CATS on Oasis

drdaddy

We were on the Transatlantic on the Oasis this past October. I thought I would mention a couple of things about the CATS production.

If you do not know the story, I would recommend reading a little about it. We had no real inkling as to the story. After we got home, it all made sense.

I mention this because I just saw a professional production of the show on PBS. Let me tell you. The production on board was EVERY bit as good as the professional version, right down to the scenery, choreography, costumes, and makeup. I even thought that Deuteronomy and the tall skinny cat (I can't remember his name) were BETTER on the ship!

After you see the ship's performance, you understand all the aggravation it caused for some people. It is definitely worthwhile if not a little ambitious. Maybe a little long but that IS the show. I am not sure on a Caribbean cruise it is something some people want.

JMHO

Thanks for the info. Cats gets a bad rap for the lip-synching. There's really now way to do all those acrobatics (catrobatics?) while singing live. So while theater-goers are used to live performances, Cats traditionally has been done with lip-synching (except for the song "Memory"). While it's sad to see live entertainment reduced, some people enjoy the show. Yes, it makes no sense, and is does not really have a plot. The main memorable song ("Memory") was not even written for the show, but added in later. Still many people enjoy the show. It's sad to see the live singing eliminated, but hopefully, they will replace Cats with a show with live entertainment in the future. NCL and most of the other RCL ships still have shows with live singing (not lip-synching) so there are some good alternatives. If you do go see Cats, enjoy it for what it is. There is no real plot, and the singing is generally not live, but it can still be entertaining.

Yeah "cruise ship professional" which is always great but sometimes not as great as on land :)

No.

Shows on Oasis and Allure use Actor's Equity professionals who are experienced Broadway and West End performers. Levels above the usual cruise ship entertainers.

Yes. Very much so.

My husband and I had seen the Broadway touring company production of CATS and thought the show and cast on the Oasis was equally as good. I really can't state enough how impressed I was by the quality of the production and the talent of the performers. Memory at the end brought me to tears...it was that good.

I don't understand why Royal Caribbean doesn't print a short "Playbill" that lists the characters, the songs, and provides a brief synopsis. It seems to me that would help with one of the problems, which is that many people don't understand the story, and it really isn't something you can pick up just by watching.

Royal Caribbean has a lot invested in the show. I hope they're able to make it work. It will never be as popular as some of the more mainstream "sing-along" musicals, but I enjoyed it immensely and a lot of people aren't even trying it.