RC photo packages

johnboi

Hello fellow cruise addicts.

I have contacted RC via email with no response so I'm hoping my friends on here can help. We are going on the Voyager of the Seas in February and have heard there are photo packages on board.

1. Is this true?

2. How much is it?

3. What do you get for it and can you pre-purchase or do you purchase on board?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole! The prices the onboard so-called professional photographers charge are outrageous IMHO!

I find these days with our digital cameras that we can take wonderful photos of our cruises and then make up a photobook to keep the memories intack for a very small percentage of what the onboard people charge.

I use http://www.snapfish for mine but even your local Hardly Normal or BW stores can help you.

I have no hesitation offering to take photos for a couple or group I see then ask them to do the same for me! :) :)

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We would never buy the package, like Gae said with digital cameras why would you, but, we always have one taken on the first formal. For around $20, we think it is good value for one special photo per cruise.

Hope this helps.

I think you will find that contacting RC will not be of much use. On just about all ships the photo shop is a concession that is leased out to whoever will take it on , or tender the highest amount for the right. Most of the photographers are on commission only .

Once on board , I am sure you will find plenty of opportunities to buy whatever you want.:)

Thanks everyone. Finally got a response from RC and KK was right, there isn't much use as we got a fairly standard response. We'll check things out once onboard and make a decision then, as we would like a few professional shots.

Hello fellow cruise addicts.

I have contacted RC via email with no response so I'm hoping my friends on here can help. We are going on the Voyager of the Seas in February and have heard there are photo packages on board.

1. Is this true?

2. How much is it?

3. What do you get for it and can you pre-purchase or do you purchase on board?

Thanks in advance for your help!

All ships have a photography shop and yes packages are available - on board ship only.

There are various products from simple unmounted to photo albums and dvd collections, including a cruise dvd with video of idiots being stupid.

We find the photographers are always in your face from the time you pass customs, at every port, formal nights and meal times.

Nice to have 1 or 2 on a special occasion but as others have said, take rest yourself.

On boarding, then on board, and at every port, they are everywhere. You can get them to take whatever photos with no obligation and then see if you like them.

We have found they get you to do some very strange poses, and we have only ever purchased one as it was with another couple we travelled with and looked nice.

What Gae said "so called professionals". Heard one of them whining on the last trip. "One week's training and then they threw me straight into this!" Whine whine. Yep, I can tell from the terrible shots on the wall. Have a look at the average age. A professional photographer should love the chance to sail the world. Most of them have quite a bit of sour attitude.

Also those ones on the floor I see other people suffering through. Yuk. How about some privacy, not in the walkway near the lifts! Yes, your good skirt is riding up around your back!

Ones that they take at the formal dining nights we just say "no thanks" to now. That is certainly something that you can get taken by someone nearby. Just get the person taking the photo to take several shots if possible.

Remember that when they tell you to stand there, you can say no and keep walking. We didn't know that when we were new cruisers.

Edited by goodycruising

There are packages available. The price varies by length of cruise though, but it's a flat amount for all photos.

It's usually great value, compared to the cost of photos. If you only would buy 1 or two, there's not much point, but especially if it's one of your first cruises and you would get a fair number of photos, the package becomes a good deal.

You can order in advance, or usually onboard for at least the first few days as well.

I'm with Gae. Way too expensive. We bought the photo taken as we were boarding as a token and didn't bother with the rest. Might have bought one if we'd done a formal night shoot.

Edited by TeamH

Warning: don't buy the DVD, it is a complete waste of money. If you are lucky there is about 60-90 seconds of video of the cruise (from an 9-11 day cruise), the rest is made up from very old library footage. What you see on the tv in your stateroom is all the footage that will be on the DVD and it cost $29.95US.

The photos aren't too bad, $299 for a photo package for all photos that you gather yourself, this is worth it if you want to spend an hour or more a day waiting and posing at the various stations. We have bought twice, but had over 150 family photos from each cruise, so only worked out at $2US each or so.

my 2c worth

Mick