Tipping w.no drink package

runner2013

Okay, now I'm confused.

The person who prepared the drink would be the bartender

The person who repairs the slip/receipt would be the bartender

What about the person who comes to you, asks what you want, puts the order in to the bartender, picks up the drink, brings you the drink, gets your slip/receipt to you and returns it to you give them your cabin card?

Who's getting that 15% tip that's added on? The bartender or the server?

Who gets the $1.00 cash tip I give the server?

Thanks,

Harriet

I always thought that if the drink is brought to you, the tip is split between the waiter and bartender. If you're at the bar and getting it directly from bartender, then that person gets the tip. If no drink is present but you're waited on, then the waiter gets it. Then what tips those people get is then dplit up further with busboy/table cleaner and/or staff in the back - but that's a different story/issue.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Okay, now I'm confused.

The person who prepared the drink would be the bartender

The person who repairs the slip/receipt would be the bartender

What about the person who comes to you, asks what you want, puts the order in to the bartender, picks up the drink, brings you the drink, gets your slip/receipt to you and returns it to you give them your cabin card?

Who's getting that 15% tip that's added on? The bartender or the server?

Who gets the $1.00 cash tip I give the server?

Thanks,

Harriet

The person that comes to you and takes your drink order is the person that goes to the bar and enters your drink order and then delivers your drink along with the check that you sign. If you hand them a cash tip, it goes directly in to their pocket. If you add a tip to the check it is reimbursed to them at a later date. You will notice that your servers name is at the top of the check that you sign.

The initial 15% tip goes into a pool to be doled out to the bar "staff" in accordance with their contract and incentive programs.

I always thought that if the drink is brought to you, the tip is split between the waiter and bartender. If you're at the bar and getting it directly from bartender, then that person gets the tip. If no drink is present but you're waited on, then the waiter gets it. Then what tips those people get is then dplit up further with busboy/table cleaner and/or staff in the back - but that's a different story/issue.

The initial 15% is indeed split amongst the staff. Any additional tip goes directly to the server. I am also told that in some of the smaller lounges, such as Star Bar, there are "team" agreements that call for some level of "extra tip" sharing.

The initial 15% tip goes into a pool to be doled out to the bar "staff" in accordance with their contract and incentive programs.

The initial 15% is indeed split amongst the staff. Any additional tip goes directly to the server. I am also told that in some of the smaller lounges, such as Star Bar, there are "team" agreements that call for some level of "extra tip" sharing.

Okay... this is not my understanding of their program. What I understood was that they are each responsible for hitting their own sales targets, and the 15% portions of each bill are what enable them to do so.

Okay... this is not my understanding of their program. What I understood was that they are each responsible for hitting their own sales targets, and the 15% portions of each bill are what enable them to do so.

My information comes directly from a 16+ year bar veteran (recently "retired" so he feels more free to talk). Yes, there are sales goals at certain levels for performance reviews. But, it is not the 15% that is the indicator, it is total sales volumes. There are bartenders that do not ring up a single drink at places like Topsiders (poolside bar) but there is a sales volume number that can be equated to when that bartender was working there.

I usually tip $5 for meal if I'm waited on in Manhattan and the outer boroughs, no matter what price under about $50 since I usually dine alone majority of time. Before anyone goes 'isn't that under 15%' - Remember the tipping policy amount across the entire US is not uniform and varies city / state / region, sometimes neighborhoods, sometimes it is 15% per meal or per person; or $2 per meal or person; or only applies to party of 4 and up plus automatic, etc.. The only thing uniform across the board is the tipping policies for cruise lines since it written down and somewhat enforced, lol.

Not really lots of regional differences. 15% tip is fairly standard in bars & restaurants across the USA. I never heard if $2 per meal or per person. Yes, in larger, more cosmopolitan cities, up from 15% to 20% is more standard. 18-20% is also more standard on large parties and is sometimes added automatically for 8+ people decided by the establishment. However, I know no part of the USA where less than 15% is standard.

If you are tipping $5 on a $50 meal by yourself or with others, that's a sub-standard tip.

Not really lots of regional differences. 15% tip is fairly standard in bars & restaurants across the USA. I never heard if $2 per meal or per person. Yes, in larger, more cosmopolitan cities, up from 15% to 20% is more standard. 18-20% is also more standard on large parties and is sometimes added automatically for 8+ people decided by the establishment. However, I know no part of the USA where less than 15% is standard.

If you are tipping $5 on a $50 meal by yourself or with others, that's a sub-standard tip.

When I was on the BA we paid our DSC and for dinner we left $6 for our meals there were 3 of us. In a restaurant on land it's totally different. We do the 15% - 20% amout. So your saying in a specially restaurant on a ship you still should leave 15% in addition to paying your DSC or am I reading what you said wrong. I don't feel the need to leave the same on ships as land. Also I never ever get up from a table and leave nothing on a ship as some people do.

Considering that most of my meals are under $40 for myself and I don't ask for pocket change (coins) back - tipping $5 plus change is not substandard at the least. You're forgetting the fact that not all of the US is expensive like Manhattan - so paying $2 per person for meal that was $50 altogether for 4 people (roughly $8 in total basically almost equal to 15%) is not uncommon.

Edit- FYI, most restaurants of the outer boroughs of NYC don't follow 15% guideline/rule- it at discretion of diner(s) how they wish to tip, hence the $2-5 guideline/rule.

Edited by maywell

I don't know what "outer borough" you are speaking of. I know of nowhere in the entire US where tipping less than 15% is "standard". I grew up on LI, lived in different parts of PA, NJ, NYC and Brooklyn. I also travel extensively around the US for work and nowhere have I seen a standard of less than 15% except maybe at a buffet or a counter seat at a diner. $5 is not okay on a $40 meal no matter how you might tell yourself it is. $6 is the standard tip on that check. (I would argue because you are alone, taking up a table at a decent restaurant, I would tip 20% as my standard because you are taking up a table typically seated for 2 people with only one. That part is certainly debatable but the 15% really isn't.)

I don't know where you are from or where you are eating but, again, I have never in my life heard of a $2 pp guideline.

Waiters are paid $2.35 an hour. Did you know that? I realize we can debate this practice and say that the restaurant should pay the waiter a living wage not us as the patrons. But, until that happens, a waiter is paid $2.35 with taxes taken out of that. The 15% guideline assures most waiters that they take home minimum wage. Think about what that extra $1 means to you vs. Them the next time you eat out.

When I was on the BA we paid our DSC and for dinner we left $6 for our meals there were 3 of us. In a restaurant on land it's totally different. We do the 15% - 20% amout. So your saying in a specially restaurant on a ship you still should leave 15% in addition to paying your DSC or am I reading what you said wrong. I don't feel the need to leave the same on ships as land. Also I never ever get up from a table and leave nothing on a ship as some people do.

I was speaking about on land only. I personally don't think extra tipping is necessary on a cruise at each meal. When we have a server or bartender we really like, we may hand them a $20 at the end of the cruise. It never occurred to me to leaving $ on the table each night on a cruise ship.

I don't know what "outer borough" you are speaking of. I know of nowhere in the entire US where tipping less than 15% is "standard". I grew up on LI, lived in different parts of PA, NJ, NYC and Brooklyn. I also travel extensively around the US for work and nowhere have I seen a standard of less than 15% except maybe at a buffet or a counter seat at a diner. $5 is not okay on a $40 meal no matter how you might tell yourself it is. $6 is the standard tip on that check. (I would argue because you are alone, taking up a table at a decent restaurant, I would tip 20% as my standard because you are taking up a table typically seated for 2 people with only one. That part is certainly debatable but the 15% really isn't.)

I don't know where you are from or where you are eating but, again, I have never in my life heard of a $2 pp guideline.

Waiters are paid $2.35 an hour. Did you know that? I realize we can debate this practice and say that the restaurant should pay the waiter a living wage not us as the patrons. But, until that happens, a waiter is paid $2.35 with taxes taken out of that. The 15% guideline assures most waiters that they take home minimum wage. Think about what that extra $1 means to you vs. Them the next time you eat out.

You say you lived in NYC, then how heck do you not know about the outer boroughs of Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx, and Brooklyn? Those boroughs are alot less expensive than Manhattan and don't usually follow the 15% rule. You say you lived in NJ, LI and PA too then you should some parts of those places don't follow the 15% either and the diner can tip according if they want. Like I said not everywhere is expensive as Manhattan and meals are way cheaper out there - you can feed 4-6 people for about $50 at an restaurant that is not in Manhattan.

Again your acting like 15% is a steadfast rule in the US land restaurants - no it is not, it guideline to making sure the waitstaff is receiving their fair share. You seem to forgotten that fair share in NYC is not same as fair share in Alabama or any other state when it comes to dining out and tipping.

I will gladly send you a list of restaurants in Manhattan where a single person can dine for less than $35 with a 3 course meal still be waited on. Heck I give you places where a party of 2 can dine for less $40 in Manhattan. Few of them are literally near Manhattan pier plus Zagat and/or Michelin rated.

I meant I have no idea what outer borough you are speaking of that has a less than 15% rule! Duh. Not that I don't know what an outer borough is. I know it must make you feel better to believe it but Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and SI most certainly do not have a tipping rule of less than 15%. Yes, in many cases the restaurants are cheaper than those in NYC but the tipping standard doesn't go down.

I am not sure why you want to send me list of restaurants where I can eat for less than $40?!?! What is the point? No one is doubting that. If you are smart, you can eat well for even less than that. That has nothing to do with tipping.

I am acting like 15% is a steadfast rule across the US because IT IS!!!! Methinks you may have created some other rules to make yourself feel better about being a cheap tipper!

- you can feed 4-6 people for about $50 at an restaurant that is not in Manhattan.

Now I want to know where I can go to feed that many people for about $50 in Queens! I live in the Forest Hills/Rego Park area; when my husband and I go out for dinner, even what we consider a cheap one, we spend at least $75! Send me that list!

I meant I have no idea what outer borough you are speaking of that has a less than 15% rule! Duh. Not that I don't know what an outer borough is. I know it must make you feel better to believe it but Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and SI most certainly do not have a tipping rule of less than 15%. Yes, in many cases the restaurants are cheaper than those in NYC but the tipping standard doesn't go down.

I am not sure why you want to send me list of restaurants where I can eat for less than $40?!?! What is the point? No one is doubting that. If you are smart, you can eat well for even less than that. That has nothing to do with tipping.

I am acting like 15% is a steadfast rule across the US because IT IS!!!! Methinks you may have created some other rules to make yourself feel better about being a cheap tipper!

There is no steadfast tipping policy for US, there is one for cruise lines but not one across the board for the US. There's a general guideline on the amount but no hard rule for to actually follow. I have no problems tipping for $40 meal for myself and telling the staff to keep the change as well nor any issues tipping for group of 11 when my family dines out- so you can call me whatever the bleep you like; the waitstaff are all smiles when they see the amount on the receipt or in their hand from me and know I'll return back to dine with them again.

Now I want to know where I can go to feed that many people for about $50 in Queens! I live in the Forest Hills/Rego Park area; when my husband and I go out for dinner, even what we consider a cheap one, we spend at least $75! Send me that list!

I'm not familiar with Forest hills / Rego Park but I know a couple places in Main Street-Flushing where you can feed 2 for less than $40 and still be waited on.

Edited by maywell

Whatever makes you feel better!

Still not sure what cost has to do with anything? Standard tipping is 15%

You can eat cheaply and well both within and outside NYC if you know where to go. But, again, that's not the point.

Likewise and whatever at this point *rollseyes*

I'm not familiar with Forest hills / Rego Park but I know a couple places in Main Street-Flushing where you can feed 2 for less than $40 and still be waited on.

Ah yeah. There's always Jackson Diner for some of the best Indian food! Super cheap too!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ah yeah. There's always Jackson Diner for some of the best Indian food! Super cheap too!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well there's the rest of the 7 line that's good for cheap eats and waiter service too, lol.

15%. Oh geez. 18% minimum

In the boroughs the suburbs the city.

Now maybe up in the sticks of Columbia county it might be different... But then again I hear that some rather well known chefs and some Wall Street biggies live up that way..... Some elegant restaurants up there I hear

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Ah, yes, that mythical, far away land of Queens where, for inexplicable reasons, 10% tipping is standard.

Because once again, not all places follow the 15% tipping guideline due to meals costing $50 for 6 people or $20 for 2 people, because the prices for some restaurants are low. Remember most restaurant prices are usually about $10-25 for individual plates / platters / meals and set combo prices of $20-50 for 4 people. So if want to be seen as generous tipper in places like that, the minimum is $2 per person and the max is whatever you feel like, for example $50 meal in Spanish restaurant for 6 in the Bronx, with the 15% tipping its about $9, with the 10% tipping its $5; and with the $2 minimum its $12 - any of those are fine but the $2 minimum makes you look better.

Again the 15% tipping is guideline in the US, its not a steadfast permanent rule due to the fact that some parts of the US are low income or lower cost of living henceforth why some restaurants with waitstaff in those areas are cheap places to eat; so paying $3-5 tip for a $40 meal is not seen as wrong. You may see it as wrong but then again you don't have to eat there, so why the heck do you care anyway about a Queens restaurant taking a 10% tip on a $100 meal. *shrug*

I am unclear what you mean by "my supposed clientele area"? If you are referring to my travel business, I do not have a "supposed clientele area". I mostly work on-line and have clients all over the US. In my day job, I travel pretty extensively. And, again, know of nowhere where less than 15% is standard. And, no, I have never heard of a pp $ amount as a tip. It makes no sense really unless it is a buffet type place. I should tip,the same if I eat $10 worth of food or $100?!?!

I would bet you that if you polled people all over this country and asked what they consider a standard tip in a restaurant, a very high % would say 15%. Now, they may be cheapos and actually tip less, but most people in the US have a fairly accepted standard of 15%.

I care because 1) you are wrong and 2) you are giving poor, hardworking people less than you should. Just because they take it and are happy to get anything doesn't mean you should be a tightwad.

Edited by conandrob240

$8 on a $50 meal is okay. $5 on a $50 check is not. One is just over the standard US tip of 15%. One is significantly less. That's why it's not okay. It is LESS than the standard 15%.

Forget about how many people eating and forget about this silly $2 pp rule you made up.

Next time you eat out, just please ask yourself if that $1 means more to them than to you. I'll bet it really, really does.

$8 on a $50 meal is okay. $5 on a $50 check is not. One is just over the standard US tip of 15%. One is significantly less. That's why it's not okay. It is LESS than the standard 15%.

Forget about how many people eating and forget about this silly $2 pp rule you made up.

Next time you eat out, just please ask yourself if that $1 means more to them than to you. I'll bet it really, really does.

Oh yeah, bust my chops for paying a $35 something tab for one with $41 or $20 something tab for 2 with $24-25 and telling the waiter to keep the .99 change or whatever left. Rarely does my food and/or drink tab goes up to $50 or even $40 when I'm dining alone; which is why I said 'less'. But since you're so hung up with the 15% math and not actual circumstances nor where a person is dining out - of course, you missed the whole point /picture. But whatever, I still think you're lousy in math nor would I want to be your client now for this and I know everyone else on the thread probably disagrees regarding my opinion of you. So whatever, you go ahead and pay your 15% tip of $50 for two and I will gladly pay my $2 per person tip for $24 meal for 4 people. C'est vie.