Oriana Update: dancing still okay but some other standards falling !

Slow Foxtrot

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is "sequence dancing"? Is it like line dancing or is it just another name for ballroom dancing? I'm afraid my OH has two left feet :rolleyes: so just have to get up and jiggle about :D

BTW, I love Strictly. I thought Simon Webbe was brilliant last night.

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is "sequence dancing"? Is it like line dancing or is it just another name for ballroom dancing? I'm afraid my OH has two left feet :rolleyes: so just have to get up and jiggle about :D

BTW, I love Strictly. I thought Simon Webbe was brilliant last night.

The post by Prefdavid on page 2 is a good summation. Basically they are a strict sequence of steps over a short period that allow a lot of couples on the floor all doing the same steps at the same time. The problem for beginners, particularly with Ballroom dancing, is that people charge around the floor completely ignoring the line of dance. Sequence gets round that. Good Ballroom and Latin dancers can make Sequence look quite good.

Simon Webbe has had great performances over the last 3 weeks. His Argentine Tango was fantastic. The Waltz is a difficult dance technically and he did do very well last night. He'll be hard pushed to beat Pixie though.

Edited by dgs1956

The post by Prefdavid on page 2 is a good summation. Basically they are a strict sequence of steps over a short period that allow a lot of couples on the floor all doing the same steps at the same time. The problem for beginners, particularly with Ballroom dancing, is that people charge around the floor completely ignoring the line of dance. Sequence gets round that. Good Ballroom and Latin dancers can make Sequence look quite good.

Simon Webbe has had great performances over the last 3 weeks. His Argentine Tango was fantastic. The Waltz is a difficult dance technically and he did do very well last night. He'll be hard pushed to beat Pixie though.

Thanks dgs1956 :) I think I understand it. I'm afraid we are of the shuffle round the floor brigade, so I suppose sequence would not suit us.

I am still trying to decide between P&O and Thomson for the Caribbean, so all info is useful. We usually go to the show in the evening after dinner, so this probably wouldn't affect us, but I think we are more like Len and Mrs Len and would prefer something a bit more "freestyle" I guess, though that Ventura and Azura are a bit more casual, especially in the Caribbean?

Re Strictly, I think Pixie and Frankie are likely winners :)

Thanks dgs1956 :) I think I understand it. I'm afraid we are of the shuffle round the floor brigade, so I suppose sequence would not suit us.

I am still trying to decide between P&O and Thomson for the Caribbean, so all info is useful. We usually go to the show in the evening after dinner, so this probably wouldn't affect us, but I think we are more like Len and Mrs Len and would prefer something a bit more "freestyle" I guess, though that Ventura and Azura are a bit more casual, especially in the Caribbean?

Re Strictly, I think Pixie and Frankie are likely winners :)

We love the Azura in the Carribean. Next cruise is 27th December. It is more casual.

Frankie is doing well. Kevin Clifton is a wonderful dancer. We have been lucky enough to see him and Janette dance as well as Ian Waite and Natalie Lowe and also Aljaz and Karen. Absolutely fantastic. It does sound like you should take up dancing BTW. A great hobby.

We love the Azura in the Carribean. Next cruise is 27th December. It is more casual.

Frankie is doing well. Kevin Clifton is a wonderful dancer. We have been lucky enough to see him and Janette dance as well as Ian Waite and Natalie Lowe and also Aljaz and Karen. Absolutely fantastic. It does sound like you should take up dancing BTW. A great hobby.

I did learn some ballroom dancing when I was at school (many moons ago) but as I say DH has two left feet :D

On our recent cruise on Aurora we had a sequence dance teachers (couple) & a ballroom dance teachers(also a couple). The important thing about dancing teaching on board is that the teachers are enthusiastic and take control of the evening dances to ensure that everyone gets a chance ( beginners & more experienced). We've had good & less good teachers. The best without doubt have been Simon & Julie Curtin.

Another factor is the ability/ enthusiasm of the ends officers to take up singles. On our last cruise, unfortunately norovirus was suspected & ship's company (inc. nets officers) were discouraged from coming into contact with passengers ( so no partners for singles).

Steve

Really think the point is one of an age thing. I am 63, as is my wife. We have cruised for 7 years now. We have travelled the world, but enjoy a good night in any Weatherspoon's.

I find drinking out of a bottle, in my eye, very loutish. As is ladies drinking pints.

Now I know probably most people under the age of forty think that is pathetic and old fashioned. I have no problem with people doing it, but that's what I think. Wouldn't dream of saying anything or even commenting on it, but as we are all talking about it well......

Any body who has cruised with us will probably have thought the four of us are often loud and possibly a touch over the top. So I am not going to through standards at anybody.

Each to his own.

I Korea I was drinking with Business Colleagues who could buy and sell P and O and and they were drinking out of the bottle. I wasn't tho....��

Stay happy everybody

Aw come on, I am 58 and I drink pints, when it's hot and I'm thirsty. Why shouldn't I? Who on earth is any man to tell me not? You don't approve, tough. Women do what they want.

Quite right Jonjo. Anyone offended by someone drinking beer from a bottle has lost the plot. I can't honestly believe anyone would notice or care. This ranks alongside the comments about men removing their jackets at dinner and loosening their bowties, neither of which I do but couldn't care less if anyone else does.

One time in America (it had to be the USA :) ) I ordered a Bud with my meal. The waiter asked me if I wanted a glass; a quick look round at the other tables (not a fast food establishment) showed me that just about everyone was drinking straight from the bottle, so I declined the glass and followed the flow.

Aw come on, I am 58 and I drink pints, when it's hot and I'm thirsty. Why shouldn't I? Who on earth is any man to tell me not? You don't approve, tough. Women do what they want.

If you read my post, I said that's what I think, I also said I have no problems with people doing it. Stay calm I wouldn't dream of telling anybody what to do, man or woman.😄

Am in the doghouse with Mrs 1160451 now. Wish I had kept my thoughts to myself......

we all say that sometimes, but keeping thoughts to oneself defeats the purpose of discussion.

We may not agree with each others posts, or opinions, but at least most of us discuss them in a nice mature way.

Some on the other hand.......

Keep the opinion's and thoughts flowing;;;;

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers

Sorry to hear you are in trouble with Mrs 1160451 - perhaps now is not the time to tell her you have booked her in for a crash course of disco dancing on your next cruise!!

Seriously though - your opinions are just as important and valid as all ours, so keep them coming. :)

Sorry to hear you are in trouble with Mrs 1160451 - perhaps now is not the time to tell her you have booked her in for a crash course of disco dancing on your next cruise!!

Seriously though - your opinions are just as important and valid as all ours, so keep them coming. :)

Neither Mr or Mrs 1160451 need dancing lessons. We've seen them in action and they are excellent dancers........ and good company as well. :)

Neither Mr or Mrs 1160451 need dancing lessons. We've seen them in action and they are excellent dancers........ and good company as well. :)

I said Disco dancing as a bit of fun 'cos I read his earlier posts about them having done lots of the proper stuff.

But I guess all you dancers can turn your hand - or your feet - to anything.

Edited by Scriv

I said Disco dancing as a bit of fun 'cos I read his earlier posts about them having done lots of the proper stuff.

But I guess all you dancers can turn your hand - or your feet - to anything.

Do you not dance? Its a great hobby especially good for cruises.

Hi everybody. Great on the Azura wasn't it. Nearly 12 months ago, doesn't time fly. It's great sometimes to revert to the dancing we grew up with, what we call jigging about. Fred Olsen in January and they have Dance Hosts.

Happy Cruising evetybody......

Hi everybody. Great on the Azura wasn't it. Nearly 12 months ago, doesn't time fly. It's great sometimes to revert to the dancing we grew up with, what we call jigging about. Fred Olsen in January and they have Dance Hosts.

Happy Cruising evetybody......

We are back on Azura on 27 December. Apparently we have to dance around the Chrimbo Tree. We've never tried Fred Olson yet. We are on the Britannia in October for a back to back. No doubt we'll meet up again some time. David

This will be my 1st cruise, but I've been lucky enough to travel widely and stay in some of the best hotels in the world. I was amazed by this comment. While drinking beer from a bottle at the table may be a bit of a faux pas; standing at a bar, are you serious? This happens everywhere, even waiting for a table at a Michelin Star restaurant. If you really wanted to be snooty, drinking beer from a mug could be seen as working class.

Perhaps the habit of drinking beer from a bottle came into common usage as a deterrant to having Some vile pill/ substance/ dropped/ slipped into your glass in nightclubs.. My now 40-and 50 year old Kids often told me about this actually happening to people we new quite well.

What does it matter anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!