Crown Princess and Norovirus

curtdesilets

We were on the Crown for the 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific cruise in October. We always bring a Clorox product made with Hydrogen Peroxide that is only sold on line and is supposed to "destroy" Noro on contact. Before we unpack we wash all surfaces that may be touched with the stuff, including the light switches, phone, TV remote, drawer pulls, toilet, shower floor, faucets. When we go to dinner we accept the Purel that they spray on our hands and then wash them in hot water in the dining room rest room before going to the table. You would think that we would have avoided Noro but my wife and I both got hit with it and had to spend 48 hours in our room. About 150 people got it on that trip. It is hard to avoid it and I really think that many people who feel ill don't report it and that's how it spreads.

Marty

Did you ever consider people may be contracting norovirus while stopping at ports?

That's what I think too! Consider the itineraries as well....tropical islands and Mexico. Certainly room for contamination while eating in those places?

We were on the 28 day in Oct/Nov and we got the warning from the Capt. about hand washing and such, but the BIG outbreak happened after we left Tahiti. I believe it was picked up by several people in the market or at the food trucks.

We sailed for almost 3 weeks before that without a big problem!

Edited by suzyed

...Before we unpack we wash all surfaces that may be touched with the stuff, including the light switches, phone, TV remote, drawer pulls, toilet, shower floor, faucets...

I have seen stewards go from cabin to cabin to clean without washing hands or changing gloves (when wearing them). So all your cleaning could be undone the first time your steward enters your cabin after that.

I have now begun asking our steward to please not do any cleaning or straightening in our cabin during our cruise, just swap out towels. Even that has Noro potential, however.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I followed that previous thread and read the research results. The Purell product was VF481 Instant Hand Sanitizer. It is available from Amazon.com, but is mostly in large, industrial-sized containers to be used in the machines like those on the Princess ships, or in large lots of 2-oz pocket-sized bottles. Therefore very expensive.

I wonder which Purell product the ships use. Anybody know?

Howard

Good old soap and water is the best. No need to purchase industrial size Purell.

pub lunch is hit or miss... it was great the other day.

In terms of waiting, maybe you should try the 5:30 in da vinci where they'll have you seated, fed and out the door in under 40 minutes.

We had assigned 5:30 in davinci

First night there was no assigned seating, second night was long

We, too, were on the 28-day Tahiti/Hawaii cruise on the Crown this past Oct/Nov. There were many sick people on that last week of 8 (then 9) sea days. I agree that it was probably picked up in the last port and brought aboard. We knew several people on the ship that became violently ill with Noro. I did the following and it may have prevented us from contracting Noro:

1) Always used elbows to push elevator buttons and never touched a handrail anywhere.

2) Cleaned the entire cabin frequently with Clorox wipes - all switches, buttons, doorknobs, faucet, lamp switches, tv remote, dressing table and bedside table tops.

3) Washed hands thoroughly before going to dinner in the cabin and used the hand sanitizer outside the DaVinci dining room without fail.

4) Used utensils to eat everything, or a paper napkin if that wasn't possible, to handle food. I may have looked weird eating my pizza and doughnuts with a fork and knife, but so what.

5) Carried and used portable hand wipes in my Princess bag on-shore and even around the ship throughout the day. Made a conscious effort to avoid touching my face, nose, eyes.

6) Possibly the most important way of avoiding Noro on the Crown (I suspect), was NEVER eating in the buffet a single time the entire 28-days. I am generally grossed out by the buffets on any cruise ship (after seeing so much unsanitary passenger behavior over the years), and the darkness and low ceilings make the Crown buffets even more unappealing to me, so eating everywhere but there was easy.

So, I am probably upholding my reputation as a germaphobe, but we didn't get Noro on what has been dubbed the "Poop Ship."

Ironic. DW and I haven't sailed since the Crown Princess Noro Cruise to Nowhere. Our vacations have all been flights to wherever and hotels. I thought I'd check back in to see how things were going.

We left Lauderdale late b/c the Crown was being disinfected. Didn't do any good. But we were lucky and / or took adequate precautions - no Noro for us and we did get a full refund.

Aside - somebody mentioned airplane armrests, etc. Supposedly, the seatback pocket is the filthiest part of the plane. Don't know if that's accurate or urban legend.

Anyway, good luck and may all your cruises be Noro free! The Crown is a beautiful ship and the food was excellent.

I was on the Crown last April and last September for one week cruises......no noro...ate in the buffet for lunch and loved the food as our overall dining experience in every venue couldn't have been more perfect.

The ship was clean, fun and the crew was superb.

Straight from the CDC....As a pediatric medical provider, we see Noro viruses in my office all the time....WASH hands.....that is truly the best thing to do....If you eat in a restaurant, you are just as much at risk, as eating on a cruise ship. I used to tell my patients the best way to pick up a dx, is to go shopping and use a cart.....and put your kid in it....I might add that you are contagious without symptoms for a short period of time.....so it is very easy for someone in to stay in LA, pick it up there while getting a bottle of wine, or in Walmarts....then boarding the ship....It is all over the world, and it isn't going away any time soon....It is miserable, but for most healthy people it is a yukky inconvenience made worse because it is on your vacation....However, for some with an immune problem or other types of health issues, it can be dangerous, and even deadly. If you are really have a reason to be concerned, do not travel in the winter months, when it is most prevalent...In the tropics, it is present all year round.......I am sailing on the Crown in a couple of weeks...She is a great ship, and I think that Captain Lawes runs a very tight ship....but illness is always a risk....Cruisers keep the medical staff very busy.

DIRECTLY FROM THE CDC.....

How contagious is norovirus?

Norovirus is a highly contagious virus. Anyone can get infected with norovirus and get sick. Also, you can get norovirus illness many times in your life. One reason for this is that there are many different types of noroviruses. Being infected with one type of norovirus may not protect you against other types.

Norovirus can be found in your stool (feces) even before you start feeling sick. The virus can stay in your stool for 2 weeks or more after you feel better.

You are most contagious

when you are sick with norovirus illness, and

during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness.

You can become infected with norovirus by accidentally getting stool or vomit from infected people in your mouth. This usually happens by

Norovirus and food

Norovirus is the leading cause of illness and outbreaks from contaminated food in the United States. Most of these outbreaks occur in the food service settings like restaurants. Infected food workers are frequently the source of the outbreaks, often by touching ready-to-eat foods, such as raw fruits and vegetables, with their bare hands before serving them. However, any food served raw or handled after being cooked can get contaminated with norovirus.

Norovirus outbreaks can also occur from foods, such as oysters, fruits, and vegetables, that are contaminated at their source.

eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus,

touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus then putting your fingers in your mouth, or

having contact with someone who is infected with norovirus (for example, caring for or sharing food or eating utensils with someone with norovirus illness).

Norovirus can spread quickly in closed places like daycare centers, nursing homes, schools, and cruise ships. Most norovirus outbreaks happen from November to April in the United States.

We, too, were on the 28-day Tahiti/Hawaii cruise on the Crown this past Oct/Nov. There were many sick people on that last week of 8 (then 9) sea days. I agree that it was probably picked up in the last port and brought aboard. We knew several people on the ship that became violently ill with Noro. I did the following and it may have prevented us from contracting Noro:

1) Always used elbows to push elevator buttons and never touched a handrail anywhere.

2) Cleaned the entire cabin frequently with Clorox wipes - all switches, buttons, doorknobs, faucet, lamp switches, tv remote, dressing table and bedside table tops.

3) Washed hands thoroughly before going to dinner in the cabin and used the hand sanitizer outside the DaVinci dining room without fail.

4) Used utensils to eat everything, or a paper napkin if that wasn't possible, to handle food. I may have looked weird eating my pizza and doughnuts with a fork and knife, but so what.

5) Carried and used portable hand wipes in my Princess bag on-shore and even around the ship throughout the day. Made a conscious effort to avoid touching my face, nose, eyes.

6) Possibly the most important way of avoiding Noro on the Crown (I suspect), was NEVER eating in the buffet a single time the entire 28-days. I am generally grossed out by the buffets on any cruise ship (after seeing so much unsanitary passenger behavior over the years), and the darkness and low ceilings make the Crown buffets even more unappealing to me, so eating everywhere but there was easy.

So, I am probably upholding my reputation as a germaphobe, but we didn't get Noro on what has been dubbed the "Poop Ship."

I am a germaphobe too....Having been an OR nurse for 35 years, I know the right way to do it....and have taught DH too. We did all of the the things listed above that you did. We did, however, also eat in the buffet (much to my dismay...I hate buffets)But DH got it and I didn't. I firmly believe it was from the sandwich he had in the market in Tahiti. I had a different sandwich than he did. But that's just my conspiracy theory! ;)

Edited by suzyed