Where's the lobsta?

bagpiper1

Usually, NCL waits until their competition does something in regards to fuel supplements and fleetwide onboard changes such as this. Risky move on their part to eliminate a tradition that many past cruisers expect. I don't see the upside if other cruise lines continue to not upcharge for it. It will make their product a tougher sell.

Edited by coaster

Usually, NCL waits until their competition does something in regards to fuel supplements and fleetwide onboard changes such as this. Risky move on their part to eliminate a tradition that many past cruisers expect. I don't see the upside if other cruise lines continue to not upcharge for it. It will make their product a tougher sell.

That is what is called the Marketplace. If NCL could trace a declining market share to not offering complimentary lobster, you can bet there will probably be a change in procedures.

Personally, I don't think that will happen. I am certainly no demographics expert, but here is my thought.

The total capacity for the NCL fleet is roughly 34,500 passengers. Considering that some ships average more than one sailing per week, the possible weekly passenger count is even higher than that. But for demonstration purposes, I will use the 34,500 figure.

Let's say that on average the fleet sails at 80% capacity. That would be 27,600 passengers per week.

In 2008 the CLIA did a study of USA and UK cruise passengers and estimated the average age to be 46. The way I read the report, this covered all length cruises. It is a well known fact that the longer the cruise, the higher the average age. When I first started cruising in 1984, the average age was mid to upper 50's for a 7 night cruise, 65-70 for 10-14 night trips, and anything longer than 14 nights the average age was 75-dead.

Here is where my opinion comes into play. I'm guessing the average age for 7 night cruises to be low to mid 40's. I use the 7 night number because that is still pretty much the industry standard. Also, I don't know if any of the Lines offer MDR lobster on sailings less than 7 nights.

To me, this would mean that 15% or less are passengers that have been cruising long enough to have experienced the Gala Lobster and Baked Alaska night, the Midnight Buffet EVERY night, with one of the nights being the special Grand Buffet that took up a large portion of the dining room, and the HORSE RACES (sorry, I couldn't resist). I'm sure I'm missing some of the other things that have been dropped over the years.

The next group would be those that have experienced some of these. I would put this number at 30%. These would be the people who started cruising during, or shortly after the great expansion in passenger capacity and the advent of the Mega-Liners. This was when some ships still made a deal of Lobster Night, and others, with the introduction of buffets and alternate dining venues, had lobster as just another menu item.

The remaining 45% are what I call new cruisers (perspective is everything). Not just first timers, but those who have only experienced the ships with 7, 10, or even more options for dining, and if you even mention the Midnight Buffet, they give you that look like a dog hearing a weird noise. Many of these have probably never had lobster in the MDR simply because they eat at other dining venues for whatever reason they choose.

So what does all this dribble mean?

To me, it means that you might get 1/4 of group A (1035), maybe 10% of group B (828), and probably 5% of group C (759) that will actually complain somewhere other than the Cruise Critic forums about the loss of lobster in the MDR.

This would mean that out of 27,600 people who cruise weekly with NCL, a total of 2622, or 9.5% are making noise to NCL about no lobster in the MDR.

Hardly enough to make them change their mind.

Now if we could just get about 75% of the passengers to fill out the "Other Comments" section of their survey with "Bring back the HORSE RACES"................................

After the great food and service I just had on a short Sensation cruise, I'm switching to Carnival for my 7 day cruise in Feb 2016. I was impressed.

Allrighty then. You mentioned it like 3x so you must be very excited. Have a great time. I sailed on one of their older ships, I think the same class. (Imagination) it was a great cruise so I am sure you will have a great time.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I for one won't miss the lobster.

Why is that? Because I love lobster, and having been on the Dawn a few years ago when lobster was being served, I have to say it was very pitiful lobster. They were not even half a pound, it was just the tail, and it was served cold and under-seasoned.

If this is what they are cutting to cut costs, it won't be missed; especially on Caribbean itineraries where you can get amazing lobster in most ports for a price that you wouldn't even notice if it was tacked onto your cruise fare. And I guarantee it'll be 10x better than what would've been served on-board.

This would mean that out of 27,600 people who cruise weekly with NCL, a total of 2622, or 9.5% are making noise to NCL about no lobster in the MDR.

Hardly enough to make them change their mind.

I disagree - having worked in customer service (not for a cruise line), this is a huge percentage of customers to complain about a single thing. If that many people actually complained, it would be noticed. I suspect the number is much, much lower. I suspect the number is < 1% for the people that actually bother to file a real complaint - not counting CC or off-hand comments to staff.

I'm really going to catch hell for this........but the lobster was really good on you know where.

Careful, they consider that thread hijacking. 4x in the same thread might get noticed.

While lobster is nice, not as many people cruise for the tiny $2.49 each lobster tails that most cruise lines use.

I booked the Getaway fully knowing it woudn't have lobster tails. Yeah would have been nice but it wasn't a deal breaker for the rest of the around 4k guests either.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

We just got off the Jade-28 day Med cruise. We paid extra for the lobster in Le Bistro and it still wasn't lobster tail. There was a tail shell on the plate, but a sauce with little hard tough bits of lobster and artichokes was poured over it!

Won't make that mistake again!

Wonderful cruise tho...