Newbe..Diamond or Coral

SANDBRJ

Hello, I just discovered this board and its coming in very handy. I'm trying to organize an Alaska trip for some coworkers and friends (and I've never been on a cruise before either). We are looking at the 7N package (Vancouver to Whittier). Some may just do cruise, some may do cruise/tour. I have several questions:

1. I know this is probably asked all the time: What time of year is preferable? Is mid/late June too early? I hear the flys/mosquitos are worse during May/June vs July/August.

2. We are looking at the Diamond or Coral. I've read good things about both. On the Diamond, some may have to get inside cabins to reduce costs(such as those not sharing a cabin). The cheapest cabins are the 'K' cabins on the plaza deck (where the restaurants are). For those getting balcony, we have been looking at the 'B' cabins on Baja deck. Are these 'ok' cabins?

3. What part of the ship is preferable for those prone to motion sickness (mid ship or stern)?

Any help is appreciated...Thanks.

Hi

June is aperfect time to go. But so is July and August I don't remember having any issues with misquitos in Alaska. As for where to get your cabins you are better off mid-ship especially if there are new cruisers since you won't know if any one will get sea sick. Alaska is such a beautiful place no metter which ship or which cabin you won't be able to not enjoy it! :)

Have a great time!

To add to the above poster, usually cabins on lower decks feel less motion than those on upper decks.

For insides, you are looking at the right locations, although a little bit forward, but that should not be a big problem. For the balconies, I think you are looking at the BB category, and the best balconies are on the Caribe deck on the Diamond. It is one deck below the Baja, but the BB's on the Caribe are forward and aft, not in the middle. Pretty much a trade off for location, but the bigger balconies are worth it. If you book early, you should be able to get rooms very close to the BA section midships.

We just returned in May from Alaska on the Coral. I prefer that ship to the Diamond because of the size. The Coral is a bit smaller and it does make a difference, waiting in lines, getting your food--just not as crowded and a bit cozier; it was a lovely ship and cruise. It seems to be many people's favorite line with the Princess. It holds about 1950 and I know the Diamond is larger. Mid ship is the best for seasickness...we had no problems however and we were toward the back. We took one tour in Juneau to a salmon bake and the mosquitoes were terrible. Just take some OFF. I don't know what the other months are like as far as mosquitoes. I don't think you can go wrong with any month your cruise Alaska - weather is unpredictable and at any rate, you will thoroughly enjoy this trip. The scenery is the most gorgeous I've ever seen. Dress warmly when you are near the glaciers.

For me, the choice would be very easy: Coral. I am not a fan of the megaships.

Coral we found to be very well laid out, with an easy deck plan.

Earlier in June the better, fewer crowds. We actually prefer late May, or after Labor Day.

Archived