Trent, Hotel Guru, Help!

liv2cruise4ever

Boy, you are a busy man....

Well, if you don't mind, I have a few questions on hotels in FLL.

Here is our needs. 2 rooms for Dec 2. Never tried priceline and am a little nervous with getting 2 rooms in the same place.

We would like a nice hotel with a nice pool area. We will be arriving at 7 am. I know, I know, slim to nil chance of checking in that early....

What is your honest opinion of Tropi Rock? How far from FLL and port? Cab fares?

How about Pelican Beach Resort? Distance again? Cab fares?

Ideas? :D

Thank you so much for any advice you have,

liv2cruise4ever

I'm not really familiar with TropiRock. I know there have been a few people on here who have had good things to say about it, but I've never been in it myself. It's an older, small hotel and is run by the couple who own it as I understand. It's a couple of blocks from the beach in an area filled with small older mom & pop motels.

The new tower at Pelican Beach is absolutely gorgeous! Pelican Beach is directly on the beach with a nice pool and a lazy river ride. There's an old tower, and the new tower. I would only recommend the new tower.

Pelican Beach is only a couple of minutes farther from the port and FLL than TropiRock. It's about 20 minutes from FLL and someone on here who stayed at Pelican Beach last month said the cab fare was about $25. It would be slightly less to TropiRock, but not very much. It's about 10 minutes to the SE 17th Street entrance of Port Everglades.

If you want someplace in Fort Lauderdale with great pools you may also consider Marriott Harbor Beach, directly on the nicest part of Fort Lauderdale Beach... http://www.marriottharborbeach.com/

Or Hyatt Pier 66, on the Intracoastal Waterway, with it's own Water Taxi stop... http://pier66.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

Those two are closer to both FLL and Port Everglades. They're about 10-12 minutes from FLL and 3-5 minutes from the SE 17th Street entrance to Port Everglades.

TrentS

Thank you so much for all of your personal and professional opinions. You have helped many of us cruisers and we all are very lucky that your on these boards.

If your ever in the best part of CA. That is the north, and need any advice on the wine country, outdoor activities, restaurants, hotels, etc, feel free to ask. I'd be glad to help.

So for us, so far its between Pelican, Riverside, or tropiRock. Any one that you'd lean toward?

Thanks again! :D

i was at pelican beach this past july. we were there for a weekend. it is by far the nicest hotel we've ever been to and we've spent pre and post cruise at many other excellent hotels in florida.

the cab fare from the airport was 21.00. we had a suite on the 10th floor and it was awesome. the pool is small but they also have a lazy river. we ate most of our meals in the restaurant. the food was great and the prices were better!!! there is also an old fashioned ice cream shop there. they have a wrap around veranda with rocking chairs overlooking the beach.

did i mention that they have their own beach??!! we will definitely return...if i had to make 2 small comments....

1. make sure you're in the new building....there is an older building.....YIKES!!!

2. the facilites are gorgeous but on the small side.....we would never go there during any holiday. december 2 is still early. i don't think it will be booked.

WE LOVED THE PLACE!!!

If you want to be on the beach I'd go with Pelican Beach's new tower (the new tower is the pretty one you see on their website, they don't show the old one - I wouldn't either LOL, make sure you're in the new one if you stay there)

If you want to be in the middle of an area filled with nice, more upscale shops and restaurants all within easy walking distance then go with Riverside's new tower (Riverside has an old "classic" wing that's not for everyone, and a new modern tower with nice views)

• 1 month later...
If you want to be on the beach I'd go with Pelican Beach's new tower (the new tower is the pretty one you see on their website, they don't show the old one - I wouldn't either LOL, make sure you're in the new one if you stay there)

If you want to be in the middle of an area filled with nice, more upscale shops and restaurants all within easy walking distance then go with Riverside's new tower (Riverside has an old "classic" wing that's not for everyone, and a new modern tower with nice views)

TrentS, just thought I'd let you know that we did book the Riverside, in the new tower. Thanks again, for all you do for everyone in need of your advice. :D Now I want to find a nice place to eat on the water taxi route. Any rec's?

There are many nice places right outside your hotel along Las Olas Blvd... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

15th Street Fisheries... http://www.15streetfisheries.com/

And Shirttail Charlie's are both very popular... http://www.shirttailcharlies.com/

As is the funky old Downtowner Saloon... http://www.downtownersaloon.com/

If you're a steak lover, Jackson's, a block west of the Riverside Hotel is one of the best in the country... http://www.jacksonssteakhouse.com/

Trent:

We have our group at the

FLL HIEX Convention Center 12/26/05

the night before our Radisson voyager cruise.

Based on what I have read it sounds like a nice clean ok hotel and we have a group rate.

A couple of members are having a little concerned and are thinking about

staying at the Hyatt Regency.

Now I realize this is apple and oranges trying to compare the two

but for one night do you think it would matter? Expecially when the idea is

to meet one another and maybe have a drink and go out to dinner.

Any comments appriciated.

Yeah, the Holiday Inn Express and Hyatt Pier 66 are apples and oranges, but for one night, especially considering that the Hyatt is in the middle of a major remodeling project, and considering the huge price difference, I'd keep the Holiday Inn Express.

That particular Holiday Inn Express is indeed a nice clean hotel, it's not very old, and right in the middle of everything you could want. It's within walking distance to many many nice restaurants.

I'm a very picky person myself, but I have no concerns with that particular Holiday Inn Express, or the Extended Stay America next door.

Archived