Best time to book Alaska

Hoosierheadhunter

I'm looking to take a cruise to Alaska in June 2006. I have requested brochures from Holland America, RCL, Princess and Celebrity. Although nearly a month has passed since I ordered them, only the Holland America catalogue has arrived. I have found a sailing and intinery that would work just fine for us but am reluctant to commit until I see what the other cruise lines have. Any suggestions on when the best time to book is or what is the latest I could book and still get the dates and cabin type I want.

Hoosierheadhunter

You can actually find more information on the websites than you will in the brochures. IMHO the issues should relate to which ports are visited and for how long and what amenities are available on the ships. Further, the brochures aren't going to give you much real info on service. (There is a significant difference in style between say HAL and Celebrity.)

As far as timing, there is still time without question. Only if you want a particular cabin/suite might there be an issue.

I agree, however, that if you have a good TA many of your questions will be better and more fully answered than flipping through a brochure.

If you want definite cabin, itinerary and cruise line you need to book early (all have bookings for next year open).. If airfare isn't an issue and you aren't picky about ship and specific itinerary you can get some bargains a couple of months out.. but don't recommend for first timer.. You need to figure out what ports interest you most, see how much time ships spend in each etc.. All of this is on cruise line websites. Highly recommend Glacier Bay on your itinerary although only HAL and NCL do this on roundtrip cruises at this point ex. for a couple on Carnival early and late season.

You may be able to download the brochures directly from the websites. Princess does this. I downloaded the Alaska and the Caribbean brochures.

If you truly want a printed brochure, swing by a TA's office. They'll be glad to give you one.

Archived