Crown Princess and Norovirus

curtdesilets

Apparently she came down with Norovirus on an October Hawaii Cruise as per this quite negative review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=265625

The reviewer believes the Noro was contracted due to lack of cleanliness and understaffed room stewards. That is possible, I guess.

I'm reading these reviews because we would like to take one of the 3-4 day Pacific Coastal cruises Princess offers, but I'm not sure if it is wise...yet.

I believe they are being given by another vessel in March. Possibly one with a clean bill of health.

I really have nothing against the Crown, in general I thought she was well laid-out and run. But I'll think twice about traveling on her until this issue, which seems long-term, is resolved.

I,m sure you would have found it more aggravating to be confined in your room for 3 days just be glad they took the measures they do to prevent the spread and taking about aggravating I overheard the person in front of me refuse to sanitize their hands stating they had just washed their hands just before coming to buffet well let me tell you if ever I hear someone say that again I will turn into one of those arrogant cruisers that customer service has to deal with and hasn,t got a chance on hell of pleasing

I will give it right back and tell them what selfish and ignorant people they are and take a course on infection control

and so many wonder why we get noro on ships

I won't sanitize after washing my hands thoroughly either. That alcohol based sanitizer doesn't kill virus germs and you might actually catch noro by touching the machine. I think you need to take the course on infection control.

I believe they are being given by another vessel in March. Possibly one with a clean bill of health.

I really have nothing against the Crown, in general I thought she was well laid-out and run. But I'll think twice about traveling on her until this issue, which seems long-term, is resolved.

Agreed. Even after their recent cleanup, they were still isolating a few passengers for Noro Virus on the most recent sailing on Crown Princess.

I know the chances are slim, but the Code Red precautions and multiple Captain's announcements about the extent of the Noro, sure seems to diminish the cruise experience.

I see that the Ruby Princess will be making some of these California coastal cruises late next year and early 2016.

Ruby seems to have no issues with Noro, am I right?

Also seems the Ruby might be a better ship overall, from the reviews that I've read.

I won't sanitize after washing my hands thoroughly either. That alcohol based sanitizer doesn't kill virus germs and you might actually catch noro by touching the machine.

You are not supposed to touch the machine. Put your hand under it and it squirts.

Bear in mind, on any given cruise, there are a few cases of Noro. The Crown is more sensitive to it than most right now. But I guarantee you, on 9 of your last 10 cruises (maybe not on the little girls), there was a quarantined cabin, if not 2 or 3. And those are the ones who reported or needed treatment.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the Crown has Noro again !! This is the 3 or 4th time in the past 12 months. A friend is booked on tomorrow's cruise and she has been told it now won't be leaving until at least 9 PM due to the outbreak. It is just finishing a 7 day Mexican Riviera itinerary.

Something is definately wrong here - the Crown just had an outbreak on the way back from a 28 day cruise in December. So it doesn't point to San Pedro as being the problem. Seems like it's either a crew member (latent carier somehow?) or a result of procedures on the ship itself.

Much higher rate than other ships - that's for sure

Apparently the Crown has Noro again !! This is the 3 or 4th time in the past 12 months. A friend is booked on tomorrow's cruise and she has been told it now won't be leaving until at least 9 PM due to the outbreak.

This has caused at least one poster to throw a tantrum.

Good entertainment, after the grandkids went home...

Edited by pablo222

This has caused at least one poster to throw a tantrum.

Good entertainment, after the grandkids went home...

Huh???

Sorry pablo222

I don't understand your reply..........are you saying mentioning the Crown is experiencing another frequent noro outbreak is tantamount to me throwing a tantrum?

I would recommend NOT traveling on the Crown. We just got back from the 12/20/14-12/27/14 Mexico Cruise, Noro announcements were made the 3rd day out. I will say that the 2 rooms that we booked, were dirty. Not "dirty dishes left in room", full on dirty smudges on the walls, near the closet restroom areas, inside of the drawers had soda ring marks, I could keep going on and on. The bathrooms in both cabins had the "past"travelers shampoo and soap still in the stalls, as well as sunscreen in the closet area that holds the safe inside. The pillow in our room, had stains on it, which we had replaced. The bed in the other room we booked was riddled with other peoples hair in it. We asked for egg crates on the mattresses, which the beds are usually made with them, this time the crate was placed in our room. It was covered with gross hair, fuzz and debris, We had the steward keep the egg crate. I traveled with a duffle bag full of lysol and cleaners. I had to wipe down walls, and disinfect everything. It was the only way we could be comfortable on our trip.

We had both rooms on the Emerald deck, which later in the week, we saw several "workers with masks on", which presumably would be the team they have in place to clean the quarantined rooms. Also, the bottom of the shower curtains in both rooms, had that pink mildewish look to them. It was gross. As the week progressed, The workers on the ship seemed to do everything that they could to keep it together and confined. It just makes things awful when you have to be so cautious and scared of getting sick. It makes going to the shows hard, sitting so close to people and we avoided the elevators. That made for a great work out, however, if your unable to only do stairs, you are in trouble.

Apparently the Crown has Noro again !! This is the 3 or 4th time in the past 12 months. A friend is booked on tomorrow's cruise and she has been told it now won't be leaving until at least 9 PM due to the outbreak. It is just finishing a 7 day Mexican Riviera itinerary.

Something is definately wrong here - the Crown just had an outbreak on the way back from a 28 day cruise in December. So it doesn't point to San Pedro as being the problem. Seems like it's either a crew member (latent carier somehow?) or a result of procedures on the ship itself.

There have been a couple of intensive threads on this (late embarkation) over the last few days, one of which is locked. Might worth taking a look at. Quite entertaining.

There are the usual suspects trying to stir the pot.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Excuse me, but just how does a ship get the Noro-Virus? :p

They might be a prime environment for Norovirus, but for a ship to get it would be impossible. Can a ship's digestive systems (fuel system) get diarrhea? What about dehydration due to diarrhea, lack of appetite, and vomiting (Lord watch out if a ship were ever to vomits)! :eek:

People get Noro-Virus and bring it on board! Just like on airplanes, virus' spread and people contract them. You don't hear about AA Flight 791 having Noro-Virus! The Crown has never had it's own case of Noro-Virus and never will.

I would recommend NOT traveling on the Crown. We just got back from the 12/20/14-12/27/14 Mexico Cruise, Noro announcements were made the 3rd day out. I will say that the 2 rooms that we booked, were dirty. Not "dirty dishes left in room", full on dirty smudges on the walls, near the closet restroom areas, inside of the drawers had soda ring marks, I could keep going on and on. The bathrooms in both cabins had the "past"travelers shampoo and soap still in the stalls, as well as sunscreen in the closet area that holds the safe inside. The pillow in our room, had stains on it, which we had replaced. The bed in the other room we booked was riddled with other peoples hair in it. We asked for egg crates on the mattresses, which the beds are usually made with them, this time the crate was placed in our room. It was covered with gross hair, fuzz and debris, We had the steward keep the egg crate. I traveled with a duffle bag full of lysol and cleaners. I had to wipe down walls, and disinfect everything. It was the only way we could be comfortable on our trip.

We had both rooms on the Emerald deck, which later in the week, we saw several "workers with masks on", which presumably would be the team they have in place to clean the quarantined rooms. Also, the bottom of the shower curtains in both rooms, had that pink mildewish look to them. It was gross. As the week progressed, The workers on the ship seemed to do everything that they could to keep it together and confined. It just makes things awful when you have to be so cautious and scared of getting sick. It makes going to the shows hard, sitting so close to people and we avoided the elevators. That made for a great work out, however, if your unable to only do stairs, you are in trouble.

Were we on the same cruise?! The captain did make an announcement 3 days out reiterating the importance of washing your hands and noted we had 15 NORO cases. This number never elevated beyond that and based on 4500 crew and passenger this is so insignificant it's hardly worth mentioning! The overall cruise was great and our stateroom on Caribe deck was terrific! The only complaint I had was deck service was extremely slow and sometime non existent. There were just under 700 children on board, but I must say they were very well behaved and I would never have guessed this many were on board. All in all a very good vacation :)

Maybe it was the emerald deck that was left dirty..? We had a great time, but honestly our rooms were filthy! I almost took "before" pictures, just to show, however, I did not want to have to look at pictures like that after our trip. Both of our booked rooms were dirty, if they were cleaned properly, I would not place so much blame on the ship.

We were on the 12/13 sailing. No noro on that sailing. The crew was constantly cleaning. They seemed to have a dedicated team carrying yellow buckets who were always cleaning railings, furnishings, elevator buttons, etc.

Since there are multiple sailings between outbreaks, it is clear that it is brought onboard by passengers. We have no qualms sailing on Crown Princess and will do so again at the end of January.

If my room was as bad as the OP claims I would have insisted that it be cleaned as soon as possible. It almost sounds like it wasn't cleaned at all between passengers. As for the Noro virus it is the people not the ship. We will be on the Crown the end of February and have no doubt we will have a great time, however we will make sure to wash our hands and bring disinfectant wipes.

Happy Cruising in 2015 everyone.

If my room was as bad as the OP claims I would have insisted that it be cleaned as soon as possible. It almost sounds like it wasn't cleaned at all between passengers. As for the Noro virus it is the people not the ship. We will be on the Crown the end of February and have no doubt we will have a great time, however we will make sure to wash our hands and bring disinfectant wipes.

Happy Cruising in 2015 everyone.

It may be the people but seems no matter where the Crown sails from it gets noro more than any other ship.:eek:

Bill

My DW and I were on the Crown a few years ago during one of the worst outbreaks. It began a week or two before our cruise and got worse after ours. We did many of the things suggested but still used public restrooms (doors were propped open and we made sure to wash, wash, wash), still pushed elevator buttons, still touched public-space items such as handrails, chair backs, lounge chairs, etc. Fortunately, we did not come down with the dreaded virus. Ever since then, I have followed the Noro Crown Affair with some interest.

While I am sure a ship cannot be a carrier of anything but people, a lone vermin, and the occasional bad comedian, when looking for a cruise the first thing I rule out is any itinerary that has a Crown on its head(ing). :D

We were also on the 12/20 sailing and on Emerald deck. Our room was spotless. I even noted that we had a new shower curtain. You must have been in a different part of Emerald deck with a different steward. I agree your room sounds awful!

I won't sanitize after washing my hands thoroughly either. That alcohol based sanitizer doesn't kill virus germs and you might actually catch noro by touching the machine. I think you need to take the course on infection control.

oh my my it is you that needs a course on infection control you do not have to touch the machine to dispense the solution and we wonder why it can,t be controlled with thoughts like yours

Astonishingly, they've engineered a cruise-ship-strength version of Purell. It has a couple of adjuvants that make it work against non-enveloped virus like Norwalk. The difference in kill goes from a 7% reduction to a 99.95%

Noro isn't just hand-mouth. It can be in contaminated ice, water or food. I wish people would stop blaming the passengers.