3 people in 2 person cabin

aamechs2

We booked a cruise for 6 of us, a quad and a double. Then a friend of ours decided to book too. I tried to change to triples because there are 3 boys and 2 girls but the triples were sold out so my friend booked a double for herself and her son. But the son really really wants to be in the room with our 2 boys. Will it be OK if we take a mattress off the overhead bed in the quad and use it in the double? The rooms are all side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a similar situation last year on the Elation and it was not a problem at all.

Initially, there were 2 families of 4 going on the cruise. The other set of parents and I decided to get a 3rd cabin to put our 4 daughters in and each set of parents had their own cabin. A little later, another family decided to go on the cruise with us. They had one daughter who is good friends with our daughters and she wanted to hang out in our girls' cabin for sleepovers. So, she did pretty much every night. Our steward even brought a trundle in for the 5th person in a 4 person room. We had the same steward for all 4 cabins, so that probably helped, too.

Edited by Stacy_C

I would check with Carnival in advance. Many of the older ships are "grandfathered in" in regards to regulations and they have no problem with multiple individuals in one room/cabin. However, coast guard regulations are more strict in regards to the newer ships. Because of this their may be regulations against adding individuals to additional cabins.

Good luck.

I would check with Carnival in advance. Many of the older ships are "grandfathered in" in regards to regulations and they have no problem with multiple individuals in one room/cabin. However, coast guard regulations are more strict in regards to the newer ships. Because of this their may be regulations against adding individuals to additional cabins.

Good luck.

The problem only exists is booking, never who sleeps where. Just ask the steward and he should be able to accommodate.

We booked a cruise for 6 of us, a quad and a double. Then a friend of ours decided to book too. I tried to change to triples because there are 3 boys and 2 girls but the triples were sold out so my friend booked a double for herself and her son. But the son really really wants to be in the room with our 2 boys. Will it be OK if we take a mattress off the overhead bed in the quad and use it in the double? The rooms are all side by side.

As long as each passenger is assigned to a cabin and paid for, I see no issue if they want to have a "sleep over" in the one cabin. Just don't try to 'assign' them together in the same cabin. Also, remember that whoever is 'sleeping over' will not have access to that cabin with their S&S card, as they are assigned to a different cabin.

Hoping all works out and the 3 boys enjoy their sleep over. Have a great cruise ! :)

As long as each passenger is assigned to a cabin and paid for, I see no issue if they want to have a "sleep over" in the one cabin. Just don't try to 'assign' them together in the same cabin. Also, remember that whoever is 'sleeping over' will not have access to that cabin with their S&S card, as they are assigned to a different cabin.

Hoping all works out and the 3 boys enjoy their sleep over. Have a great cruise ! :)

You can go to guest services and get a duplicate room key.

I would still suggest that you check with the staff. The coast guard does have strict rules for safety reasons in regards to how many individuals can sleep in one room. As I have stated that this rule is not enforced in the older ships in that they are grandfathered in. One can break the rules, but if an accident or incident does occur, it is the passengers responsibility.

It only matters in how things are booked, not where they sleep. Can you imagine how much security would be needed to make sure that visitors to rooms don't fall asleep, on purpose or by accident, in a room that they are not assigned to sleep in? That would be so tedious & unnecessary. If there is a call to abandon ship, the lifejacket for the boy will be in the room that the boy is booked in. That is the only issue that any official would actually be concerned with.

The room stewards getting properly tipped is another issue. If all rooms have the same steward, then it won't be a big deal. If the double room has a sofa in it (It will if it's an oceanview or balcony), that sofa could be made up into a bed by the steward. It would be nice to give him an extra tip for the extra work. There are no trundles or rollaways on this ship. That's only on the older ships, so that will not be an option.

I would still suggest that you check with the staff. The coast guard does have strict rules for safety reasons in regards to how many individuals can sleep in one room. As I have stated that this rule is not enforced in the older ships in that they are grandfathered in. One can break the rules, but if an accident or incident does occur, it is the passengers responsibility.

Where the Coast Guard enters the picture is that they say you can only have the number of passengers onboard that you have lifeboat capacity for. In other words, you can book only the amount of people in a cabin that the cabin is designed for. You can book less, but not more. (If you book less than the capacity, then you take the risk of being moved if they need a cabin with that capacity.)

As an example, book two cabins, One has a capacity of two and the other three. Once those cabins are booked for five people, it doesn't matter to the Coast Guard where those five people sleep because there is room for five people in lifeboats.

Just flip-flop the rooms. No-brainer.

Last year our DD's friend wanted to do the same thing. I gave our room steward a $20 when I asked him to make up the couch in their room and told them their friend may stay there a night or two. He indicated they really weren't supposed to do it but would as long as I didn't tell his boss. He made sure to put an extra life jacket in their room and always left them plenty of towels.

Even on DCL, the staff pointed out to me that they really didn't care where people slept, nor could they control it. :cool: pretty sure the booze cruises have lots of cabin switching and "sleepovers" going on.

why would you NOT want the boys to have the quad room instead. switch out rooms instead of bedding.

Sigh, because we have 2 teen girls, 3 teen boys, 1 Mom of boy and married couple with boy/girl twins. The other boys feel weird with the Mom in there, which leaves me with needing 2 triple rooms and a double BUT there were no triples even near each other, only on different floors. We wanted our rooms side by side as the kids are only 15 (with 1 boy being 17) but still not comfortable having them further from us. If we have to, the oldest boy will be in the quad with the girls and a Mom. Thanks for those of you who were trying to help.