Questions about Viking Waterways of the Tsars

PhillyGirl2

We are considering taking this cruise in July and after reading the message boards, it is difficult to determine whether it is going to be worthwhile. Some complained about food and cabins, others praised it. I know that travel is a personal experience and not everyone sees things with the same eyes, but if anyone can tell me whether it's worth our time and money to book this cruise, I would greatly appreciate your candor. Also, do you have to get a VISA to go off on your own during the cruise? Are you required to stay with the group while on shore? Thanks so much for any and all advice.:)

My suggestion is to go with Vantage instead. They put you up in first class hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The traffic in both cities is horrendous, and the time it takes getting from the boat to the sights eats into your time.

Below is the link to our trip story. We ae always happy to answer any questions.

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/russia2013.pdf

before they got new ships(updated cabins).We enjoyed the country and sights,but would have taken a different cruise company.Perhaps its improved,but food and cabins pretty mediocre. Took bus to both St.Pete and Moscow,or could do subway on own.

Also, this was before all the unrest over there.Hear AMA cancelled their cruise,or would have taken them.

So,look at other companies for comparison. See if its right for YOU, everyone is different.Glad I went,but wish I d done more research.Also, happy I did it yrs.ago and would probably NOT DO IT this yr.till things get better politically.

My suggestion is to go with Vantage instead. They put you up in first class hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg. The traffic in both cities is horrendous, and the time it takes getting from the boat to the sights eats into your time.

Below is the link to our trip story. We ae always happy to answer any questions.

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/russia2013.pdf

Agree, we had great fiver star hotels in Moscow and STP with Vantage.

Here is my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478384

We did Russia with Uniworld - and it was an amazing experience. Not sure I would go now - given the political climate - but hopefully it will settle down soon.

You do need a Visa to get into the country. Quite an involved process to get one - but it is necessary. Once you have it, you can travel off the boat on your own.

The traffic is horrible - but that is life in Russia. Personally, I love unpacking once during my trip - but some people prefer moving to time on a bus. That is a personal decision, however.

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

My sister and brother-in-law are taking the Viking Waterways of the Tsars cruise next June. They received an email saying that they will no longer be cruising on the Viking Truvor, but on the Viking Akun. When I checked the Viking website, however, it shows that the only ship sailing the Waterways of the Tsars next year is the Viking Ingvar, and the website shows no pricing for a second cruise they offer in Russia that specializes in the Hermitage. Would any one happen to know what is going on with Viking's Russian itineraries? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Like Talisker and Papa we did Russia and Ukraine with Vantage and it was marvelous. Unfortunately I don't think Vantage is doing Russia yet.....in fact Viking may be the only company going next year. Vantage stayed in hotels in both Moscow and St.Petersburg because of the traffic and once you get there you'll know what we mean (unless you already been to Istanbul and Cairo). You will need a Visa in order to go to Russia and Vantage (and pretty much everyone, I think) uses GenVisa. They will send you the paperwork to complete and return to Washington with your check......figure easily $400-$500....you do not need to carry it with you when you leave the ship, in fact, I would NOT take it off the ship unless your TM tells you to. Being an American, your passport is worth more than YOU are! Keep in mind Vantage doesn't own any ships in Russia like Viking does, rather they lease the Tolstoy and use it exclusively for Vantage customers. It was clean and comfortable, but it is old.

The food was not what we expect of a vantage cruise but it was certainly more than adequate and the meals we ate in restaurants were fantastic.....especially the Soviet Cafe in St. Petersburg. It is an expensive trip, but if you're interested in Russia, it was well worth the price. The people were very interested in us and the men treat senior citizens much better than we're used to. To my knowledge there have not been any incidents or unpleasantness involving American tourists anywhere in Russia. Of course, you will not be able to go to the Ukraine like we did and that is too bad because it was one of the highlights of the trip.

Edited by Hydrokitty