Nov 1 2014 - Explorer to Fla from NY, Lifeboat Crashes

More parade

ExplorerRepo2325_zpse1073e9e.jpg

ExplorerRepo2328_zps12e225f6.jpg

ExplorerRepo2351_zpsee948030.jpg

After the parade we rushed up on deck to admire the last sunset of the cruise and it was a good one. We then hit the concierge lounge where we ran into our Progressive Trivia buddies Jim and Janet.

ExplorerRepo2363_zps2c863155.jpg

ExplorerRepo2370_zps58459683.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

The last night is always bittersweet as everybody says farewell, especially on a long 2 week cruise like this. I did spot Billy the Erky teeshirt guy along with his wife Philomena; we had also seen them at Karaoke several times.

ExplorerRepo2247_zps9a50377a.jpg

We got all the luggage out and settled in for the last night. Since this was the first time Explorer was coming to Port Canaveral as a final destination, we hoped all would be smooth. Per the guides we would not be in until after 9 AM.

Thank you sharing all the wonderful pictures. Reminding us of places we have been and where are going back too. Love the pictures of the couple with matching outfits. My wife and I need to work on that more. Pretty incredible to see the life boat like that also. We enjoyed our cruise on Explorer out of Quebec to Bayonne.

Day 15

Port Canaveral, Florida. At the first sighting of land I went out on the balcony to see what would be happening since we would be coming in at almost a civilized time, not 5 AM as frequently happens. I saw the big Disney ship ahead and then the Explorer stopped dead in the water. There was a small boat a few hundred feet off the port side with several men standing up and looking at our ship. They appeared to be studying the two damaged lifeboats and mapping out a plan. Lifeboat 22, which was partially damaged, was then moved in and out on its davits as if to check the operating mechanism. # 20 obviously could not be moved for checking since it was still resting on deck 4. During the storm it had hit the ship right below us, two decks down. The cabin to our left had sustained some kind of damage as others saw maintenance replacing carpeting and other pieces of furniture. We didn’t see this.

We eventually pulled into our slip where we joined the Disney ship and two Carnival ships, Liberty and Sunshine (Destiny).

Our assigned waiting area was deck four, the theater balcony. After a wait, we were called and we load our carryons up and went out to get on the exit line. I saw The Couple and they waved to us so naturally I took another picture, saying good bye.

ExplorerRepo2260_zpsbbbb73ce.jpg

ExplorerRepo2263_zpscc39f9d6.jpg

ExplorerRepo2265_zps1edf7b10.jpg

ExplorerRepo2266_zps7603e365.jpg

ExplorerRepo2268_zps339f88b2.jpg

One more time

ExplorerRepo2295_zps9240d83a.jpg

The two Carnival ships, Liberty and Sunshine.

ExplorerRepo2276_zpscee2ec8b.jpg

ExplorerRepo2278_zpsa837d2e3.jpg

We had tag 1 and we thought that we could get off fast. From what I could see, almost half of the pax were self assist so once off we were in the middle of the pack. The real scramble happened in the luggage area. PC uses conveyor belts where luggage is broken up by first even and odd and then by sub categories (1,5,9) and (3,7,11). The luggage was supposed to be loaded on the conveyors by number but we could see that 9s were coming thru while some of our 1s still had not shown up. Stressful times, especially for DW who is a professional worrier. We eventually retrieved our 2 missing bags, located a porter, and were wheeled off to the area where the rental car shuttles would pick up their passengers. There were 4 slots where a rental car shuttle could come in and eventually we figured out where Avis would come in. We couldn’t get on the first but parked ourselves where we would be close to the front of the line for the next.

ExplorerRepo2284_zps4290132d.jpg

The two crains setup to remove the damaged lifeboats.

ExplorerRepo2289_zps5b410ee8.jpg

ExplorerRepo2291_zpscafc1862.jpg

Edited by The Big Booper

I busied myself taking pictures of the lifeboat removals and replacement.

I started to walk back to where DW was waiting (and hyperventilating) when I spotted The Couple with their luggage. They had too much stuff to fly so they had arranged to rent a minivan and drive themselves back up North. I hope they had a good trip, this port was very stressful to passengers arriving and departing.

The lifeboats come down.

ExplorerRepo2296_zps23bb28f0.jpg

ExplorerRepo2297_zpsd8b1a41d.jpg

ExplorerRepo2298_zps94217502.jpg

ExplorerRepo2307_zps11f04668.jpg

Empty davits

ExplorerRepo2312_zps09938baa.jpg

Replacement lifeboat for 22

ExplorerRepo2313_zpsa48aebbf.jpg

I enjoyed reading your report & seeing the photos. :) It's fun seeing the same trip we were on through someone elses eyes! I journaled the trip as well and have been posting it on my blog with some photos (link is in my signature).

Have seen the ice show five times and this time was the first time they did not have any kids to ride the sleds in the show. Guess there were not enough on the cruise to draw from.

We have seen the ice shows several times during our cruises on the Explorer so we decided not to go to this trip. Otherwise, they would've had 6 kids to pick from. :p My older 4 kids have been in it in the past.

Re: "The Couple"

I will never complain about my wife bringing too many shoes or outfits ever again (LOL)

I must say the woman does an awesome job of designing outfits and accessories though!!!

Cheers,

Looks like they had 11 or 12 bags. They did look really spiffy!! But I would hate to do their packing.

Early in the afternoon we were caught in a rainstorm that lasted around 15 minutes. When it stopped we hustled our way back to the ship in case it started again. We bumped into The Couple and they were prepared for inclement conditions. We don’t arrange these meetings, they just do lots of the things that we do. Notice his shirt and her skirt.

ExplorerRepo1458_zpsc7558c63.jpg

ExplorerRepo1460_zps174c2fb0.jpg

I noticed her shoes too and I wonder if she makes his shirts. I remember seeing them on the Explorer a few years ago. Going to miss my Explorer. By the way great review.

Have seen the ice show five times and this time was the first time they did not have any kids to ride the sleds in the show. Guess there were not enough on the cruise to draw from.

We went to 2 ice shows and both times they didn't ask my daughter who is 12. She was a little disappointed but I think they may have been looking for younger ones. I did see kids in the audience at one show. Don't know why they didn't ask. We made use of that ice skating rink when it was open to the public though. The skaters told me that they noticed some kids in audience but it was RC job to ask them as they came in. No biggie. Overall, ice show was #3 on my list of entertainment. First was anything with erky and leigh, 2nd was Led Zeppelin, and ice show was #3 as well as all non singing venues. Had a great time and still telling stories from all of our crazy adventures on the islands. :)

Edited by jean87510

Loved this review and that picture was the money shot!!!!;)

Thanks for taking me along on your cruise!!!

100% coincidence:D. I never went looking for them, they just were on the same schedule as us. Always gracious when I asked if I could take their picture.