirts and coconut bras!

16768237259_3d136493ec_b.jpg

They welcomed us with smiles and a very nice dance routine. You can see the musicians in the background.

16953510301_9b372c8fd4_b.jpg

Unfortunately, Jill insisted we go on the tour we had signed up for so this is the last picture I was able to take...they were gone when we got back!

16332084704_b76901b2b7_b.jpg

If I recall correctly, entertainers at the Polynesian cultural Center in Oahu also dress similarly - you didn't have to go all the way to FP.:)

As we got further from port we started to see what we were told were vacation rentals on the beach.

16983385266_116a6be351_b.jpg

Look at how clear the water is. What appear to be shadows under the water are actually rocks on the seafloor.

17007945052_ab4778c0d4_b.jpg

These rentals are less expensive as they are not on the beach, but I bet the view from up there is great!

16386950024_2cc9e93099_b.jpg

If I recall correctly, entertainers at the Polynesian cultural Center in Oahu also dress similarly - you didn't have to go all the way to FP.:)

Now, this is just another reason I have to go back to Hawaii!:) We have been there four times and have yet to visit the Cultural Center.

Our first "dive" was just off shore from this resort.

16397014214_fc916477c0_b.jpg

How would you like to spend a week in Paradise - able to jump into water from your own back porch?

16993445556_209228985c_b.jpg

Maybe two weeks?

17018559921_a3c65045dc_b.jpg

Why stop at two weeks.:) That is just too inviting to limit it!

We have arrived at our first "dive" site. As you can see, it is not far from the harbor - that's our ship in the background.

17028348402_8d9080fb62_b.jpg

A number of tours come to the same spot, as the guides chum the water by throwing pieces of fish into the water.

17028346952_1a957d4626_b.jpg

Those are rays and sharks down there waiting for us to jump in.

16409642853_f0a70f9180_b.jpg

At $300 a night, I probably couldn't handle much more than two weeks. Now if we could just get Princess to anchor a ship there.:)

i think $300 would be a bargain for one of those overwater bungalows . I have a feeling it's closer to $500 - $1000 a night. :eek:

Also a hint (from experience) for future cruisers - watch the tour providers when they are getting ready to throw that "chum" into the water to attract the sharks and the rays and make sure you are NOT anywhere near it or you will be in the center of a mass feeding frenzy. :p

To get into the water, one just walked down the steps in the front of the boat.

17054115335_6b6c7b8c96_b.jpg

This is our guide. Unfortunately, I have forgotten his name, but he was very good! He chummed the water for us and actually hand fed some of the rays - not the sharks though!

16433965703_d1ab6e1eef_b.jpg

The water was crystal clear - you can even see the first of the sharks in the background.

16867888219_7f01e94b42_b.jpg

i think $300 would be a bargain for one of those overwater bungalows . I have a feeling it's closer to $500 - $1000 a night. :eek:

Also a hint (from experience) for future cruisers - watch the tour providers when they are getting ready to throw that "chum" into the water to attract the sharks and the rays and make sure you are NOT anywhere near it or you will be in the center of a mass feeding frenzy. :p

Actually, an overwater bungalow at the Intercontinental Resort and Spa for the month that we were there (November) runs $225 a night. The rate for the same type of bungalow at the Hilton Lagoon Resort and Spa is a little more expensive - a night there will set you back $266. (per Trip Advisor).

Shall we go?:D

Edited by SailorJack