IOS 11/15-22 Couples Cruise - comparisons to regular cruises

I'd be really interested if you'd write a review of this cruise. I've put it out as a trial balloon to the wife. Not into the lifestyle but not bothered by it either. Like the idea of a kid free cruise on a bigger ship w features plus using our diamond benefits. Price is a consideradtion. I generally think you are an observant guy, your review and opinions would be insightful
There were reviews from the past two yesrs posted here in the RCL boards. It was well written, vanilla, mature. Probably find it with a search on adult only or such. Same OP did both years.

Per LMaxwell's request, following will be some of my observations of the recent Couples Cruise charter on Independence of the Seas November 15-22. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not going to try to write a detailed, day by day review of the entire cruise, honestly not up to that - but will try to review my (our) thoughts about this chartered cruise vs. regular cruises.

Additionally, as shellunderwater said, there have been some excellent, detailed reviews written about past Couples Cruises by Karter. As a matter of fact, it was reading those reviews and then becoming friends with Karter and talking with him more that led us to book our first one on Celebrity Century in May. We had such a great time that we booked the November Indy cruise soon after our return. Karter's detailed review threads of previous Couples Cruises are HIGHLY recommended!

OVERVIEW

Couples Cruises are, as the name implies, for couples only. There are a very few limited exceptions to this, but I'd venture that about 98% or more of those aboard are couples. No singles allowed, unless they share a room with a couple, and no one under 21 allowed - a truly "adults only" cruise! I think Couples Cruise themselves explains it as clearly as I ever could:

A Couples Cruise® is like no other adult cruise. We have a great group of passengers on board that include swingers, nudists, kinky couples into BDSM & Tantra classes and adults that enjoy a kids free vacation. These are some of the most fun couples you will ever meet. Not a swinger or a nudist? Don't worry, on a Couples Cruise®, any open minded couple that likes Mardi Gras or Fantasy Fest will love our clothing optional cruises.

You do not have to be nude, you can just go topless or you can never take off your bathing suit. In fact, some of the sexy bathing suits are on some of our hottest cruisers. We do not allow any sex in public spaces, so you won't have to worry about being offended as long as you are ok with a little nudity and topless women on the pool deck.

We are not swingers (or "in the lifestyle" as you'll hear it referred to.) We aren't really "hard core" nudists either, although we did enjoy some nude sunbathing and hot-tubbing during this cruise. Have to be careful not to overdo the nude sunbathing though, those bits which almost never see the sun can sunburn quickly if you're not careful! ;)

DEMOGRAPHICS

Again, the huge majority of cruisers are couples. Beyond that though, the demographic variety is surprisingly broad. From 20s to 70s and a few beyond, from runway model head turners to (how to say this gracefully?) hefty suburbanites - you'll find a huge cross section on board a Couples Cruise. As for "the lifestyle", I've seen varying estimates, but I'll refer back to Karter - he says he thinks something under 50% are true "swingers." The rest fall into categories of nudists, and those like us who enjoy the chance to let our hair down and dress more risque' than we'd dare normally, party & dance more than we would normally, and enjoy the generally "sexy" atmosphere - with the "behind closed door" benefits in our own cabin resulting from that sexy atmosphere - 'nuff said! :cool:

To be "right" for and enjoy a Couples Cruise requires that you be open-minded and accepting of that sexy atmosphere - and some will push the boundaries more than others! As long as you're open-minded and fun-loving you should have a great time, whether or not you have any inclination whatsoever to "participate in the lifestyle."

As stated on their website, Couples Cruise definitely does not allow sexual activity anywhere in public aboard the ship. In fact, before you board you're required to sign a "Code of Conduct" document where you acknowledge and agree to abide by the rules, and a few couples have been put off the ships for not following those rules (after being warned.) Nothing beyond french kissing is allowed in any public areas, including pools and hot tubs - and Couples Cruise has staff constantly patrolling in addition to the RCI staff making sure those rules are adhered to.

The "lifestyle" activities are focused on a few "playrooms" which are available during afternoons and evenings (until the wee hours of the morning!) If you aren't into such activities, just don't go into the playrooms, and again - you should never see any overt sexual activity beyond french kissing anywhere else.

GENERAL ATMOSPHERE

I have to say that the two Couples Cruises we've now been on have been far and away the friendliest cruises we've ever been on, and we've made some great new friends. Since everyone onboard is a couple, and most come on board wanting to meet people, most cruisers are very outgoing, friendly and easy to talk to. There are no assigned seatings for dinner, its essentially "MTD" for everyone, and you can show up with a group of new or old friends, show up by yourselves and answer positively when asked if you're "willing to share" a table, or request a table for 2. We only did the latter once during the entire cruise - Couples Cruises more than a "regular" cruise are social experiences.

The general atmosphere aboard is "sexier" than a regular cruise. This is much easier to accomplish when you're assured that there are absolutely no kids on the ship! I may be biased as a male, but I'd say that the women in general dress much sexier than usual. Hemlines are higher, cleavages are deeper cut, and some of the clothes are more see-through than you'd find in a "normal" setting. This is particularly true when dinner and the evening activities commence each evening.

Full nudity is allowed (when not in port) on the pool decks and women are allowed to be topless in the nightclub/dance venues in the evenings. Other than that, "full" dress is required in all public areas - although again, the "style" of "full" dress is more risque' than you'd normally see! As such, people watching is fantastic and we enjoyed grabbing a table at a bar at various points in the Promenade several evenings after dinner, share a drink with friends and just enjoy the people-watching!

Couples Cruise brings on much of the entertainment for the week, and it too generally falls into the "little bit more risque' than normal" category. Aerial shows in the Cirque de Soliel style, but I heard it compared more with Zumanity from the Cirque folks, vs. regular Cirque shows. (Google "Zumanity" if you're not familiar.) Everything from the piano bars with singalongs to the karaoke to the nightclubs are definitely more "adult" in flavor, again because there's no danger of any young and innocent (?) kids eyes/ears seeing or hearing anything.

One more observation on dress - as I've said, during the evenings, for dinners, the women in particular seem to dress up more, so their guys end up doing so also. Like any cruise, there are two "formal nights" during the week, but the Compass lists the dress code for the rest of the evenings (at dinner) as "dress to impress" and that's a good description of what you'll see at the MDR. Virtually no controversy whatsoever about shorts, sleeveless tees and ballcaps in the MDR, you simply don't see that. A commonly repeated joke about these cruises is that the cruisers generally end up bringing more luggage/clothes/outfits for these (partially) nude cruises than for any regular cruise!

COST

Save the possible negative for last - these charters will almost always cost somewhat more than a regular RCI cruise. Couples Cruise is responsible for setting the cabin prices, and the lowest for an inside is about $750-$800pp for an inside, plus $375pp taxes and gratuities (everyone prepays gratuities.) So an inside on Indy this month would have cost a couple about $2300, while a standard balcony would cost about $3800 or so, including taxes/gratuities.

Additionally, you'll find no last minute fire sales - Couples Cruise sets the initial prices, and when you book they provide a guarantee - should they lower the price on the cabin class you booked at any time after you book, they promise a refund to all who booked before that, so that you're guaranteed the lowest price by booking early. As a matter of fact, those waiting until the last minute to book often pay a little MORE, they'll actually raise prices (marginally) as the cruise approaches.

This actually seems to work out pretty well for them, I think Indy sailed at around 96-97% full, and that's without any last minute fire sales.

If I've left something out, or there are questions, I'll try to answer them as I can. In closing, if you're open-minded, if the chance to experience a 7 night cruise that's ALL ADULT, ALL THE TIME - and again, a little sexier for you and your partner than any other cruise you'll be on - then we highly recommend Couples Cruise. We've been on two, and they won't be our last!