Thank you Glory Medical Staff

maxydu

My Dad who is 89 years old but active as a 75 year old was cruising on the Glory 2 weeks ago when he fell ill. He had trouble breathing one evening and

woke not being able to breathe. He was taken to the infirmary where the Dr.

assessed him and immediately sedated him and put him on a respirator.

Because of the respirator the US Coast Guard was unable to airlift him back to

Miami. They were on the last sea day with the boat scheduled to dock in approx. 24 hours. Well, the Captain put it in the wind and they arrived back in Miami at 2:30am. He was met by an ambulance and taken to U of Miami Hospital where he was treated in the CCU. Turns out he had a heart attack and his lungs were full of fluid. The medical care was superb and he is now off the respirator and recovering.

The Dr. on the Glory saved his life. He has a long road till recovery but at least has a chance. My wife and I will be on the Glory Dec. 6, 2014 and I'm looking forward to meeting and thanking the Dr. who cared for Dad.

This now turns into another thread concerning the purchase of travel insurance. Dad did not have any. Instead, his traveling companion gave the ship my Dads credit card which was billed for almost $6,000. Sure his life was worth more than that but had he purchased insurance like I requested him to do, the incident would have been covered. I'm not sure what would have taken place if his companion refused to give the ship Dad's card.

Moral of this story is the medical staff's on Carnival are excellent but if you don't have insurance be prepared to pay before you debark......

I am so glad to hear how well cared for your was.

I always shake my head when I read where someone posts that they have been on X number of cruises and have never needed travel insurance. Well, you never need it until you do. It is such a small price to pay. Imagine how much more than $6,000 it would have been if he had to be flown from an island?

Well wishes to your dad.

Edited by Butterbean1000