Help build a SEARCHABLE/SORTABLE Cabin Compilation database!

dstein

In another posting today someone asked about the availability of a searchable version of the Cabin Compilation thread. There's no doubt that we need this - but creating one is a daunting task for a single individual. However, if many of us band together, we should be able to build a complete database within a few days, tops. Knowing the passion of folks on this board, we could be done in a few hours!! :p

I'm looking for volunteers to help compile data to a public Google Docs spreadsheet located online. Click here to access the Royal Caribbean Cabin Compilation Database.

There are currently 26 pages of cabin reviews in the thread - if 25 people each take responsibility for 1 page of the thread and transcribe the 20 (or fewer) reviews on that page into the spreadsheet we'll have a great new way to quickly find cabin data! I've already completed transferring the data from the first page of the thread. Now it's your turn!

If you want to help, please go to the spreadsheet and add your name to the "List of Contributors" tab showing which page(s) you intend to transcribe. This will alert others as to which pages are already spoken for and avoid duplication of effort.

Doug

Great idea.

I'll do page 3.

On the spreadsheet, could we maybe edit to be a tab for each ship?

Thanks for starting it off,

Raina

Page 3 is done!

And don't stress everyone. It IS on auto save!

Raina

Edited by AussieVisi2r

On the spreadsheet, could we maybe edit to be a tab for each ship?

My suggestion would be to not have separate tabs. If you wanted to focus on a single ship, you can either sort the list by ship name, or use the filter to limit the display to just the ship that interested you.

Conversely, by having everything in one table you could also focus on the same stateroom across multiple ships easily. For example, if someone wanted to know about cabin 8088 on Radiance OTS it may turn out that someone wrote about that cabin on a /different/ Radiance-class ship...in which case you could find it w/o having to search multiple tabs! :p

dstein - thanks for doing this.

I completed page 5, I do have two suggestions.

1 - add a date posted field so the age of the posting is known to the viewer.

2 - add the post number from cc for data consistency - just in case of any mix ups.

Just my two cents, thanks for doing this.

I completed page 5, I do have two suggestions.

1 - add a date posted field so the age of the posting is known to the viewer.

2 - add the post number from cc for data consistency - just in case of any mix ups.

Just my two cents, thanks for doing this.

Great ideas! I added a new column for posting date. If any prior contributors want to go back and add this that would be great. If not, this can be something a future contributor can do - go back and fix up the missing data.

For #2, the column labeled "Original Link" had been intended for the purpose of posting the link back to the review...but I see now that how to capture that link isn't obvious to everyone, and some appear to have used it to post links to pictures. (FWIW: if you right-click on the post # at the upper right of each posting you can use your browser's link copy function to cut/paste. On Firefox, the menu item is labeled "Copy Link Location".)

Great project!

In the next day or so I hope to be able to help.

I completed page 5, I do have two suggestions...

2 - add the post number from cc for data consistency - just in case of any mix ups....

This will also help to determine that all of the source postings are accounted for.

Authors: be aware that, since this is a live, SHARED document, actions by others can impact you. In particular, if someone puts a filter into place while you are working on data input you can find that the rows you were working on suddenly get hidden. That can be disconcerting, to say the least! :) You can either change the filter back to what you need (no doubt confusing the other user) or give the other person some time to do their research and THEN change the filter back.

I'm going to play around with a feature called "Filter Views" which apparently allow a user to filter w/o impacting anyone else.

jc..........Happy Thanksgiving to your lovely bride and you.

I'm not taking any pages..........just headed out for a Thanksgiving cruise!

Rick

Have a great cruise Rick. You need to join us on one of the cruises in my sig... since you are retired, and I am sticking breaking rocks...:D

jc

Ok it is thanksgiving eve... just watched my Tarheels get destroyed by a lesser athletic team and clicked on this thread and then clicked on your google sheet. I am not normally that dense, but I really don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but what is the point. Can't you figure most of the stuff you are posting by just looking at the deck plans? Go blast away, I always appreciate effort (which my Tar Heels failed to offer today) and enjoy, but I just don't quite get it...

YMMV and JMHO

jc

Ok it is thanksgiving eve... just watched my Tarheels get destroyed by a lesser athletic team and clicked on this thread and then clicked on your google sheet. I am not normally that dense, but I really don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but what is the point. Can't you figure most of the stuff you are posting by just looking at the deck plans? Go blast away, I always appreciate effort (which my Tar Heels failed to offer today) and enjoy, but I just don't quite get it...

YMMV and JMHO

jc

Do you still have my email address? Or shoot me yours......CC is strange about TA's.

Rick

YMMV and JMHO

jc

JC:

Not sure if you peruse the Cabin Compilation thread which is the first sticky posting on the first page of the forum? Many folks have contributed what is currently 26 pages of postings describing their experience with specific cabins. Many folks - me, included - find that information difficult to consume. With the forum's limited search functions, answering any of these questions is pretty difficult:

• Which cabins on Oasis have been reviewed?
  • What specific cabins on Radiance-class are quiet?
  • I'm interested in Cabin 8088 on Brilliance...which no one has reviewed. Has anyone reviewed 8088 on ANY of the Radiance-class ships?
  • Are there any pictures posted for <this cabin>?

By organizing into a spreadsheet we'll empower users to share the same information as found in the thread, but in a format that makes finding answers to the above questions a trivial exercise. The answer to any of the above questions would take less than 5 mouse clicks to find.

As you noted, YMMV...but none of the above questions can be answered from deckplans.

-Doug

Hope that makes sense!

Just finished adding contents of pages 7 and 8.

I've also created a number of Filter Views to allow folks to quickly drill down into specific ship classes and specific ships. See the attached file, which shows a screen capture illustrating how to use a Filter View.

UsingFilterViews.jpg.c9f5499de6e5d869452ddb308bc7349f.jpg

• 7 months later...

The spreadsheet up to date as of today.

I do have some suggestions and wish dstein would e-mail me at srice@yahoo.com ASAP.

Additionally I started a cabin review thread on the Princess forum and a spreadsheet compilation. So far it hasn't received sticky status.