Princess transfer Seattle airport to Vancouver ship and return

MSBerliner

We are doing a B2B to Alaska next year. Those experienced cruisers who have used Princess transfer from SEATAC (Seattle airport) to the ship in Vancouver BC and those who have used Princess transfer from the ship in Vancouver to the Seattle airport, please tell us about your experiences.

I believe there are two methods of transfer, one by airplane from Seattle airport to the Vancouver airport. then by bus to the ship (and vice-versa) and one by bus directly from the Seattle airport to the ship in Vancouver ( and vice-versa).

Our current thought is to use the direct bus/ship method. Is this possible in both directions and is this what you have done/would do???

Many thanks in advance.

We arranged our own bus transfer from Seattle to Vancouver and it was very easy. One time we caught the bus at the airport, another time we did a hotel pick up - the Quick Shuttle, at that time, did a few hotel pick ups on the way to Vancouver. They also do transfers in reverse. Here is the link: http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm. If you are at all nervous, I think Princess uses the same company, but they will make your arrangements for you and of course charge for that, it may be worth it to you.

We flew into YVR, but my parents flew to SEA. They used the railroad and said the views were fantastic and that it was very easy to catch a cab to the port once they arrived in Vancouver. It was about 4 hour ride. I just checked the AMTRAK site, the pricing round trip it was as little as $68 each (I selected Sat-Sat in June 2015) and got this info:

From Vancouver, British Columbia to Seattle, Portland and Eugene, Oregon, past Mount St. Helens and across the Columbia River Gorge, you'll witness some of our continent's most distinctive cities and most spectacular natural attractions.

Onboard these sleek, European-style trains, you'll enjoy wide, reclining seats, laptop outlets and bike racks. Relax in the Bistro Car, which features fresh, regional cuisine, wine, microbrews, and the coffees Seattle made famous.

To truly experience the luxury of travel on Amtrak Cascades, book a seat in the Business Class. You'll enjoy priority boarding and deboarding, wider seats with more legroom, a quieter car with fewer passengers, and complimentary newspapers.

For current news and information on Amtrak Cascades — including Bistro menus, and special promotions — please visit AmtrakCascades.com.

Alaska is amazing and full of wonder-ENJOY!

We took the Amtrak Cascades from Seattle to Vancouver two years ago. The train leaves Seattle at 7:45am and is due at Vancouver at 11:45am. We were delayed by construction on the bridge entering Vancouver for about a half hour. Customs/aImmigration was handled while we were on the train and we just picked up our checked bags at the end of the platform. Quickly got a cab to the pier, checked in and boarded and were ready for lunch before 1:00. There were some nice views from the train :). The $41 seats were just fine. I wouldn't spend $63 for Business class seats.

The train is not very feasible for returning to Seattle because the trains depart Vancouver at 6:39am and 5:35pm. Amtrak does run buses at other times during the day that would work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

We have used Princess transfers both directions.

On our first Alaska Cruisetour the cruise ended in Vancouver. We had Princess transfers by bus from the ship to the Seattle Airport. Luggage was collected the night before disembarkation. At disembarkation the luggage was loaded directly onto the bus; we boarded the bus with our disembarkation group. The bus went directly to the Seattle Airport; the border crossing through customs was quick and easy. No one needed to exit the bus at the border.

Our second Alaska Cruisetour started in Vancouver. We did the Princess transfer from Seattle Airport directly to the ship. The buses did not leave the airport as early as we would have liked. We all had to exit the bus and go through Canadian customs on foot and the re-board the bus. I guess this is a hit or miss routine. We arrived at the ship after the main rush of passengers and quickly went through the embarkation process.

As others have pointed out, there are other options, but the Princess transfers worked for us.

In 2013 we took the Princess shuttle from SeaTac to the Sapphire Princess in Vancouver and did the return as well. We arrived in Seattle the day before and stayed at a hotel with free shuttle service to and from the airport. Be sure you are dropped off at baggage claims or it's a long walk. There was no delay going through customs. We enjoyed the bus ride. And it was nice not having to worry about our luggage until it was delivered to our cabin.

We would have LOVED to fly into Vancouver. But at the time, airfare was way high. I think $800+ coach roundtrip from JFK. Happily, we were able to use our frequent flier miles for the trip. A no-brainer!

800 bucks WOW ! That is definitely significant. Just for kicks, I just ran the same trip using United Airlines and Dec 9 departure Dec 18 return as an example, and their website came up with: JFK/YVR rt $1583 and JFK/SEA $1440 ... difference of $143 (2 persons , return , economy). That is somewhat nearer to what I would have expected. And, that price could probably be beaten using Bookit, Expedia, etc, etc. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration any loyalty miles LOL.:D

...VTX-Al

We have used the Princess transfers from SeaTac to the pier in Vancouver and back several times and do recommend them. As stated before, have the hotel shuttle (fly into SeaTac the day before) drop you at baggage claim. The buses used were comfortable, the trip was scenic, customs was a snap, and the luggage showed up in our stateroom on the ship.

The flights for us are significantly less expensive when going into SeaTac, we can use the airline we normally choose, hotels around SeaTac are reasonably priced most of the time - it they are not we use points to stay.

We checked with our TA today. There IS a direct, non-stop flight from our town to Vancouver. We'll take that, then a less expensive Princess bus to the ship (and return). I had in mind our experience from several years ago, change planes in Seattle. That's another possibility of error and lost time. Don't want that. Many thanks to all for your gracious input.

Just curious - why would you choose to fly into SeaTac (Seattle) instead of direct to YVR (Vancouver) for an Alaska cruise out of Van. ?":confused:

...VTX-Al

Avoid at all cost the Vancouver airport...it is a nightmare to navigate, long walks, poor signage surly arrogant customs agents.....

Probably the worst airport experience I have ever had in 30 years of travel.... Id sooner under go a root canal than fly in or out of Vancouver

Sea Tac is smooth THe train is too. The one advantage of the train is there can be long waits at the US /Canadian border... this is avoided b rail

Friends don't let friends fly into Vancouver

For Hawaiidan,

YVR #1 Airport in North America – Skytrax World Airport Awards (2010-2014)

For five consecutive years, Vancouver International Airport (YVR) has been named Best Airport in North America. YVR also ranked ninth worldwide – the only airport in North America to land in the top 10.

1. YVR Named #1 Airport in North America for the Fifth Consecutive Year

Read the link below:

http://yvr.ca/en/flight-information/latest-information/14-03-26/YVR_Named_1_Airport_in_North_America_for_the_Fifth_Consecutive_Year.aspx

2. VANCOUVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT RANKED NORTH AMERICA’S “LEAST FRUSTRATING”

Link here:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/11/vancouver-international-airport-ranked-north-americas-least-frustrating/

3. Further, read this link for more World-Wide, North America, and Canada rankings for Vancouver:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/meetings/why-vancouver/award-winning-city/

Cheers, and keep smiling,

Mike

We have used the Princess Transfers from/to Sea-Tac and Vancouver many times.. As recently as October.. We live locally,but don't enjoy getting up too early..so, stayed at the Radisson Hotel just across the street from the airport.. Hotel shuttle dropped us right in front of the door where Princess was checking in bus passengers…South end of baggage claim..There were 6 buses that day..your luggage is stowed underneath, on your bus..you take only what you need for the trip up top with you..the baggage compartment is sealed until we reach the border.. most of the time you don't have to get your luggage, but you will likely have to get off the bus and walk through Canadian customs with anything you are carrying up top.. sometimes you get lucky and they come on board and check passports..that's it. It is a nice trip, comfortable buses, a couple of restroom stops (there is a restroom on board the bus as well).. The bus unloads you at Canada Place.. a porter takes your luggage to the ship and you are on your way to security and check-in.. You can take a nap on the way or read a book.. the scenery is lovely and your driver will probably give you a mini tour as you enter Canada.. they are all Canadian and justly proud of their home.. I learn something new every trip..

I would think the reviews are done by persons with an interest in Vancouver

All I can say honestly, it took me 3 hours just to change planes and at every turn was a problem. Even the US custom agent who I asked id this pace really that bad....his reply was " you don't know the half of it".

I know I will never go back after the horrible experience.... sorry but that's what I experienced ( and I am a very experienced international traveler from Warsaw to Kuala Lumpur)